Airboat/Small Boat Dropoff Wanted

tlyonker

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm looking for an air boat drop off, or a small boat that can navigate the river, and maybe pick up (or we can float out via raft) in the 20 Mile River/Placer River area around August 25 or Labor Day weekend or whenever you have a day available during the season. We an any bull permit for that area. If there someone, private or commercial, that you know or can recommend I would appreciate it.

akmike30

Reaction score
Don't need and airboat to get to were the moose are.... In either drainage.... Hike up the mountain till you can see the hole drainage.... Spot and go get your moose.... I get a small inflatable and go up 20 mile 4 or 5 miles and you find them in the middle of the flats.

bkmail

Reaction score
I've run both rivers successfully and harvested a moose in a jet boat on the Placer.
Neither are difficult to run if you have some experience.
BK

tlyonker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

I have a flat bottom river boat... 22 feet with a jet unit. So you think that would make it up the river?

bkmail

Reaction score
Easy as pie!

Easy as pie!

Yes, no problem at all. I was running an 18' Alumaweld stryker w/a jet.
You'll do fine. Why not make a couple runs before season to do a little scouting and test your skills?
BK

Sobie2

Reaction score
Skip the idea of going up the 20 Mile for Moose, turn around and look to the left at the Portage River and bag a Bison at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center 5 minutes away.

Sobie2

MacGyver

Reaction score
Yes, no problem at all. I was running an 18' Alumaweld stryker w/a jet.
You'll do fine. Why not make a couple runs before season to do a little scouting and test your skills?
BK

Just be careful going over the falls on the Placer Rv. (60 48 23/148 59 43)

bkmail

Reaction score
Roger that, it's only there at low tide though......jumped it with a moose in the boat coming out.
Its do-able.....:)

TLY, there is a 2' tall "waterfall" on the Placer overflow side just a short ways up from the bridge. The guys with Extreme shallows can jump it going up river (wouldn't recommend it hough if your going hunting). Just run in/out on the high tide and you'll be fine.

BK

tlyonker

Reaction score
Thanks BK for all your information. It is very helpful. And yes I will make a run up the river before season.

bkmail

Reaction score
I wouldn't run an Alexis up there. It's a tight river, braided, and would be a real bummer to get unstuck.

I'd run something smaller a guy could manhandle around and runs slower on step.

BK

Latest posts