Buying gear in Anchorage or Wasilla?

ysr_racer

Reaction score
I finally have my trip planned out. I’m flying into Anchorage, then driving up to Wasilla for a shotgun tournament. Then my wife’s flying in and we’re driving down to Soldotna to fish.

Here’s my question, we need to get waders and boots. Should we buy them in Anchorage or Wasilla? I’m already going to Sportsman’s Warehouse in Anchorage to get ammo. What about Wal-Mart?

I’m looking for inexpensive gear. Anybody have any recommendations where to get it?

Thanks, Brad

AKCheese

Reaction score
Walmart

Walmart

Probably has cheaper gear dollar wise

Sportsmans warehouse has a good selection but their prices haven't impressed me at all

If this is stuff you're going to just use and throw/give away go with Walmart

There's one in Anchorage and one in Wasilla.........prices are probably the same

RobT

Reaction score
Sportsman's Warehouse will have anything you need and Walmart is across the street. Personally, I woudl either buy in Anchorage or Soldotna. Soldotna Harware and Fishing is always well stocked and reasonably priced. I've been goiung there for a couple of decades now and NEVER disappointed. Even if you buy in Anchorage, stop in there while you are in Soldotna.....After all, you can never have enough fishing gear.

AlaskaHippie

Reaction score
If your not too discerning you can always rent waders and some rods in Cooper Landing at the Kenai Cache.....

gokorn1

Reaction score
walmart has the best prices anywhere in town. their stuff is 2-10 bucks cheaper

Grizzly1

Reaction score
Check out Mt. View Sporting Goods, they are located on Old Seward and 36th on the West side of Old Seward next to New Sagaiya (sp?).

I like wearing polar fleece pants (if it's really cold I throw on a pair of heavy weight bottoms under the fleece) for colder water/fall or light weight workout pants for warmer water/summer.

Rod in Wasilla

Reaction score
Don't forget about B&J's in Anchorage. Good selection and there's always someone to talk to who actually uses the gear they sell. Walmart may be a little cheaper and Sportsmans Warehouse may have a good selection but the folks at B&J's can and will talk to you about what works and what doesn't, and they have what works in stock. They really know their stuff.