375 Ruger

alaska bush man

Reaction score
performance

performance

Great article on guns and ammo web site about the 375 Ruger.....They are averaging 1.5" @ 100 yards with 270 SP.......but handloads are getting 1" or better.

1/2" groups

260 Nosler AB
Reloader 15 @ 75.0
WLRM Primer

Very good load.....I settled on 72.0 of Reloader 15 with 260 AB which is very close to 375HH vel......which is enough for me....in the interior!

turner1978

Reaction score

They did neck the 375 ruger down to 300 and 338 but they also shortened it to fit in a short action. I think ruger may have missed the boat on that one and should have just left it long action 300 and 338.

kingfisherktn

Reaction score
I received my 375 today. What a great feeling rifle!!!! Now I'm anxious to find some ammo and try it out.

kingfisherktn

Last edited:

turner1978

Reaction score
Alaska bush man

Alaska bush man

Thanks so much for posting that web sight for once fired brass. I bought 2 bags of it so that when I do get my new 375 ruger paid off I can start loading for it right away.

turner1978

Reaction score
kingfisherkton

kingfisherkton

Let us know how she shoots. How is the recoil? Can't wait to get mine.

Matt

Reaction score
I received my replacement stock from Hogue today. It didn't take long at all for it to get here.

alaska bush man

Reaction score
Scope

Scope

I put a Leupold 1.5x5 Matte in Warne Med QR lever Matte rings on mine....nice to be able to take the scope on and off and still keep zero.

Muzzle blast alittle more since the 20" barrel but very simlar to 375 HH really like the 260 AB and RL15 @ 72.0 with WLRM primers.

kingfisherktn

Reaction score
Matt

Matt

I received my replacement stock from Hogue today. It didn't take long at all for it to get here.

I didn't receive any paperwork with my gun from Hogue, did you? Or did you call Hogue once you got your gun?

Maybe my new one has been updated?

kingfisherktn

Matt

Reaction score
I didn't receive any paperwork with my gun from Hogue, did you? Or did you call Hogue once you got your gun?

Maybe my new one has been updated?

kingfisherktn

The only paperwork that came with the new stock was how to install the stock pretty much. I've had the rifle for a few months now. Though, I didn't get around to calling Hogue until just recently.

I'm sure you're new rifle has the updated stock.

kingfisherktn

Reaction score
Matt

Matt

The only paperwork that came with the new stock was how to install the stock pretty much. I've had the rifle for a few months now. Though, I didn't get around to calling Hogue until just recently.

I'm sure you're new rifle has the updated stock.

thanks

kingfisherktn

OKElkHunter

Reaction score
wood stock

wood stock

Has anyone had any issues with the wood stock, such as cracking or breaking? I heard that the original synthetic stock will crack at the grip. I have the African and haven't had the chance to fire it yet, but would like to know if I should rebed the stock before firing to prevent cracking or breaking.

Murphy

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the wood stock, such as cracking or breaking? I heard that the original synthetic stock will crack at the grip. I have the African and haven't had the chance to fire it yet, but would like to know if I should rebed the stock before firing to prevent cracking or breaking.

I had an African that cracked after only a few rounds. I sent it back for a quick replacement and the second one took about 35 rounds to crack at the wrist, both of them. I would suggest you have it bedded full length. That makes a very rugged stock then and it was only after this bedding that I got the rifle to shoot inside 2". After the third (and ugliest) stock was bedded the rifle would shoot 260 partitions into an inch with RL-15. Neither of the two Hogue stocked guns would break an inch but they did not break. When I sold one and full length bedded the other into a good McMillan stock (I hate that Hogue stock), after a little barrel break in, the 20" gun was a very nice shooter.

There is a good routine that in the know Ruger rifle owners follow. If it is 338 or bigger and if it is a walnut stock, it will break. Bed it from the start and enjoy a good rifle. They have always shot better when bedded.

Max475

Reaction score
Read this month's issue of "Rifle". Brian Pearce has an article called "Update on Ruger model 77 Hawkeye Rifle and the .375 Ruger Cartridge". It directly addresses the issue you've brought up. The gist of the article - the African will split after several rounds. Also, Hogue has begun replacing their original stocks on the Alaskan because of cracking - unbelievable for a synthetic.

alaska bush man

Reaction score
Reduced Loads

Reduced Loads

I started mine out at 72.0 of RL 15 with 260gr AB and 270 SP no problem yet.........I beleve the stock cracking is due to the heavy recoil,.....so reduced loads at 375 HH level should be sufficent!

Latest posts