Bunch of trapping & mushing pics from last month

martentrapper

Reaction score
We did use a boat to transport the fish. Boating on the Yukon and Nowitna was/is fairly easy. Large river skiff hauls quite a load. Did alot of my freighting during the years I trapped on my own with a 19 ft. sq. stern grumman and a 15 hp.
Spending fall and winter in the same camp allowed for throwing late season fish in a crib on the bank. Bugs were about gone by that time of the year and fish could sour and then freeze. Dug outta the snow later in winter. Late coho and whitefish run on Yukon produced a good supply of green fish for winter dog food.
Did you ever consider a permanent camp on, or closer to, the Yukon?

bushrat

Reaction score
Nope, never thought about a permanent camp or place on the Yukon. Used to do a lot of summer fish camps there, but haven't done that in a long while now, since most of the river folks are gone. Fish runs aren't what they used to be either. Times they are a changin',

AlpineEarl

Reaction score
Absolutely awesome photos Mark. I continue to be impressed by your way of life. Post some of those wolf and wolverine photos when you get a few. Take care, stay warm.

bonanza

Reaction score
Awesome photos! Thanks. Re: the biologists wolf/wolverine story. Last year I got a large male wolverine with good sized bite marks mostly healed on the top of the head and at the base of the tail. Figured it was from wolves. Good luck out there.

6XLeech

Reaction score
Great thread, Mark. You worked hard for these photos.
Amazing how much the land tells those who put in their time. You really get to know the land I see.
Thank you for sharing these pics.

FurFishGame

Reaction score
Sweet man! you use tainted fish or fresh? do you use any scent? Its rare I cut a marten track these days, 3 years ago I caught 2 with in a week, but I think they were flukes, I was using pig fat and bacon grease. hanvn't caught another one since then. only cut one set of tracks this year, hey used to be in real thick (not as thick as you guys, but I'd see one most every day on my way home from work.

Latest posts