Best satellite cell plan?

moose338

Reaction score
My neighbour is saying there’s a second batch of high latitude satellites scheduled for launch from Vandenberg next week, once they get into position that should help. He’ll probably be setting up his device within the next week and I’ll give updates as I get them.

Perhaps we should start a separate Starlink thread since I'm afraid we've kind of hijacked this one.

Last edited:

Patsfan54

Reaction score
I watched the satellite tracking map yesterday for about 30 minutes, I stopped watching when the first satellite went over Alaskan soil and it was just barely over the line in SE near Ketchikan. The amount of the worlds population that resides above where the majority of starlink satellites currently orbit probably isn't worth the expense vs potential income, although Mr. Musk has shown he has different views on the expense vs income ledger than most of us. As the richest individual in the world he might know something I don't...but then maybe that's why there are so few satellites above the 53 parallel?

urbanhillbilly

Reaction score
For what it’s worth…

They say you can’t believe everything you read on the internet, so maybe someone has some experience now that it’s “up and running”

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
For what it’s worth…

They say you can’t believe everything you read on the internet, so maybe someone has some experience now that it’s “up and running”
No changes since last report. Two friends reporting same; at best can't maintain a connection for more than a couple minutes at a time due to insufficient satellites. The coverage tracker isn't lying. Can't say the same for the grifting space clown.

magpie

Reaction score
No changes since last report. Two friends reporting same; at best can't maintain a connection for more than a couple minutes at a time due to insufficient satellites. The coverage tracker isn't lying. Can't say the same for the grifting space clown.
There you have it folks! Iofthetaiga has two “friends” believe it or not! And they don’t know how to setup their starlink. Maybe they could have their great grandkids set it up for them?

🤡

Reaction score
Here's a cool site (not affiliated with Starlink) that shows deployment: https://satellitemap.space/
As I posted this it looks like there are some new satellites maneuvering around the polar region and a few over interior AK but no substantial coverage yet. Looks like there is something going on. Stay tuned!

Reaction score
There you have it folks! Iofthetaiga has two “friends” believe it or not! And they don’t know how to setup their starlink. Maybe they could have their great grandkids set it up for them?

🤡
Make that 3 friends. I have yet to see him post much that isn’t grounded.

For what it is worth, I was working Pybus bay south Admiralty Island, Starlink coverage was great.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Here's a cool site (not affiliated with Starlink) that shows deployment: https://satellitemap.space/
As I posted this it looks like there are some new satellites maneuvering around the polar region and a few over interior AK but no substantial coverage yet. Looks like there is something going on. Stay tuned!
I like starlink.sx, too. It does a good job of accurately depicting connectivity coverage for a given ground point.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Make that 3 friends. I have yet to see him post much that isn’t grounded.

For what it is worth, I was working Pybus bay south Admiralty Island, Starlink coverage was great.
Can you say if you had solid signal 24/7, or just during periodic sweet spots? Up north there are some brief periods when orbits converge sufficiently that you can maintain a connection for awhile, but they're brief and only occur periodically.

Reaction score
Can you say if you had solid signal 24/7, or just during periodic sweet spots? Up north there are some brief periods when orbits converge sufficiently that you can maintain a connection for awhile, but they're brief and only occur periodically.
When I needed it, it worked. The amount of time I spend on internet and phone is VERY minimal however.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
When I needed it, it worked. The amount of time I spend on internet and phone is VERY minimal however.
Understood, thanks. That's the critical distinction to be made. As noted, there are brief periodic windows over the interior when you have more than one satellite in view at a time and can get functionally persistent signal, too, and if testing is done during that brief period, such as when DOD recently conducted tests that were reported in the paper, people can be led to believe it's functional...but then trying to make a connection for longer than three minutes so your kid can do homework, or you can do your banking...not so much. Currently up here the situation is such that during a given 24 hour period, the vast majority of that time you only have a single satellite visible at a time, and only for 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

Last edited:

moose338

Reaction score
Okay, so my neighbour got around to setting up his Starlink on monday. No it's not that it's difficult he just hadn't gotten around to it.

The coverage is spotty, ranging from an hour or so of continuous dead time, to coverage that drops every couple minutes. Now in the interest of fairness, I should say that he has a lot of trees, which are probably obstructing the satellites significantly. Our speculation is that the long continuous periods of no service is when there’s simply no satellites over the area, and that the periods of choppy connectivity are due to obstructions on his property.

The good news is, when it is connected it’s extremely fast. Faster than probably any other internet in the state is or ever will be (in the foreseeable future anyways). Once we have more satellites up here this is probably going to be great internet. Musk has deadlines coming up for when he has to put these satellites up or he’ll lose his license with the FCC, so I have no doubt he will put them up within the next few months to a year. If I recall correctly the first deadline is that he has to have 50% of the satellites up by 2024, but you can look it up if you want to know for sure.

That said, at this moment it is not really functional for anyone trying to do real work. It is showing a lot of promise for what it will be in the future, but to say that interior Alaska has full coverage is rather premature. He’s going to keep it till at least next summer and see how things go so I’ll update you with any new info I get.

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Now in the interest of fairness, I should say that he has a lot of trees, which are probably obstructing the satellites significantly.
Tell him not to go crazy cutting trees in the belief it will help. Of the two folks I know who have tried it, one is on a tower, and the other on a mast atop a high roof with few obstructions, and their experience is same as you describe. When the two nearest satellites are over eastern Russia and western NW Territories respectively, no amount of tree cutting is going to help you. If you have the ability to monitor starlink.sx on a PC while you test the actual starlink on another machine you can see pretty exactly when/why you do or don't have signal.

Last edited:

magpie

Reaction score
It’s a miracle! Just over a week ago iofthetaiga was saying there was no starlink and now it’s here but doesn’t work very well. There’s going to be a Christmas miracle coming for him. 3 ghosts are going to visit him and he will be back to report on how well starlink works!

magpie

Reaction score
^ impossible. Iofthetaiga has a satellite chart that proves otherwise.

magpie

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "soon" and exactly what remains to be done to make Starlink functional in Alaska? I don't see it coming in a timeframe I would define as "soon" (or even "ever"). I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

magpie

Reaction score
I don't know what you built but put me in the I'll believe when I see it group. Not sure how it is a tin foil hat conspiracy to know that Musk over promises and under delivers (how's that Twitter take over going?). Anyway, for over a year now, I go on Starlink's website to see if I can get satellite internet through them. Every time I check, it is just a few months off. Just checked again, 1st Qtr 2023.

How much you want to bet that in November or December when I check again, it will be 2nd Qtr 2023 or later?

View attachment 2784336
Well?