A medium bore for Christmas

mosinwolf762

Reaction score
That's kind of the direction I was going. At 2.5 power I believe I should be good up pretty close . The illuminated reticle I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $200+ is it?
I went with the Leupold 1.5-4 Freedom. I was thinking up close shooting ability was the most important item on my list. The scope has worked out fine. There are hash marks (I was calling them aiming points, but I was corrrected) for shooting longer distances. I've shot several times to 300 yards and a few times to 400. Enough to know I could hit that far out. I will spend more time and $$$ this next season getting out to 500 as I get the loads worked out and getting use to the hash marks.

My up close and general hunting load will be the Hornady CX 250. It needs a min. impact speed of 2000fps. That limits its use to about 275 or 300 yards depending on what I run for speed at the muzzle. IF I can get the point of impacts to work out I will carry another "softer" 270 grain for longer distances. Just me, but I don't think I'd take a field first shot beyond 300 yards; too many things going on the longer the range. I want the longer range ability in case I need to do a follow up shot and the target has moved beyond the 300 yard mark.

Lots of play time at the range over the speed meter and getting the hash marks figured out.

I have the 2.5-8 on my .338. It is a great scope. I like the 1.5-4 better for this use; standing "rapid fire" from 100 to 25 yards the 1.5 seems to work better for me.
I have that same 1.5-4 VX freedom on my .45-70, it is a good scope. I was thinking of a little more power for the .375, but hearing that and doing some other research it is sounding like the 1.5-5 vx3hd is probably the way to go.

LeonardC

Reaction score
OPPS! The .338 scope didn't look right after I typed it. I checked this morning.

The 2.5-8 is on a .270

The .338 has a 1.75-6

Both nice scopes and have served me well on those rifles.

I don't have any illuminated (battery powered) scopes. I put a red dot on the Wife's AR and she loves it. I can see where it might be nice to put the dot on the target, but I have had so many batteries go bad and not only fail to function but ruin the device. That reminds me; now that our shooting season is over I need to go through stuff and remove the batteries. Any winter shooting I do will not involve the speed meter, timer, etc. Thank you!

mosinwolf762

Reaction score
I am still learning towards the Ruger, but I just came across the opportunity to step it up a bit. I came across a very nice cz550 safari chambered in .458 Lott for about the same money. Would that be a better investment, or since I have no plans of chasing elephant across the Serengeti is it just overkill and just stick with the Ruger?

moose338

Reaction score
I would agree the CZ is a nicer gun than the Ruger overall. The Lott is way more gun than you need for anything in the lower 48 and even arguably a bit much for Alaskan game. But if you aren't worried about that or the somewhat increased recoil, then by all means go with it. 458 Win mag also works fine in the Lott chamber so you don't need to use the full power Lott round.

mosinwolf762

Reaction score
Yes, the Lott is a bit overpowered for anything I'd ever hunt, but that did get me looking closer into the CZs. I really like the Mauser style crf action which is what got me into the Ruger to start with but the CZs are a really nice gun! Now with that being so I've completely ruled out the savage so that leaves me with the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan .375 Ruger, or the CZ 550 magnum in .375 h&h?????

kobuk

Reaction score
It almost seems that you might be overthinking this? haha I really liked that CZ550 in 375 H&h as well. I suggest you go and handle both because they are way different from each other and that might help your decision. Internet looking won't help you here. The CZ550 that I looked at was very nice, had wood stock, CRF, nice flip up express sights and held 4 in the magazine. The action was nice and smooth and overall a sweet rifle. Not trying to sway you either way because they are both great in my mind. What I didn't like in comparison for how I hunt was that the CZ was heavier, the 4 down magazine made it a little bulkier and I preferred the shorter action and shorter barrel. It comes down to personal preferences and only you can make that decision.

moose338

Reaction score
I agree with kobuk above, it pretty much boils down to which one you like better.

From my limited experience with CZ rifles, I think they are slightly higher quality than Ruger. I think they generally have a smoother action and nicer trigger. Depending on what price you can get, I personally would probably opt for the CZ. However overall I wouldn't really say that either one is clearly "better" than the other.

mosinwolf762

Reaction score
I found a used CZ 550 in .375 h&h at Cabela's and I love the feel of it. I'm a tall guy with Long arms and the CZ seem to actually fit me very well! It's definitely not as weather resistant as the Ruger, but does seem to be the better gun. I think I'm going with the CZ!

Reaction score
I found a used CZ 550 in .375 h&h at Cabela's and I love the feel of it. I'm a tall guy with Long arms and the CZ seem to actually fit me very well! It's definitely not as weather resistant as the Ruger, but does seem to be the better gun. I think I'm going with the CZ!
I used to think I needed stainless or something coated but I find that just made it easier to neglect the gun. I wipe down my blued howa grendel after every day of hunting with Barracade and bore snake. Still looks new after 5 years of hard use. Congrats on your new piece. I am jealous.

mosinwolf762

Reaction score
I used to think I needed stainless or something coated but I find that just made it easier to neglect the gun. I wipe down my blued howa grendel after every day of hunting with Barracade and bore snake. Still looks new after 5 years of hard use. Congrats on your new piece. I am jealous.
Is there something I can do to the wood for rainy days, or should I just pull out my stainless and synthetic savage on those days?

Reaction score
Is there something I can do to the wood for rainy days, or should I just pull out my stainless and synthetic savage on those days?
Seems like CZ has a fairly nice finish on the wood. I wouldn’t worry about it. If you wear it out all you will have left is a stock that needs refinished and mindful of memories!