Any body like knives

mark knapp

Reaction score
I like knives, anybody else? I'd like to see a new sub-forum on here about knives. Your favorite knives, what's the best knives for a particular purpose? Where to get them, etc.

Here are some that I'm just now finishing up for a customer, built from scratch.

kelly 3.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	kelly 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	2781075
DSCF0503.JPG - Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0503.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	2781076

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I have lots of Buck, Western, Schrade, Case, etc. Even an old Randall.

mark knapp

Reaction score
I have lots of Buck, Western, Schrade, Case, etc. Even an old Randall.

Back in the day, those were all fine makers. All of them except Case and Randall went overseas for manufacturing. Randall is the most collected knife in the US today, have been for quite some time and a fine working knife. To get a Randall today is a five year wait unless you get it from a dealer.

Buck went to China for some of their stuff but I understand they are mostly coming back.

Cheeser

Reaction score
The Forged in Fire TV show got me hooked on knife making. Your Damascus blades look very nice!! While I won't ever try it, I enjoy hearing stories from those who do. So I'd be a reader of the sub-forum if it's created.

Personally, despite having a box full of quality brand knives I've accumulated over the decades (new to very old), my go-to knife for the last 30 years has been a no-name knife that was hanging at the Farm & Fleet checkout line when I was on my way to deer camp and realized I had left my Schrade at home. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

mark knapp

Reaction score
The Forged in Fire TV show got me hooked on knife making. Your Damascus blades look very nice!! While I won't ever try it, I enjoy hearing stories from those who do. So I'd be a reader of the sub-forum if it's created.

Personally, despite having a box full of quality brand knives I've accumulated over the decades (new to very old), my go-to knife for the last 30 years has been a no-name knife that was hanging at the Farm & Fleet checkout line when I was on my way to deer camp and realized I had left my Schrade at home. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

Yep, I was on that show, season 4 episode 20, and again season 7 episode 4 I think. I won one and I lost one. It's a lot more fun to win.

My hunting knives are Forschner Victorinox openers and skinners, and my go to fillet knife is one that I made. It works perfect for the fish I fish and the way I use it.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Years ago I picked up a very collectable sheath knife from a pawn shop in Anchorage. It had a 49 dollar price on it. I got it for 45 with the sheath and sharpening stone. I put it on my belt and continued shopping. Later in the day I spotted the same knife in another shop. No sheath and half the blade sharpened away. They had a 185 dollar price on it because it was 'very collectable' and a hard one to find. Made mine seem like a good deal. Still have it.

mark knapp

Reaction score
Years ago I picked up a very collectable sheath knife from a pawn shop in Anchorage. It had a 49 dollar price on it. I got it for 45 with the sheath and sharpening stone. I put it on my belt and continued shopping. Later in the day I spotted the same knife in another shop. No sheath and half the blade sharpened away. They had a 185 dollar price on it because it was 'very collectable' and a hard one to find. Made mine seem like a good deal. Still have it.

That's pretty cool, do you know who made it?

I found one at a garage sale one day that was missing a pin. They wanted a buck for it. It turned out to be an early sunfish pattern made by the company that would become Case. I put a new pin in and cleaned it up some. Worth $1,200.00. I still have it.

Last edited:

AKBEE

Reaction score
I love blades and usually have 3 on me. Favorite do-everything knife is a Dozier Prof Guides knife. Favorite out of town blade is a Diebert Chopper. Used to stick hogs with a Chris Reeve Project One. Just gave a Steingass Black Thunder to a guy moving to HI who plans to stick some pigs. I like Fallkniven handles in winter. I love my 2Hawks warbeast tomahawk. Many others of varying makes and sizes. Waiting to get my pre-order Survive! 5.1 in magnacut soon and really looking forward to trying that steel out. Also waiting to receive a Bark River Crusader in 3v. Wish I had not gotten rid of a Jason Knight Bowie- it was just too nice to use! Can never have too many blades and I still have some from my childhood.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
Another pawn shop win. I saw 2 Buck 119's in the display case. One with the black handle, the other was stag. I bought the black one for 19 dollars and the stag for 24. Both were like new. The stag was worth a couple hundred back then.

