Anyone notice the sportfishing changes for Southcentral Alaska?

ak_logan

Reaction score
should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?

Brian M

***** Admin
Reaction score
should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?

That's only for cohos (silvers) and only applicable to a pretty short stretch of river. By time silvers start rolling up the river, the combat crowds are long gone.

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
you can't release pike in the susitna river drainage now? What the hell?

Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.

Wyo2AK

Reaction score
Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.

:ditto: ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.

ak_powder_monkey

Reaction score
:ditto: ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.

ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population

tcman

Reaction score
Does anyone know why bait is allowed on the Kasilof from Sept 1st-15th?

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population

Ok explain this one to me about the pike. Why is the new reg bad?

germe1967

Reaction score
I like the part about not fishing from a boat right in front of the mouth of Willow Creek. Last season several boats I can only assume were guided fishing trips would come right in front of us, cast toward us, and tangle up lines with those fishing from the bank. When they weren't doing that, they were going by at warp 10 and sending tsunami style waves ashore to interupt everyone's fishing rythum.
I have nothing against fishing guides. But I do have a problem with them using their equipment to impede other fishermen and women from catching fish to give thier clients more to fish for. That, folks, is unethical.

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
Good question. A dead pike can't eat salmon fry, so what's the problem? When a mosquito lands on me, I don't evaluate wheter it's male or female, I indiscriminately kill it (only female mosquitos can bite).

Some people I have said it wasn't a good idea, I don't understand why it isn't. If some one can explain, it would be nice. Because to me small, medium,or large they cause problems for salmon. just look what happened to Alexander Creek.

Bushwhack Jack

Reaction score
I don't think it is a bad idea either. But, I think what people are referring to is the fact that large pike tend to eat smaller pike. So, if you remove a large pike, you are just going to help the population of hammer handles (small pike). If you let a big pike go, he can get bigger and eat more pike. I think this is the general idea what people are referring to. It might have been a good idea to change the restriction to allow pike over 30" to be released.

Frostbitten

Reaction score
Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soo
I don't think it is a bad idea either. But, I think what people are referring to is the fact that large pike tend to eat smaller pike. So, if you remove a large pike, you are just going to help the population of hammer handles (small pike). If you let a big pike go, he can get bigger and eat more pike. I think this is the general idea what people are referring to. It might have been a good idea to change the restriction to allow pike over 30" to be released.

Fair enough, but the larger pike should only be released if he promises to eat smaller pike only, and vows to never again eat a salmon...and he should put that in writing, otherwise, onto the fillet table he goes!!

tcman

Reaction score
so people can use it to fish for silvers.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. Yeah, I know bait makes it easier for silvers but why just the 15 day period? Does it have to do with incidental steelhead? Still.....15 days?

kimjn

Reaction score
I'm with tcman on this one. Saw reg proposals for the Anchor to shorten the bait period because of steelhead. Are there less steelhead in the Kasilof in September compared to the lower peninsula streams? Is it a later run?

kenaibow fan

Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head on this one. Yeah, I know bait makes it easier for silvers but why just the 15 day period? Does it have to do with incidental steelhead? Still.....15 days?

Well it might be, can't say for sure, hard to guess what goes threw their minds when they make these regs. I honeslty don't see what it matters they closed the hatchery down, yet make it so you can't take them out of the water?????? If they wanted them out of there so bad they should just make it catch and kill, then they wouldn't have to worry about them going up the Kenai. It might also have to do with resident trout as well.

FishGod

Reaction score
Well it might be, can't say for sure, hard to guess what goes threw their minds when they make these regs. I honeslty don't see what it matters they closed the hatchery down, yet make it so you can't take them out of the water?????? If they wanted them out of there so bad they should just make it catch and kill, then they wouldn't have to worry about them going up the Kenai. It might also have to do with resident trout as well.

In the past, bait was not allowed during that time period due to spawning kings.

Latest posts