Are older ELT's still usable?

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Found an old ELT in my brother's stuff. More than 30 years old. Model EBC-102. It works on121.5 MHz and 243.0 MHz. Is it good for anything? Would help come if it was activated?

Reaction score
From AOPA:
While there's no requirement in the United States to replace the first- and second-generation 121.5 MHz ELTs, since 2009, 121.5 and 243 MHz distress signals transmitted from ELTs operating on the lower frequency have only been able to be detected by ground-based receivers, such as local airport facilities and air traffic control facilities, or by overflying aircraft. Pilots should be aware that existing 121.5 MHz ELTs, although still legal from the FAA's perspective, will provide extremely limited assistance if an aircraft crashes, especially in a remote location. In 2019, the manufacture, importation, or sale of 121.5 MHz ELTs became prohibited in the United States per an FCC final rule, but the new rule does not prohibit aircraft operators from continuing to use 121.5-MHz ELTs now installed in aircraft, nor does it cut off the availability of batteries or other replacement parts.

Remember to monitor 121.5 MHz's when flying.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Thank you. Now to decide what to do with it. My brother used to carry it on our remote hunts many years ago before personal PLB's were available. He said he had no problem dealing with the FAA afterwards if we had to use it to be rescued

MacGyver

Reaction score
Several years ago, I carried an aircraft radio in order to call for help when out hunting. When I had a problem with the engine, I called every airplane I saw. Not one of them heard me. After I got back to Anchorage, I found they were all on the local flight service frequency not 121.5.

I decided to go to the Emergency Control Center. They were talking about a 121.5 ELT that had been transmitting for two days. Sense there was no overdue airplane there was no reason to check it out because of all the false alarms.

I see no reason not to carry a 121.5 ELT unless you're in a hurry to be rescue.

Last edited:

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Several years ago, I carried an aircraft radio in order to call for help when out hunting. When I had a problem with the engine, I called every airplane I saw. Not one of them heard me. After I got back to Anchorage, I found they were all on the local flight service frequency not 121.5.

I decided to go to the Emergency Control Center. They were talking about a 121.5 ELT that had been transmitting for two days. Sense there was no overdue airplane there was no reason to check it out because of all the false alarms.

I see no reason not to carry a 121.5 ELT unless you're in a hurry to be rescue.
I don't plan on carrying it. I have a PLB.