Aug/Spetember Kodiak Hunt+ Sitka Cape

ryno_19

Reaction score
Hey all I posted awhile back for some meat storage recomendadations for my trip to Kodaik and wanted to follow up with how our hunt went. We had a great time and couldnt have planned a better honeymoon for my wife an I. We had some hellacious storms but overall it was spectacular. My wife ended up getting a stag that was a 9x4 and my buck was a 18" 3x3 with eye guards. We could have filled a few more tags but decided we were happy and wanted to make sure we could keep all the meat. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me. Also I am wanting to get my wifes mounted but was not able to keep the summer cape of her buck. If anyone has a good summer cape my taxidermist and I would be very interested. Thanks again to everyone in the forum who offered help!
Dan
[email protected]
Kodiak1.jpg
Kodiak2.jpg
My-Buck.jpg
Em-Buck.jpg
Kodiak3.jpg

Tearbear

Reaction score
That's quite the antler configuration on your wife's buck...congrats to you both.

Looks like you opted for a rifle hunt, instead of an archery hunt, eh?

stid2677

Reaction score
Dahlberg's Taxidermy should have a cape or two. (907) 315-4432, give Jesse a call.

Congrats on a great hunt and nice bucks.

Steve

Anythingalaska

Reaction score
Hey all I posted awhile back for some meat storage recomendadations for my trip to Kodaik and wanted to follow up with how our hunt went. We had a great time and couldnt have planned a better honeymoon for my wife an I. We had some hellacious storms but overall it was spectacular. My wife ended up getting a stag that was a 9x4 and my buck was a 18" 3x3 with eye guards. We could have filled a few more tags but decided we were happy and wanted to make sure we could keep all the meat. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me. Also I am wanting to get my wifes mounted but was not able to keep the summer cape of her buck. If anyone has a good summer cape my taxidermist and I would be very interested. Thanks again to everyone in the forum who offered help!
Dan
[email protected]
Kodiak1.jpg
Kodiak2.jpg
My-Buck.jpg
Em-Buck.jpg
Kodiak3.jpg

Pics don't work for me. When you say stag....are you meaning Blacktail? a 9x4 Blacktail sounds incredible and near unheard of....pics or it didn't happen!:lol:

stid2677

Reaction score
Pics don't work for me. When you say stag....are you meaning Blacktail? a 9x4 Blacktail sounds incredible and near unheard of....pics or it didn't happen!:lol:

The photos are gone now, but it is a Blacktail, one of the cactus bucks, buck-lites, stags, they have lots of names, but they are all buck and no balls.
They have hormonal issues that cause their antlers to stay in velvet and form in unusual ways.

Tearbear

Reaction score

The pics did work for a very short time, and it sure looked like it did indeed happen...he must have removed them for some reason. Nothing to see here folks...move along...

KodiakZach

Reaction score
The photos are gone now, but it is a Blacktail, one of the cactus bucks, buck-lites, stags, they have lots of names, but they are all buck and no balls.
They have hormonal issues that cause their antlers to stay in velvet and form in unusual ways.

My impression is that these guys don't shed their antlers in the winter like the rest of them, and that's what causes the strange configurations? I easily could have misinterpreted this. Seems like we see more and more of these guys in the Ayakulik/Alitak areas now.

Anythingalaska

Reaction score
The pics did work for a very short time, and it sure looked like it did indeed happen...he must have removed them for some reason. Nothing to see here folks...move along...

I was being more sarcastic than anything. But would have liked to see such a unique deer.

Abel

Reaction score

I heard it was from in-breeding, but I don't know, haven't researched it.

ryno_19

Reaction score
Hmmmm not sure why the pics are not showing up. Let's try again. Thanks for all your help. If I can't find a cape I'll just have to go back! !!!
d1166fa6260fcd41ef91070da04e0008.jpg
5a854223b06d6dc14605fdd9fc0717fe.jpg
0189bb4bf82444d5a420549e5299357d.jpg

bkmail

Reaction score
Since you don't accept PM's.....send me one if interested in a nice mature grey muzzled buck I am about to skin out this evening.
BK

Tearbear

Reaction score
Since you don't accept PM's.....send me one if interested in a nice mature grey muzzled buck I am about to skin out this evening.
BK

It doesn't look like he can send or receive PM's yet...maybe Brian M. will fix it for him?