Any productive use for arrowtooth flounder?

Uncle Zeek

Reaction score
Was up in Ketchikan this summer, and while we caught some nice halibut, we were often swarmed with arrowtooth flounder. Had some surprisingly large ones at that. Family & friends on this trip kept asking me why were weren't keeping them, and my answer to such has always been "because they ain't worth cooking". Yes, I understand the science of it - some enzyme in the fish breaks the meat down when cooked, giving it the consistency of oatmeal. They still want to keep them on the next trip, soooooo ...

Have done a bit of google-fu, and found some uses for this fish: surimi (the base of artificial crabmeat), and . . . *ahem* . . . "fish powder" that is used as a protein supplement. Otherwise, the only recipes seem to involve marinading it in something acidic, like vinegar or citrus (lemon juice, lime juice, etc). The end result doesn't seem to be worth the effort. I'd like to come up with SOME edible use for this fish, if for no other reason than to prepare it for my travel companions and let them decide if they like it. Only thing that I can think of might be chopping fillets up for fish burgers, fish sticks or the like.

If anyone on here has any practical ideas, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I may just broil a few fillets next trip, serve them up, and see how everyone likes eating fish mush lol

vaaler

Reaction score
I haven't caught one in years, but when I do, I plan to try using it as "extender" for crab cakes. I'll swap out half the bread for arrowtooth mush. Will also try using it by itself in fishcakes. There have been times I have had it work well for halibut bait - a strip of arrowtooth for toughness and bulk, plus a herring for smell.

Big_E

Uncle Zeek

Reaction score
I haven't caught one in years, but when I do, I plan to try using it as "extender" for crab cakes. I'll swap out half the bread for arrowtooth mush. Will also try using it by itself in fishcakes. There have been times I have had it work well for halibut bait - a strip of arrowtooth for toughness and bulk, plus a herring for smell.

Big_E

How about using it in shrimp pots or crab pots? Just remembered that we didn't try using any pots this past trip, but plan to do so next year.

vaaler

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that.. It worked well for us in crab pots. I fish mostly out of Juneau and west out to open water. So far there has been only one place (knock on wood) that seems to hold arrowtooth flounder, and we usually avoid it.

Big_E

mark knapp

Reaction score
I have eaten them and they are very good to eat. It's hard to keep them when there are so many other species to keep but there's really nothing wrong with them. PS, we filleted and fried them.