Brow Tine Dispute in Homer

cdubbin

Reaction score
A local hunter had this bull confiscated, he's crying foul, says it's 3 brow tines for sure, and the Homer biologist screwed up...what say you guys? I personally would have let this one walk 10 out of 10 times...

Attachments

• photo87675.jpg
    photo87675.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 76

cdubbin

Reaction score
Maybe if they held it long enough that non-point would dry out and shrink enough in width to meet the required measurement!:lol:

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/moosehunting/pdfs/moose_hunting_antler_restricted_areas_brochure.pdf

I was told that the first point actually continues below the tarp, and measured at less than 1", so I'm not sure then why the bio dinged this rack...could be he doesn't see them as brow tines at all, but part of the main palm? I dunno...he's a very knowledgeable moose bio though, and many folk on social media in Homer are calling for his head now...

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
...and many folk on social media in Homer are calling for his head now...
They should pool their money and hire one of those top-shelf attorneys so poplar these days; one who will deny reality to its face and threaten to release the kraken!:grintears2:

Patsfan54

Reaction score
How wide is the lettering in Polaris on the tailgate of that bed, and is that 1/2" or 3/4" line? "Tine/point - an antler projection at least 1 inch long, and longer than it is wide, with the width measured 1 inch or more from the tip." I'm guessing the biologists used a tape measure or caliper, something not seen in this photo or on (anti)social media. Without a better photo or one with a measuring tape it looks wider than it is long an inch or more from the tip.

Last edited:

33outdoorsman

Reaction score
It’s an unusual rack and definitely not a “typical” 3 brow tine bull but I see 3 brow tines. The first tine sure looks longer than it is wide. I guess it depends on where you measure to get the official width for that “point.”

AK Bearcat

Reaction score
I who say 'three' brow tines' but like others here, i would have let it walk away. Have in the past!!!

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
I'm guessing the biologists used a tape measure or caliper, something not seen in this photo or on (anti)social media.
I've not watched them do it, but I would assume they use a machined cylinder with a 1" inside diameter, and a length of 1". That's what I would use anyway. Slip it over the point in question and it bottoms out at 1" width; if the point protrudes proud of the end of the tool it's legal, if the point is sub-flush it's not legal. Easy peasy.

extrema

Reaction score
Looks like 3 to me. I'da let the guy take it home if I was the bio. Musta been having a bad day or maybe there's a history with the hunter just a guess.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
A friend of mine once shot a moose that was 30 something inches but had three brow tines.
One of the tines was a little odd but according to the regulations book it was a legal moose.
When he took it to ADF &G in Soldotna to get it sealed Larry Lewis who worked there at the time (he's now retired) came out to seal his moose.
He took one look at it and said he was a big game hunter and trophy scorer and people should not shoot moose like that and saw no brow times on it.
When the fish and wildlife Troopers showed up to write him a ticket one of them saw one by one brow tines and the other one saw two by one brow tines.
But in the end he got the head trooper in Soldotna to rip up the ticket and the head biologist for the Kenai Peninsula also confirmed it was a 100% legal moose and if needed agreed to write an affidavit or show up in court to confirm it.
I say this to say that ADF&G doesn't always get it right and I've never heard of them using some machined tool to verify tine length. Go to like that would be a good idea for them to have.
I do see three brow tines on this one myself.
And if I had a view as good as the one that we have here I think I would have shot it.
Especially if that first tine does indeed extend a little more below the tarp.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
Would you have shot it? (Kind of an unfair question, knowing that the animal was confiscated and the hunter fined, but still...)

Based on what I'm seeing here, yeah, I would have shot it.

What is the argument for it not being three? Are they saying that the tine closest to the head on the right side of the picture isn't longer than it is wide? Or are they suggested that there is a bay between the 2nd and 3rd tines?

4merguide

Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing here, yeah, I would have shot it.

What is the argument for it not being three? Are they saying that the tine closest to the head on the right side of the picture isn't longer than it is wide? Or are they suggested that there is a bay between the 2nd and 3rd tines?
That’s what I was thinking. Because the first point looks plenty long enough to me, they must be thinking that top tine is in the valley? It doesn’t quite project forward either, but somewhat out to the side as well. Hard to say what the bio is disputing. That point “in the valley” can really get iffy at times.

MacGyver

Reaction score
I say this to say that ADF&G doesn't always get it right and I've never heard of them using some machined tool to verify tine length.

I also have not heard of a machine tool. That did not stop me from making several 1.00 inch by 1.00 inch rings and handing them out to hunting friends.

A question I have is why don't they a have the proper equipment????????

catchfish

Reaction score
It appears to be a legal bull to me, and I very well would have shot it myself judging by what I see.