Bear Mauling in the Glennallen Area

AKBEE

Reaction score
This guy has a lanyard. That bear was close enough to justify shooting...but then again I've been in the same situation only without a gun...and everything worked out.....
My inclination would have been to have somebody spray that bear while I had it in the sights.....always sketchy in tight like that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atZqRbpb5gg

The range is cause for concern but the behavior did not justify shooting by anyone who has been around bears. That is a young, inquisitive bear. It is not being aggressive imo. Yes things can change quickly. If you spend time around ones this age, you quickly see how they get into trouble with bears and people. I had 2 that age quickly and determinedly walk after me as I was backing away with my wife farther back. When I realized they were more inquisitive than aggressive and were about 5 yards away, I removed my day pack and tossed it in front of me as I continued backing. They stopped, smelled the bag and moved it around for a minute or so (no food in it), then went on their way. I have been nervous with a large black bear that approached the same way but posture was more assertive so I did draw my .500 and was going to touch off a round if it got closer which it did not for some reason. We had a good sized brownie try to climb onto a boulder we were standing on in Kukak Bay- he was curious and decided to lay at the base and eat grass for 45 minutes. The ones popping their teeth but we could not see in the maze at Halo Bay were nerve wracking though.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I have done that five hundred or thousand times. That is how you push bears out of the camp (I once had seven brown bears in camp all at the same time, while protecting five moose hunters). What he did is everyday work guiding in some areas.

In that video that is a very young bear that was just chased off by its mother. They are lonely and lost and confused, they will walk up to to any animal (man or other bear) it is why we find so many cubs that age dead and partly eaten. They will foolishly walk right up to an adult bear who will kill them. I have had them walk right up to where I hit them on the nose with a rifle barrel, or oar or canoe paddle. They are simply confused, lost, bewildered, lonely.

You can do the same thing with full adult bears, you just have to be more careful. I call it....."Pushing bears". Pushing them out of my yard, out of my boat, camp, etc.. it is simply part of living in bear habitat. Especially dense bear habitat like the Alaska Peninsula.

At "NO" point in that video was that a bear "charge". Or a bear "stalking behavior". But very-very-very common bear encounter behavior. Even for the huge monster Brown Bears (occasionally).

Ran them off all the time when I was logging on the coast. Found out it doesn't work so well in June when they are breeding. Much less predictable.

shotgunner2012

Reaction score
I have posted this before on this forum. But it a good example of how fast it can happen even when I was ready and had the rifle in both hands (cartridge in chamber), on full alert. I still did not have time to raise the rifle and shot from the hip.

The muzzle of the rifle was an inch or two from the bears chest. The bear turned and went 180* the way it had come, back into the dark woods.

Now all Hell broke-out 15 feet away, crying and thrashing, and crashing, and it is now dark-dark. The story is getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I tipped off the scope, went in after the wounded bear (Which was hit center behind the shoulder). I skillfully missed the badly wounded bear three times form 12 feet with iron sights. The bear was just thrashing around NOT coming at me. I eventually flipped the scope back up, and could clearly see the bear through the scope and finished it.

We had similar experience with this sow, she absorbed 12 180gr partitions while thrashing around on the tundra before she died.
Alan_Griz.jpg

Hkrjohn

Reaction score
This guy has a lanyard. That bear was close enough to justify shooting...but then again I've been in the same situation only without a gun...and everything worked out.....
My inclination would have been to have somebody spray that bear while I had it in the sights.....always sketchy in tight like that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atZqRbpb5gg

Does anyone have any ideas what he used to attach the lanyard to his revolver? I have couple Ruger Super RedHawks that I would like to attach a lanyard to.

The German

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas what he used to attach the lanyard to his revolver? I have couple Ruger Super RedHawks that I would like to attach a lanyard to.

Ok, here is how it's done, I just finished installing the Connection Stud in my Ruger Bisley SBH Hunter, Easy-Peasy...... :shades: TG

LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (2).jpg LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter Work-Over 2021 (3).jpg

iofthetaiga

Reaction score
Ok, here is how it's done, I just finished installing the Connection Stud in my Ruger Bisley SBH Hunter, Easy-Peasy...... :shades: TG

You can do the same into the bottom of the frame lug of the GP100/Super Redhawk frame, too. A simple drill and tap job.

Hkrjohn

Reaction score
Since there is a screw that holds the grip in place where you are suggesting I drill a hole, I wonder if there are aftermarket lanyard rings that I simply can screw in place?