Alaska Cabelas

Adventures

Reaction score
just heard from a friend that cabelas is getting bids for supplies for a new store in Wasilla. My friends dad is a window guy and apparnetly they asked or a price for windows from him. He said they are certainly coming. Anyone else heard about this or have any inside info. :)
also i guess Target and Ihop are coming to Wasilla as well.
Thanks,
Justin

love2hunt

Reaction score
Why Wasilla instead of ANC? ANC is the "hub" of lots of hunters and fishermen, no sales tax, and a larger market. Just curious.

Stogey

Reaction score
I have heard the rumor, however, Cabelas is denying any truth - they will simply refer you to their web page listing the retail stores and future stores. It would be nice to see it happen / cross your fingers.

Adventures

Reaction score
cabelas

cabelas

love2hunt.... I was actually thinking that Wasilla was a little too populated for a Cabelas. All of the ones i've been to have been out in the middle of nowhere. I guess they go by the theory build it and they will come. I used to drive 3 hours from my place just to go to Cabelas and that was 2 hours or so south of the Twin Cities in MN. They built it in the middle of a corn field with the nearest town being a ways away and very very small. I think it may be where ever the land is cheap. Also probably does a good number for tourism as people will drive out of thier way to get to the place and have to pass other attractions on the way. HEhehe maybee they should put it in Denali. LOL

pcwilliams

Reaction score
Why Wasilla, not Anchorage

Why Wasilla, not Anchorage

love2hunt said:
Why Wasilla instead of ANC? ANC is the "hub" of lots of hunters and fishermen, no sales tax, and a larger market. Just curious.

My guesses are;

1) Land is cheaper
2) Less competition (Sportsman's Warehouse and others)
3) If a customer really wants to shop at a Cabela's, he'll make the trip. (If you build it, they will come.)

My 2 cents.

Carnivore

Reaction score
Wasilla would be great choice. If I didn't have to make trips to Costco and Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd never go to Anchorage.

-Carnivore

Sheepshooter

Reaction score
Cabelas

Cabelas

I have also heard from an inside source here ins the valley that Cabelas is definitely planning on opening a store in Wasilla next year.

Michael Strahan

webmaster
Reaction score
Rumors Abound

Rumors Abound

This rumor has been bouncing around for at least the last five years; I've heard it from the folks at Barney's, Mountain View Sports, Sportsman's, etc. Wouldn't surprise me to see them here, but... when?

-Mike

Maineguide

Reaction score
Would be nice

Would be nice

Hope you guys are right about Cabelas. Here in Maine we have been hearing those rumors for over a year now. Everything from where the land was bought to the opening date but so far they are a no show. It has even been in the local papers. Still nothing.

I am originally from PA and I visit my family there in the winter so I make a trip to Hamburg, PA (in the middle of nowhere), to Cabelas twice a year(to get my twice yearly fix). You can spend some money really fast there. We are planning on moving up there (Alaska)next February so I hope you are right about the Cabelas but don't hold your breath because those rumors seem to pop up anywhere and everywhere people would like a store. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, you will love it.

Stogey

Reaction score
Here is the reply to my e-mail from Cabelas...

I have heard a rumor that you are planning to open a store in Alaska. Can you confirm or deny?

Dear Robert,

Thank you for visiting Cabela’s website and for your interest in a Cabela’s retail store located in Alaska.

Currently Cabela’s has fourteen retail locations through its’ subsidiary, Cabela’s Retail, Inc., We are flattered by your request; however, we are not aware of plans to build a store in Alaska at this time.

Your information has been forwarded to our Research and Development Department for review. Expansion announcements and information are posted on our website.

Have a nice day!

Connie

fisherman19

Reaction score
The last place I lived was Papillion Nebraska. For the 3 years I lived there everyone talked about Cabela's starting a store somewhere in the Omaha Metro. It seemed like it was just talk then BASS PRO SHOP opened up Just a crossed the river in Iowa. I my way up here to Alaska I was looking at a Cabela's magazine and saw that they are opening a store about 3 blocks from my old house. So I hope the one in Wasilla opens before I leave here.

RANGER RICK

Reaction score
Any rumors for Homer ???
It sure would be nice to be able to go buy socks here rather than driving to Soldatna to do so !!!!!!.

RR

EricL

Reaction score
Cabela's

Cabela's

I'd be happy for a Cabela's anywhere withing 100 miles of Anchorage. As far as reasons, land being cheaper could be a reason but these stores most generally pay off all their opening expenses in the first year or two and competition is always better for business. I'll believe it when i see the "Future Home of" sign!! Eric

Matt

Reaction score
Man, I'd love to have a Cabela's store in Wasilla. I'll believe it when I see it though. The Sportsman Warehouse is suppose to be coming out here as well. All talk so far.

Adventures

Reaction score
sportsmans warehouse

sportsmans warehouse

I heard that one fell through, was supposed to be up by Home Depot.
I was in a Cabelas in MN 2 years ago and asked why everything in thier Cabelas line is Alaska series this or Alaska Grade that but there is no store in Ak. He told me there never will be due to shipping complications. LOL Victoria Secret told my old lady the same thing. I wonder who will be first if any.

RayfromAK

Reaction score
I believe that Cabela's lost their chance to build some of their stores in Alaska a few years ago, before Sportsman's Warehouse made it up here. For Cabela's to do the same now would be like Home Depot and Lowe's competing against each other. Good for us, but bad for the shareholders.

However, if more people move to Alaska, then it may work to a greater benefit of both Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. That said, I do like Cabela's and have ordered stuff from them for years. But right now I can go to Sportsman's and buy a box of Barnes 3-Shock for the same price I would pay at Cabela's, and without having to pay for S&H. Even so, I have noticed that some items are more expensive at the Sportsman Warehouse than Cabela's. For example, I saw a Peltz LED headlamp that costs a little over $25.00 at Cabela's, and at least $5.00 more at Sportsman's, while some backpack stoves are much cheaper here than Cabela's. A relative of mine gave me a $25.00 Cabela's certificate, so I bought the light from Cabela's and ordered a couple of other items on the same shipment.

One thing I always order from Cabela's are their Mountain Hiker leather boots. They have good tents and boots, as well as excellent fishing rods. Best of all, they always mail the rods in a hardened storage container one does not have to pay for.

Adventures

Reaction score
cabelas tent

cabelas tent

I have one o thier guide model 4 man tents. I used one on a caribou trip in Aniak last year and just had to have one. I got a new one this spring and tried it out and it even has fold down cup holders inside. LOL now that camping. :)