Bear Hide Ideas

Hatfield

Reaction score
Bear season is upon us again and I can't wait to get out there, only thing is, do I really need another bear rug? What all kinds of treasures do you all make out of your hides that aren't made into rugs? Thanks...

M

Mark

Here were some suggestions given to me:

Insulate your house with them.

Donate them to the Salvation army for blankets.

Fill em with straw and practice shooting at them with your bow.

Replace your carpet with hides. Shaving to equal length might help.

Donate to your local bar to hang on thier wall.

Give it to the local boy scouts or 4-H clubs......

The best suggestions tend to be oriented toward donations, unless you've got lots of space in your garage to stack 'em up.

Catch It

Reaction score
You could always leave it hangin on a live bear if you don't know what to do with it......I'm sure he can think of a few;)

Last edited:

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
If we are talking black bear then you could leave it with the carcass and enjoy the meat, if we are talking grizzly I'd suggest leaving with the live bear.

Hatfield

Reaction score
I do eat the black bear meat and the griz meat can be canned to make it some what edible but I'd still like to do something with the hide besides just leave it to rot if possible.

Matt

Reaction score
Give it to family and friends. Don't stop hunting bears because you have too many hides already. We have a bear population that seriously needs toned down.

I'm shooting every legal bear I see this year.

Catch It

Reaction score
Relax guys, I'm going bear hunting myself in about two or three weeks but don't know how many times I'll bag one myself. I've gone the last two years just for fun and really enjoyed the trip, but don't know how many rugs I'd ever need. Hopin to tag one this year me and the boys are kind of in the round robin club as to who pulls the trigger and who helps so we can all go and have the fun and excitement but save on the taxidermy bills.

But, I'm not sure what the heck to do with a brownie outside of a mount or rug, But, a nice blackbear has some possibilities as a blanket...saw a few in Michigan.

Sure, you can hug me, but you better buy me dinner first, I'm not easy.:eek:

highcountry

Reaction score
Make a vest, and wear it out some time. I have a hair on elk vest and everyone asks where I got it. I live to tell them I stole it off a dead elk.

Akres

Reaction score
I have given them to the visitor center at Eagle River Trailhead. They let the tourists touch them, and it seems to give them a thrill.

brav01

Reaction score
Use it

Use it

Take a couple of green hides and make a boat. Just take the hair off first. You'ld look pretty silly paddling a hairy boat.

bullbuster

Reaction score
Hat..

Hat..

field.

Make a hat. You'd probably have to Google the process, but make one like the Queens guards wear at Buckingham Palace. And make a nice one.

The taller they are, the better the chicks dig 'em. Using it in the stand would be perfect camo. Dogs won't chase you. (maybe) You could keep stuff up there.
Sounds like a hit to me, post a picture!:)

Attachments

• bearskinhat.jpg
    bearskinhat.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
I do eat the black bear meat and the griz meat can be canned to make it some what edible but I'd still like to do something with the hide besides just leave it to rot if possible.

good for you! I'd tie flies with it, and donate patches of it to AFF I'm sure the members would all love some free hair!

schloss

Reaction score
when i was in college, i had a beat up mazda 323 (can painted bright blue, hood didn't latch, windshield cracked, stereo broken, muffler fell off, trunk didn't open, etc.), and it had a complete gorilla fur interior in the front - doors, dash, seats all covered in gorilla fur. could do the same with a bear hide or two. i really liked it, wish i had more pictures of that old beast.

Latest posts