Bears chewing rafts

Chez

Reaction score
I know bears love to chew on wheeler seats, plastic gas jugs, and just about everything under the sun so do you take any special precautions to protect your rafts from bears?

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
On the Alaska Peninsula, we anchor them as far from shore as possible. And yes the SOB will still swim out and bite a chunk out. (This is on the large lakes).

Birdstrike

Reaction score
I carry a portable electric fence or two. If game meat has been in the raft the meat pole and raft are away from camp surrounded by a fence. I’ll surround the camp with another fence. Allows me to sleep better with the family along.

Stop by or call AK Raft & Kayak and they will tell you about bear repairs they’ve done.

Gulkana Rafting

Reaction score
We have had a few Bear-Raft issues over the years but each time it has been the hunting group who was at fault. I always remind our float hunting groups that NEVER leave meat in a raft over night....Bloody chew toy for sure. Also it is very important to hang your meat each night and wash the raft out, store it away from camp and hope for the best. Bears love rafts. A 14 foot chew toy!

Walt
Northwestalaska.net

Attachments

• IMGA0034.jpg
    IMGA0034.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

Arleigh

Reaction score
I know that years ago when vinal covers got chewed up because people were using armor all .
i wonder though if something that might deter their interest might be like diesel fuel ?

Birdstrike

Reaction score
I know that years ago when vinal covers got chewed up because people were using armor all .
i wonder though if something that might deter their interest might be like diesel fuel ?

Thats a great idea! Coat our rafts, gear, and meat in diesel fuel. Haha

Chez

Reaction score
I carry a portable electric fence or two. If game meat has been in the raft the meat pole and raft are away from camp surrounded by a fence. I’ll surround the camp with another fence. Allows me to sleep better with the family along.

Stop by or call AK Raft & Kayak and they will tell you about bear repairs they’ve done.

Thanks, I'll research the fences. Do they use deep cycle marine batteries or something smaller/lighter/easier to transport?

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll research the fences. Do they use deep cycle marine batteries or something smaller/lighter/easier to transport?

The one I have uses four D batteries and is supposed to last two weeks.

AKChester

Reaction score
I often leave my raft for a few days while hunting. Had it bit and shredded a couple times without any meat in it. They are curious. Now I hang it in the trees if I’m going to be leave it for a few days.

Brian in AK

Reaction score
Be aware that cold weather greatly affects the output of those portable fence chargers. I've used a couple of different d-cell powered units and found temps in the low 20s reduce the output enough that you can't even feel the the pule with your bare hands.

Gulkana Rafting

Reaction score
We rent bear fences that use 4 D cells and one of my hunters made the mistake of seeing if it works. Zapped his Ar$$

We rent a few every year and they are a worth while investment but the "Low Technology" Pee Fence works too

Walt
Northwestalaska.net
World Class Dolly Varden
907-259-4290

NRick

Reaction score

I wouldn't do that. Bears love the smell of diesel.

ChugiakTinkerer

Reaction score
Be aware that cold weather greatly affects the output of those portable fence chargers. I've used a couple of different d-cell powered units and found temps in the low 20s reduce the output enough that you can't even feel the the pule with your bare hands.

It could be the frozen ground is limiting conductivity. If that's the case the best thing is to run hot and ground wires on the fence pole.

Latest posts