Anyone know this guy?

AKmud

Reaction score
Happening in Meadow Lakes right now. At least he "stuck"the landing.... :topjob: Pilot is out uninjured and AST said the cub fared pretty well too. It will be an interesting retrieval....

imagejpg1_zpsdcf40b5f.jpg

imagejpg2_zps5ad982d0.jpg

AGL4now

Unavailable
Reaction score
There was a time.....back when Stupid Cubs were cheap, and if the client paid for the plane. And there was a world class trophy near......that was actually a method of landing a Stupid Cub into the Alders and Black Spruce.

Troy Hamon

Reaction score
Hope he has lifting eyes installed...but not sure it will help. Hard to retrieve an airplane off of ground without damage. Seems a lot harder to do so from a situation like that. Hope it comes out okay, glad the pilot is alright.

Louis

Reaction score
There was a time.....back when Stupid Cubs were cheap, and if the client paid for the plane. And there was a world class trophy near......that was actually a method of landing a Stupid Cub into the Alders and Black Spruce.
I've wondered in the past if the rules about helicopters and hunting might be applied if a guy has to get his Cub sling-loaded back to town every season!

Tcraft

Reaction score
Was not me... Good write up with pictures on The Frontiersman website.

IndyCzar

Reaction score
Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
Nothing to add to the Frontiersman story other than glad he is ok...The plane made it thru the night and is still in the trees...The trees are budding out fast and it may be hard to see in a week...It will be interesting to see exactly how that plane gets extracted...

Tcraft

Reaction score
This strip is narrow with tall trees, a swath in the trees if you will. Yesterday when this accident occurred we had the typical signs of a weather change and wind shear is a factor. This is the type of strip where my technique is to gain speed in ground effect and then zoom out with stored energy. I flew yesterday and employed this technique. My strip is much wider than this fellows strip and not so protected from the wind by the tall trees.

This accident could have ended with a loss of life. I recall one not that many years ago that tragically ended the pilots life. Had the trees been elastic like the ones in this situation he would have survived. Rigid large limbs on cottonwood trees don't give... they impale.

IndyCzar

Reaction score
Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake
I am pretty sure the plane was taken down by Helicopter this morning...Did not see the entire event but watched helo fly in and fly out 40 minutes later...Plane was in the trees this morning and by lunchtime after the help left (without a sling load) airplane was no longer in the trees...

Louis

Reaction score
Pretty amazing. I think that story got national attention. It looked just like my foam RC Champ did a few days ago when I got it stuck up in a tree. Apparently rescuing a full scale plane from the branches involves a little more than just shaking the tree real good.

Does anyone here know Jimmy Hunt? The last time I talked to him he was working on building a strip in that area. I was wondering if he was still around.....Louis