mark knapp

Reaction score

mark knapp

Reaction score
I love blades and usually have 3 on me. Favorite do-everything knife is a Dozier Prof Guides knife. Favorite out of town blade is a Diebert Chopper. Used to stick hogs with a Chris Reeve Project One. Just gave a Steingass Black Thunder to a guy moving to HI who plans to stick some pigs. I like Fallkniven handles in winter. I love my 2Hawks warbeast tomahawk. Many others of varying makes and sizes. Waiting to get my pre-order Survive! 5.1 in magnacut soon and really looking forward to trying that steel out. Also waiting to receive a Bark River Crusader in 3v. Wish I had not gotten rid of a Jason Knight Bowie- it was just too nice to use! Can never have too many blades and I still have some from my childhood.

All the good names. Jason Knight and I are buds, only get to see him at knife shows though, sometimes at Hammer-ins. Tim Steingass and I have done business, mostly I sell him ivory. He makes a real nice knife. Bob Dozier and I have done some business too. He getting a little older now.

I've never regretted keeping a knife, (or a gun), it's the ones you get rid of that hurt.

mark knapp

Reaction score
My go to is a old Buffalo Skinner, solingen. Forget the name at the moment. Stout, not to big but big enough to pop moose joints and good skinning knife.

Schlieper and Wingen are probably the most notable of the Buffalo Skinners from Solingen, but it became so popular that everybody started making them. We have two in the shop right now that we are refurbishing.

mark knapp

Reaction score
Another pawn shop win. I saw 2 Buck 119's in the display case. One with the black handle, the other was stag. I bought the black one for 19 dollars and the stag for 24. Both were like new. The stag was worth a couple hundred back then.

I love it when that happens, pawn shop gems.

Akgramps

Reaction score
Schlieper and Wingen are probably the most notable of the Buffalo Skinners from Solingen, but it became so popular that everybody started making them. We have two in the shop right now that we are refurbishing.

There were a number of companies that made that style using Solingen steel, I think mine is a SECO, Edge mark comes to mind as well, I think they were a little thinner and not as good as the SECO and more common. I like this knife largely due to the style of the guard, as it is not a full tang handle and the guard does not extend above the blade/handle on top. This way the top of the blade is serrated and the allows you to put some pressure on the blade with your thumb. Personal preference I am sure. I bought a Puma as a backup and the guard on that is in the way, good blade but poor design... IMO

Will have to look at the name again, maybe Speco...

Last edited:

mark knapp

Reaction score
There were a number of companies that made that style using Solingen steel, I think mine is a SECO, Edge mark comes to mind as well, I think they were a little thinner and not as good as the SECO and more common. I like this knife largely due to the style of the guard, as it is not a full tang handle and the guard does not extend above the blade/handle on top. This way the top of the blade is serrated and the allows you to put some pressure on the blade with your thumb. Personal preference I am sure. I bought a Puma as a backup and the guard on that is in the way, good blade but poor design... IMO

Yep, I hear you.

SmokeRoss

Reaction score
I love it when that happens, pawn shop gems.

I have a good story about a very special Marlin lever gun in .22 lr that I picked up at an Anchorage pawn shop and then showed to Gov. Hammond in the Sheraton.
It was a model 92 deluxe, pistol grip, checkered wood, oct barrel, Globe sites. Most of the 92's were in .32 rimfire.

Chez

Reaction score
I have a few knives and would like to see a subforum.

mark knapp Do you ever make it down to the peninsula?

kobuk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ron and I'm a knife-a-holic. haha My favorite hunting knives are from a couple local makers. I have one from the late Jim Whitman and the current one I use is the MAK made by Three Dog Knives in Anchorage. Nothing like using a quality knife and I really like it when I know the person who makes it. Kind of makes it special. I just watched the episode of Mark Knapp winning the Forged and Fire Championship. Great job! I also watched one where that guy down by Seward made it to the final round but I think he lost. I got to check out his shop one day, nice guy. I would love to learn the art but will have to start out small. I wish I was up by you Mark amd could be a fly on the wall to learn a few things!

Latest posts