Bear problems in sheep country

Hoyt

Reaction score
Like I said, we keep our food stuff separate. However it isn't far away at all. If something is getting into it, we'll know. At least I like to think that if a bear does come into camp, it will hit the food stash first, and give me enough time to react. Getting attacked by a bear is like crashing an airplane. 9.5 times out of 10 you'll never have a problem. However, that one off chance that you crash your plane, or get attacked by a bear, is going to suck big time. Leaving food items in your tent is like playing with fire. Why not take a little extra precaution?

AKDSLDOG

Reaction score
Like I said, we keep our food stuff separate. However it isn't far away at all. If something is getting into it, we'll know. At least I like to think that if a bear does come into camp, it will hit the food stash first, and give me enough time to react. Getting attacked by a bear is like crashing an airplane. 9.5 times out of 10 you'll never have a problem. However, that one off chance that you crash your plane, or get attacked by a bear, is going to suck big time. Leaving food items in your tent is like playing with fire. Why not take a little extra precaution?

I never leave food "in" my tent, it's stored outside and away from the tent. However, I have and do "cook" in my tent at times. When the wind is howlin and the tent is the ONLY wind break from crappy weather, it gets cooked in. I usually keep 2-3 freeze dried meals and some sealed granola for emergancy's, so if the food cash get's nailed while out for the day, weather, or?

Hoyt

Reaction score
I never leave food "in" my tent, it's stored outside and away from the tent. However, I have and do "cook" in my tent at times. When the wind is howlin and the tent is the ONLY wind break from crappy weather, it gets cooked in. I usually keep 2-3 freeze dried meals and some sealed granola for emergancy's, so if the food cash get's nailed while out for the day, weather, or?

Nice post. My hunting buddy and I do some similar things as you do.

MNViking

Reaction score
Bears have a sense of knowing when you have a tag in your pocket. Keep your bear locking tag in your pocket--and you will have no problems.

I firmly believe this is true. I believe that when you have a tag, you have a more aggressive posture and attitude that the bears pick up on. They sense that you mean business and are not afraid. I have no scientific proof but this is what I believe.

mtcop71

Reaction score
Never had a problem sheep hunting. Bear came within 60 yds of the tent, but once he winded it he hauled ass. Did have a big problem on Kodiak, when I was setting up the beaf fence at night when a bear came in and he didn't stop. he was on a mission. Had to put him down and after further inspection, he was starving. His ribs were showing and everything. So I had a rotting bear carcass 50 yds from camp. Not a good thing!!