• Snowshoe Hare

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Waterfowl (ducks, geese, cranes)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Upland birds (grouse and ptarmigan)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Lynx (hey some people like it)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Any Other (Bison, Musk Ox, Roosevelt Elk, Mt. Goat)

Votes: 43 27.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
I saw a post earlier in the small game section where a guy from Alabama was asking about eating different game meat. I thought it would be interesting to create a best tasting game meat poll in AK.

I answered Dall sheep. It's been awhile since I've been on a sheep hunt. Mainly because it doesn't work well with my work schedule and because in order to go I would have to give up going moose or caribou hunting and there's not enough meat on a sheep to last through the winter. But, I do confess that it is the best tasting meat I have tried from Alaska game. I hope to go on another sheep hunt soon.

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
Other: If handled correctly in the field, Mt. Goat would be my first choice.

Andy82Hoyt

Reaction score
I'm going with mountain goat, it's the favorite for me and the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Wonderer

Reaction score
Dall sheep is great but I think the effort involved to put one in the freezer influences peoples vote just a little. The best wild game steaks I've ever had were actually from a fat young berry fed black bear. As far as the full package; steaks, roasts, burger, etc. I think I would vote for bison.

Tearbear

Reaction score
Bison has my vote as well. It would be nice if they released those wood bison, so they can get established somewhere...I would like to try one of those too.

PWS_Kyle

Reaction score
For those of you who said musk ox, what other meat would you compare ox to?

Also, why can't I vote here?

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I saw a post earlier in the small game section where a guy from Alabama was asking about eating different game meat. I thought it would be interesting to create a best tasting game meat poll in AK.

I answered Dall sheep. It's been awhile since I've been on a sheep hunt. Mainly because it doesn't work well with my work schedule and because in order to go I would have to give up going moose or caribou hunting and there's not enough meat on a sheep to last through the winter. But, I do confess that it is the best tasting meat I have tried from Alaska game. I hope to go on another sheep hunt soon.
I can't vote yet. All three moose move eaten off of were great, but that bear I was given last year was the best so far.

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
I wish I could re-create this poll with Bison, Musk Ox, Mt. Goat, and Roosevelt Elk as separate options. I didn't realize so many people would choose those choices. I kind of expected that to be the lowest category since not many people get the chance to hunt Bison, Musk Ox and Elk. And I thought Mt. Goat would come in dead last because the time I ate it it was horrible. I'm also very surprised nobody has selected any small game or waterfowl. I thought for sure we would see a lot of people choose those. I never said select the animals that had the most meat, I just said select the "BEST TASTING" meat.

Anythingalaska

Reaction score
I wish I could re-create this poll with Bison, Musk Ox, Mt. Goat, and Roosevelt Elk as separate options. I didn't realize so many people would choose those choices. I kind of expected that to be the lowest category since not many people get the chance to hunt Bison, Musk Ox and Elk. And I thought Mt. Goat would come in dead last because the time I ate it it was horrible. I'm also very surprised nobody has selected any small game or waterfowl. I thought for sure we would see a lot of people choose those. I never said select the animals that had the most meat, I just said select the "BEST TASTING" meat.

I would have voted for Mt. Goat had it been it's own choice. I like goat meat more than deer, and I eat a lot of deer! Absolutely delicious when taken care of and prepared correctly. That being said, I voted for Deer.