Black powder in Anchorage?

Louis

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's anywhere to buy real black powder in the Anchorage area now? I'm planning a trip down there in the near future. I used to pick up a few pounds at Great Northern Guns every time I was in the area but now with GNG gone and Goex out of production I'm not so optimistic about finding any.

kobuk

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. I am going to drive a vehicle up from Oregon. If anyone knows of a place down that direction, maybe we could go in on an order and I'll bring it back up.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I've still got six or seven pounds at my house.
A mix of FFG for my rifle & FFFG for my pistol.
When that runs out I'm just going to make my own.
I have all of the equipment and it's not that hard to do.
I've made plenty of it for rocketry projects and I've got the equipment to make more consistent powder for rifle and pistol.
Of course there's a lot of substitutes available at local stores if a person wanted to go that route.
Stores on the peninsula had several different varieties in stock the other day including the pelletized stuff.

kobuk

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I do have some Goex but I feel like I'm hording it! I did buy a lb of 777 but havent tried it yet. I'm shooting a percussion cap rifle and it is supose to work. I also just bought a tumbler from harbor freight when I was down in Oregon so I could try making some. I haven't made any charcoal yet but we have plenty of alder around so that's nice. What di you use for your Tort or whatever you call your charcoal cooker? Now if I could find some more percussion caps!

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I do have some Goex but I feel like I'm hording it! I did buy a lb of 777 but havent tried it yet. I'm shooting a percussion cap rifle and it is supose to work. I also just bought a tumbler from harbor freight when I was down in Oregon so I could try making some. I haven't made any charcoal yet but we have plenty of alder around so that's nice. What di you use for your Tort or whatever you call your charcoal cooker? Now if I could find some more percussion caps!

For your charcoal you want to use Willow if you can get it.
This will give you the fastest burn rate.
For your retort just pick up a new empty gallon paint can from Home Depot. Cook it once to burn out the lacquer coating on the inside or do that with your propane plumbers torch.
Put a hole in the lid in the center and you're good to go.
Dozens of tutorials on how to make charcoal this way on YouTube.
Caps are also easy to make.
I have a cap maker that uses aluminum soda can metal to punch out the caps.
Then they're filled with a simple H48 primer mix.
A drop of acetone seals in the primer mix.
I haven't tested the homemade primers yet but I don't see why they wouldn't work and there's several YouTube videos on people making and firing them without issues.
None of this stuff is as simple as purchasing them from the store, but if you have the time and a few simple materials you can take care of your needs yourself.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Louis

Reaction score
Thanks. folks. Kobuk, I don't know much about what's available in Oregon. It might be tough finding any black powder with Goex not producing at this time. Right now I'm good for a while on Goex, I have plenty for my flintlock pistol and the rifle which I don't have yet. But if you do plan to get some down there and need someone else to pitch in to make worth your while please let me know. I have a caplock rifle and as far as I know Pyrodex is still available here. Making black powder sounds interesting. Might be a project for the future.

kobuk

Reaction score
I'll look around while I'm down in the lower 48. We are going to check out a few other states before we turn north. If I can find anything, I'll grab what I can and let you know.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they had 777 and Pyrodex on the shelf. No BP that I saw. No caps.
Sportsman's Warehouse won't carry black powder.
In order to sell black powder you need a federal explosives license.
Which is a different license than the one required to sell standard reloading powders or black powder equivalents.
That's why Great Northern guns in Anchorage was the only place in Alaska that sold real black powder as apparently they had the correct licensing to do so.

Steven_JR

Reaction score
I'll just throw my name out there as someone who would be willing to pitch in for a bulk order if anyone has the means/time to complete such an order....and can find a source to purchase it from.

kobuk

Reaction score
We will be going through Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming before heading back to Alaska. I've been looking but haven't found a source, if anyone can find some powder, let me know where and I'll pick some up.

AKBEE

Reaction score
GNG isn’t gone- one of the longtime employee’s took it over.

kasilofchrisn

Reaction score
GNG isn’t gone- one of the longtime employee’s took it over.
Yes but did they retain the licensing required to sell black powder?
I believe black powder requires an explosive license not just an FFL.
And with Goex being the brand that they carried and that plant being shut down it makes one wonder if they still carry any real BP?

AKBEE

Reaction score
And with Goex being the brand that they carried and that plant being shut down it makes one wonder if they still carry any real BP?

No idea of what they are carrying, but the website has a contact number as well as link to get quotes, and Sunday is the only day they are closed. If I am close by in the next couple of days I will stop in and ask.

rsalzwedel

Reaction score

The GOEX plant in Minden LA is suppose to ramp back up this summer with powder by 4th qtr 2022 or 1st qtr 2023.

kobuk

Reaction score
I did call ant talk with a guy at GNG and they are waiting on their liscense to sell Black powder. He didn't know a timeline. At least they will be selling it at some time! I did find a couple of sources down in the states that will have swiss and another brand here this month or into next. I also found a couple places that have goex so must be leftover? Not sure. I also read that I would only be able to carry something like 8KG through canada. I was hoping to bring back a little more than that.

Louis

Reaction score
I did call ant talk with a guy at GNG and they are waiting on their liscense to sell Black powder. He didn't know a timeline. At least they will be selling it at some time! I did find a couple of sources down in the states that will have swiss and another brand here this month or into next. I also found a couple places that have goex so must be leftover? Not sure. I also read that I would only be able to carry something like 8KG through canada. I was hoping to bring back a little more than that.

Thanks. Encouraging to hear that GNG is carrying on and that they plan to have black powder again. Too bad you can't transport more through Canada, I should be in good shape, at the rate I've been using black powder lately if GNG gets it back in stock in a year or so. There was a guy in the Fairbanks area advertising black powder on a website, think it was Nor\west company. I don't know what their status is now. It didn't look like the website had been updated for quite a few years.

Louis

Reaction score
I dropped by GNG on Friday. They actually had caps in stock and I picked up a couple tins. There was a bigger selection of traditional muzzleloaders on the shelves than I remember seeing before..A .62 cal. Jaeger style flintlock really caught my eye...too bad I'd just spent all of my allowance on airplane parts.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an older can of Goex FFg, Superfine 16 oz. I DO NOT KNOW THE AGE. I have never opened it as it came in a bulk powder buy.

I will be over to Anchorage on the 26th if someone needs it. Just give me what you think it is worth.

Latest posts