Assisting a disabled boat

Arcticwildman

Reaction score
I swear that dipnetting brings out the worst in people. Watched 10-15 boats yesterday on the Kenai drive right past an obviously disabled boat with 3 old gents on it. They were paddling like mad to try and maintain some kind of direction towards the launch while they drifted downstream. They were waving at each boat that went by asking for help and nobody could be bothered to help. Anybody who was out there yesterday knows it would not be fun to lose an engine with the winds we had and the mess of waves from the big jet boats running up and down the river. I hooked up to them and towed them in to the launch. Hard to believe that people will just ignore folks that need help.

akgriz

Reaction score
Yep, and don't get me started on the big jet boats who could swamp the Kitty Hawk with their wake! Thanks for being thoughtful and doing the right thing!

papabear3

Reaction score
seriously thank you for helping

but tell me about it, a few weeks ago "we" were the broken down boat, ( on chitna) and no one would help ( well one finally did for big $$$$)
guess people don't want to give up their valuable time for dip netting.....oh well....Karma will get them
one day they will be drifting and asking them selves.....why wont any one help...duh

4merguide

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really sad. Just like out on the road people seem to be just out for #1 and nobody else matters....you see it everywhere you go. The way we treat our fellow man these days is so disheartening. THANK YOU for helping them!:topjob::topjob::topjob:

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Out on PWS i always assist others. Got towed back in myself yesterday. My friends won't take any money even though it was a 6 hour tow. They know that if they ever need anything I will always be there for them.

truesubsistence

Reaction score
guess people don't want to give up their valuable time for dip netting.....oh well....Karma will get them
one day they will be drifting and asking them selves.....why wont any one help...duh[/QUOTE

I would always stop to see if everyone is ok and assist when possible. But there is no way in hell I would risk lives or my own boat to tow someone through the canyon on the Copper. Haul people out, tools in, fuel, etc..but towing in those conditions leaves little room for error in the sketchy conditions you described in your other post. Pws is different when you have places of refuge and can wait for favorable weather. If the Sea Tow policy for Pws is still $150.00, that's cheap insurance and likely less $$$ than what your buddy is going to have invested in time and fuel to rescue you.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pws is different when you have places of refuge and can wait for favorable weather. If the Sea Tow policy for Pws is still $150.00, that's cheap insurance and likely less $$$ than what your buddy is going to have invested in time and fuel to rescue you.
There is no Sea Tow in Valdez. Closest is Whittier. You have no refuge if you have no motor to get there.

truesubsistence

Reaction score
There is no Sea Tow in Valdez. Closest is Whittier. You have no refuge if you have no motor to get there.[/QUOTE

Auxiliary power will get you to a place where you can wait out the weather until help arrives. Doesn't a six hour tow distance from Valdez put you in an area serviced by SeaTow? I don't know....just asking if you know the coverage details.

truesubsistence

Reaction score
SeaTow currently contracts with a well respected 3rd party water taxi for their services out of Valdez. $179.00/year seems like a pretty good deal for folks who spend more than a couple of week-ends a year in PWS.

BQuad

Reaction score
Help when you can and it's safe, sounds like an easy spot to help folks dipnetting the Kenai, everyone's going to the same place. I think SeaTow covers everywhere from the Sound to Homer now, they have expanded greatly and memberships are only $140 at Costco. Cheap and professionals that know all the safety procedures to minimize boat damage and personal injury. Just like anywhere else in Alaska, don't go anywhere without being prepared to get out on your own or wait out weather, help can be a long way out even when it's available.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no Sea Tow in Valdez. Closest is Whittier. You have no refuge if you have no motor to get there.[/QUOTE

Auxiliary power will get you to a place where you can wait out the weather until help arrives. Doesn't a six hour tow distance from Valdez put you in an area serviced by SeaTow? I don't know....just asking if you know the coverage details.

I pulled my fuel filter and found some brown crap in it. I then changed it out and still could not get the engine running. I have a kicker, but the "new-to-me" kicker is controlled by a GPS Autopilot system that I was unsure of. With brown crap in the filter I also did not want to try the kicker and possibly ruin two motors.

