Any one seeing pink?

Daveintheburbs

Active member
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
845
Reaction score
33
Location
Eagle River, AK
I have a couple of kids visiting this week end. With the second red run coming on very slowly, I was hoping to get them into some pinks. Anyone seen them in any of the usual spots south of Los Anchorage?
Thanks,
Dave
 

Pupchow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
122
Reaction score
6
Location
Eagle River
Caught a few last night

Caught a few last night

Went down to Hope last night, they are starting. Coming through in 1's and 2's. Personally i was trying to get my wife excited about catching some but i was the only one who caught any. Very few and far between, imho not worth taking anyone down there yet.
 

fishermann222

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Bethel
hope

hope

I also fished hope last night but I caught 20 or so, and had at least another 20 on. I also wanted the wife to catch some of them but she was not feeling well. I had a blast catching and releasing them though. They were coming in STRONG with the evening tide.
 

NORTH2AK

New member
Joined
May 6, 2006
Messages
490
Reaction score
11
Location
ANCHORAGE
Gear For Pinks

Gear For Pinks

Whats the best lure/tackle to use for pinks? I want to take a couple boys down and let them have some fun/success!
 

Bill S.

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
100
Location
Anchorage
I just got back from Hope Sunday night. As fisherman222 states, the pinks are coming in with the high tides in bigger numbers every tide. Anything shiny works and a bright pink or red fly about 18 inches in front of some weight works really well. By the end of the week you'll be able to walk across on them.
 

fishNphysician

New member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
4,856
Reaction score
262
Location
Aberdeen WA
With all that C&R going on, this post from another thread might bear repeating:

Get rid of the trebles and put on the siwash.

Break the barb off the siwash, then take a pair of pliers and curve the point toward the shank about 5 degrees from parallel, then offset the point 5-10 degrees from the plane of the hook. The offset helps you to hook more fish, the curved-in point will help you to retain them better during the fight, and the absence of the barb will facilitate their release. Especially since this is a pink year... you may find yourself sorting thru a dozen or two pinks for every silver.

Carry a de-hooker stick and you can instantly release those fish using an elegant no-touch technique that can't be beat. It will make your life a LOT easier... and the fish's too!



Click below for a pic demo of how easily it works:
http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat....1035987&page=1
 

Cheeky_Halibut

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
treble hook removal

treble hook removal

fishNphysician said:
With all that C&R going on, this post from another thread might bear repeating:
Get rid of the trebles and put on the siwash.
Break the barb off the siwash, then take a pair of pliers and curve the point toward the shank about 5 degrees from parallel, then offset the point 5-10 degrees from the plane of the hook. The offset helps you to hook more fish, the curved-in point will help you to retain them better during the fight, and the absence of the barb will facilitate their release. Especially since this is a pink year... you may find yourself sorting thru a dozen or two pinks for every silver.
how can you take the treble hook off of a vibrax?
 

Brian M

***** Admin
Staff member
Joined
Sep 17, 2005
Messages
14,377
Reaction score
1,057
Location
Eagle River, AK
Cheeky - They come with a single-hook when you buy them. Just slide the treble off and replace it with the single.

-Brian
 

Akres

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
8,276
Reaction score
465
???

???

B_M said:
Cheeky - They come with a single-hook when you buy them. Just slide the treble off and replace it with the single.

-Brian
What? Don't understand this response at all.
 

nickster

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
555
Reaction score
15
changing hooks on vibrax

changing hooks on vibrax

The packaging of the vibrax lures contain a single hook, while the lure itself is equipped with the standard treble hook. You can just slide off the treble from the split ring like taking a key of its key ring, then replace it with the provided single hook.
 

fishNphysician

New member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
4,856
Reaction score
262
Location
Aberdeen WA
Don't know how they package the ones in AK, but all the ones here in the PNW come with the treble permanently looped into the spinner wire... no split ring for easy hook removal and exchange.

No big deal, the trebles are worthless anyway and can be sacrificed. Just take a pair of pliers and bend the hook eye back and forth several times until it snaps. Or just smush the round eye into an exaggerated oval... keep smushing until about the time the eye has been deformed to look like two parallel wires, and it will snap right at the apex.

This beats trying to cut them and dulling your wire cutters or accidentally damaging the spinner wire.

I prefer adding a split ring to extend the siwash back just a bit further... the extra hangback exposes the hook point a litle better, especially for those non-committal strikers.
 

Cheeky_Halibut

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
thanks

thanks

fishNphysician said:
Don't know how they package the ones in AK, but all the ones here in the PNW come with the treble permanently looped into the spinner wire... no split ring for easy hook removal and exchange.

No big deal, the trebles are worthless anyway and can be sacrificed. Just take a pair of pliers and bend the hook eye back and forth several times until it snaps. Or just smush the round eye into an exaggerated oval... keep smushing until about the time the eye has been deformed to look like two parallel wires, and it will snap right at the apex.

This beats trying to cut them and dulling your wire cutters or accidentally damaging the spinner wire.

I prefer adding a split ring to extend the siwash back just a bit further... the extra hangback exposes the hook point a litle better, especially for those non-committal strikers.
ok, thanks. i did that and it worked because the vibrax i have, have a wire loop no split ring.
 

jmg

New member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
993
Reaction score
276
Location
At the end of the cul-de-sac
What about off tide?

What about off tide?

Question about low/off tide on the pinks at hope. Tomorrow I am headed down there with some out of town company. The high tide is early, like 2 or 3 am, then again at around 5 pm. We will be fishing there much of the day, so I am wondering if the pinks will be in there any time during the middle of the day, and even at low tide. Also, have never been to hope, so any advice on where to go would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
 

Bill S.

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
100
Location
Anchorage
If the pinks are in, as they should be by now, then there are good numbers resting in places, like under the bridge and fishing will be good even at off tide. Not as good as right at of right after high tide but the fish will still be there. I've fished it every year since 98 and caught them during off tide during the height of the run, Good Luck! BTW, despite what people were telling me last week end, you can't keep pinks hooked other than in the mouth.
 

Cheeky_Halibut

New member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
what are the regulations for hope?
is the river/creek named hope or is it something else?
 

Latest posts

Top