Best all around hunting jacket for early September hunt

alottabs

Reaction score
Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIROND
What brand jacket would you recommend for a September hunt in the Yukon?? I am going to purchase a new jacket for this trip and want to get an "all around" jacket that the seasoned hunters like and use. Please tell me your favorite choices. THANKS!!!!

cdubbin

Reaction score
Layers are vastly better than one bulky garment....merino undies, t-shirt, thin fleece pullover, and wind/waterproof shell is a great versatile system. The one late September float hunt I've done on the upper Yukon, think I pretty much just wore a synthetic sweater and a windbreaker the whole two weeks....but I was doing a lot of hard hiking. If you're going to be stand hunting for long periods, you'll want something warmer.

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll second the advice that layers is what you want, not a single jacket. I wear the same outer shell from April through October - what changes is how many layers I put on underneath. Always a merino wool base layer, sometimes two, and for insulation I use a treated (water resistant) down jacket underneath a rain shell.

Nick Muche

Reaction score
Merino layers, light fleece, puffy and rain shell. No special jackets for me. Basically use the same system for any location in going.

BRWNBR

Reaction score
Love a puffy jacket for a final layer. man they make some nice ones now. Temps can change so much in the fall that the layering system everyone mentioned is key. Also key when it comes time to dry this stuff out! Don’t depend on one jacket to be a do all. My do all set ups are all a combination of layers. Merino base, fleece hoody, light button up microtex shirt, synthetic puffy jacket, rain coat. Sometimes I’ll toss a oversized fleece pull over in to go over my puffy if it’s gonna be chilly chilly.

oakman

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my KUIU Yukon, but it's not cheap. I can put a puffy insulating jacket under that for more warmth if necessary. Keeps me dry and warm. Good combo.

akgun&ammo

Reaction score
all around jacket in September??

a rain jacket- you will need it!

Chris

omg... i'm doing a Ol' What's post

dang

c6 batmobile

Reaction score
Like others have stated, LAYERS! I do love my Sitka rain jacket over a puffy coat. I got to try out a Kuiu guide jacket too and for just wearing a T-shirt under it it was extremely comfortable all the way down into the 30s.

BRWNBR

Reaction score
It’s like a little sleeping bag. Down filled or synthetic insulation. High loft but packs small. High insulating properties but light weight.

We all boycotted wool when this sheep disease stuff came out....lol

BRWNBR

Reaction score
Me too.
One thing about wool that synthetics can't claim is that they are less affected by campfire sparks. Any type of plastic based garment or shell will get a hole, and it's all downhill from there.

Ya it melts them bad. I don’t ever have fires so not a concern but if you enjoy a good blaze...sit back!

.338 mag.

Reaction score
I like a quiet Gortex "uninsulated" jacket that is big enough to layer other garments with. I want it to have both a zipper and snaps as zippers break at the worst times. I like it long enough to cover my kidney area. It also needs to have good pockets with zippers or Velcro.

This is not a replacement for real rain gear!

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
I think the best hunting jacket, is the humble, faded one that is basic, and has seen some miles, like what our frugal grandfathers would wear. hunting gear is getting way too trendy, expensive, and show boatsy.

sitka gear and kuiu floating around the major population centers of Alaska (anchorage, fairbanks, etc), makes me want to vomit.

sayak

Reaction score
I think the best hunting jacket, is the humble, faded one that is basic, and has seen some miles, like what our frugal grandfathers would wear. hunting gear is getting way too trendy, expensive, and show boatsy.

sitka gear and kuiu floating around the major population centers of Alaska (anchorage, fairbanks, etc), makes me want to vomit.
My son was on his iPad ordering a jacket/coat for hunting this fall and called me over to ask me which Sitka Gear pattern I thought was best. I pointed to my old, beat up Woolrich "halibut coat" I bought in Sitka, which cost me about $25, waaaaayyyyy back in the day, and said "That one.". No camo, but it's been on a bunch of hunts from the islands of Southeast Alaska, to the rivers of Southwest Alaska, to the hills of the Interior to the forest of Southcentral. It's got blood stains and a lot of repairs, but it still works just fine and I wouldn't trade it for the coolest high tech coat out there. Too many memories...

I suppose there is something to be said for the high tech gear to keep you warm and dry. For me, I've just always expected that hunting was going to be cold and wet most of the time, it's part of the deal for me. Mostly I'm just cheap.

.338 mag.

Reaction score
"I like a quiet Gortex "uninsulated" jacket that is big enough to layer other garments with. I want it to have both a zipper and snaps as zippers break at the worst times. I like it long enough to cover my kidney area. It also needs to have good pockets with zippers or Velcro."

"This is not a replacement for real rain gear!"

P.S. I forgot to say I want a hood on my jacket.

4merguide

Reaction score
I have a very old wool jacket that had like a silk liner in it at one time, but it's gone now. It also needs a new zipper. I've been thinking about getting a seamstress to fix it all, but having a hard time deciding what kind of liner to use. What do you guys think?

Nunya

Reaction score

X2
Yep..they have to have the latest and greatest

boneguy

Reaction score
I just depends. Are you staying at a cabin or lodge that you can get dry overnight? Tent with stove? Under tarp? Are you covering a lot of ground every day with a pack? Are you hunting with a boat/4 wheeler? Do you plan on being by an open fire? Fly in? Is weight an issue? Helly Hansen Impertec is great for a top rain layer followed by fleece/wool. I usually carry a -30 puffy jacket for around camp. Throw on Carhart jacket if near fire. Cabela's Goretex Gide Jacket and bibs are quiet and work well. Military Goretex pants for skinning moose/bou. Cabela wader jeans are great for the tundra!!
DENNY

[h=1][/h]