Last edited:

Akgramps

Reaction score
I swear that dipnetting brings out the worst in people. Watched 10-15 boats yesterday on the Kenai drive right past an obviously disabled boat with 3 old gents on it. They were paddling like mad to try and maintain some kind of direction towards the launch while they drifted downstream. They were waving at each boat that went by asking for help and nobody could be bothered to help. Anybody who was out there yesterday knows it would not be fun to lose an engine with the winds we had and the mess of waves from the big jet boats running up and down the river. I hooked up to them and towed them in to the launch. Hard to believe that people will just ignore folks that need help.

seriously thank you for helping

but tell me about it, a few weeks ago "we" were the broken down boat, ( on chitna) and no one would help ( well one finally did for big $$$$)
one day they will be drifting and asking them selves.....why wont any one help...duh

This is disturbing, this is not the Alaska I have come to love, people (ousiders) ask why I like it here and my response has been "because its the last civilized place on the planet".... maybe thats just Fairbanks anymore....

CapnMike

Reaction score
I pulled my fuel filter and found some brown crap in it. I then changed it out and still could not get the engine running. I have a kicker, but the "new-to-me" kicker is controlled by a GPS Autopilot system that I was unsure of. With brown crap in the filter I also did not want to try the kicker and possibly ruin two motors.

Even with good gas, what good is a kicker if you don't know how to run it?

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. What looked like a complicated GPS Autopilot system turned out to be: "push one button, wait for binking light, push another button and then use a controller FOB". I put too much thought into it.:shot:

ptarmigan

Reaction score
I can't ever imagine passing a boat that looks to be in distress. I always thought it was an unwritten rule to stop and check to see if they needed help. Luckily it's never been an issue for me, but I've stopped many times to check on other boaters.

BrownBear

Reaction score
Around here, your next stop better be the airport if you don't stop to help. Word spreads fast, and you won't want to stick around to hear what they are saying.

CapnMike

Reaction score
Good point. What looked like a complicated GPS Autopilot system turned out to be: "push one button, wait for binking light, push another button and then use a controller FOB". I put too much thought into it.:shot:

That sounds like me and these new fangled 4 stroke motors!

bmunsell

Reaction score
Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy
Glad to know that you're watching out for people. I always haul an extra 5 of gas on the bow for someone's emergency and have also towed others in over the years. Overall I'd say that most people are helpful but it can be easy to get caught up in the action and not be aware of others plight.

It is hard to understand why people would blame the bigger jet boats for the crazy wakes out there when there are 300 boats of all sizes on the river and even harder to understand why people put themselves at risk in such small boats for a few fish when there are other quieter areas to dip in. In my 22' Wooldridge I need to run at least 18 mph just to stay on step and it seems that a lot of people can't make 15 mph flat out. I actually make the least amount of wake running about 30. If you really want to see big wakes follow me when I have to slow way down.

You don't know how many times I've been in line trying to get up river without causing any trouble and someone in a 14' boat with 4 people and no life jackets is trying to pass me about 20' away. Bigger issue is the tunnel vision people seem to get, they are looking straight ahead or only to the side they want to turn too and not paying any attention to what is going on behind them or to the other side. Heads need to be on swivels constantly looking all around.

The only disabled boats I saw this year were stuck on the sandbar and there's not much a guy can do to help them.

kk alaska

Reaction score

I have a spare 6 gallon can with a fuel connector to have a separate fuel source for my twin outboards.

Daveinthebush

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a spare 6 gallon can with a fuel connector to have a separate fuel source for my twin outboards.
I am not a big fan of gas cans where I can not see them on an I/O. We still don't know if it was a dirty fuel issue. New carburetor on order, ouch.

I think the ideal situation would be a separate fuel filter on each tank and still have the factory one on the engine. I want a third tank too for longer trips. Again, put a separate filter on that and only fill that one from another fuel source.:topjob: