270 wsm help !!

Murphy

Reaction score
As I read through ALL of these post, from back country and others, I can't help but think there is an equipment problem. I cannot say anything bad about Hornady dies, I've very limited experience with them. I have over the past four decades used a lot of equipment but have ended up now with only Redding and RCBS. A very strong press is absolutely necessary. The light weight aluminum presses and other associated budget equipment rarely ever performs like good sturdy cast iron. Also dies even from known high quality makers can on occasion have problems. I have owned hundreds of sets of dies and have settled on only three that I will buy and use, Redding, RCBS and Forster. This includes Presses.

I have found several little quirky issues with the WSM family of cases but nothing like this. I have all Redding dies in the WSM's, this includes the wildcats I've made on the cases. I have dies for the 6.5, 270. 7mm, 300, 325, 338, 358, 375, 411, 416, and 458 all on that WSM case. ( the 7mm is slightly different) I haven't really had any tough issues that I recall with any of them.

270ti

Reaction score
Ask your question on a forum where guys actually know what they are talking about. Lots of guessing going on here.

Armymark

Reaction score
Ask your question on a forum where guys actually know what they are talking about. Lots of guessing going on here.

Where is that? You got a set of facts to make a statement? What site do you recommend so we can determine if everyone there is worth a valued opinion? Go ahead and write the link and hit the send button.

Armymark

Reaction score

icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 270ti

Where is that? You got a set of facts to make a statement? What site do you recommend so we can determine if everyone there is worth a valued opinion? Go ahead and write the link and hit the send button.​

Nothin? Come on, go ahead and write the link and hit the send button, then sign it on the site your talking about so we can reference you and your reputation and your valued opinion. Do you have the same name on other sites or do you change it to reduce the continuity and add to the annonimity that can only be found on the internet?

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
Oh ye, of Little Faith.

Oh ye, of Little Faith.

My guess is, that we have to guess, since we're not there, and we don't have all the information. Hopefully, our guesses are educated ones.

I really like Murphy's guesses, especially when they support my own guesses.

I think his guesses are probably better than what many of us know. And, there are others with lots of experience too.

We'll get it figgered out, and have fun doin it.

Smitty of the North

back country

Reaction score
270ti THAT certainly wasn't necessary ! Well, Hornady tells me I am most likely "pulling" the shoulder forward with my having to force the expander button so much ... man ! didn't realize I was so strong ... In an abstract way it makes sense to me - All the same I am switching to Redding dies and adding carbide expander buttons (except with the 325 since they don't make an 8mm button ... yet) what should I use for neck lube should I still need to use it ?
I am indebted to all of you for trying to help me and it is good to have the comeradery (sp) as well !

stid2677

Reaction score
270ti THAT certainly wasn't necessary ! Well, Hornady tells me I am most likely "pulling" the shoulder forward with my having to force the expander button so much ... man ! didn't realize I was so strong ... In an abstract way it makes sense to me - All the same I am switching to Redding dies and adding carbide expander buttons (except with the 325 since they don't make an 8mm button ... yet) what should I use for neck lube should I still need to use it ?
I am indebted to all of you for trying to help me and it is good to have the comeradery (sp) as well !

I bought a set of Forster dies for my 325WSM and have great success with them. As you mentioned carbide sizers are unavailable for the 325WSM, so I used the one that came with my Forster die, I just took it out and chucked it in my drill and spun it in a rag with some JB paste until it was mirror smooth.

I hand lube my cases with Imperial wax and use my thumb to place a small amount in the neck. I then tumble them again to remove the lube.

Of course you may find better advice from 270TIs expert forum. However my results seem to have worked for me.

IMGP2835-1.jpg

Good luck Sir

Steve

Murphy

Reaction score
Smitty of the North - Thank you for your encouragement ! I suspect the uniqueness to WSM's as well - ALL have given me good information to look at and I WILL get to the bottom of this ... Is a RockChucker press considered heavy duty enough ? or should I get a "big boss" ?
The Rockchucker is definitely heavy enough, a very good press. I didn't ask am I'm sure you do lube the inside of the neck. I use the dry powder mica (??) stuff or Moly D so no sticky lube inside. I guess it could still be stretching with the expander action.

270ti

Reaction score
You can believe whatever you want, but when it comes to reloading, tossing out hail mary guesses doesn't cut it. Plenty of guys on different sites who know exactly what they are talking about and they don't need to guess. But, if you're fine with that, guess away. It's not like some guy will have his head resting up nice and close to his handloads when he pulls the trigger.

icon1.png

quote_icon.png

Where is that? You got a set of facts to make a statement? What site do you recommend so we can determine if everyone there is worth a valued opinion? Go ahead and write the link and hit the send button.​

Nothin? Come on, go ahead and write the link and hit the send button, then sign it on the site your talking about so we can reference you and your reputation and your valued opinion. Do you have the same name on other sites or do you change it to reduce the continuity and add to the annonimity that can only be found on the internet?

BrownBear

Reaction score
You can believe whatever you want, but when it comes to reloading, tossing out hail mary guesses doesn't cut it. Plenty of guys on different sites who know exactly what they are talking about and they don't need to guess. But, if you're fine with that, guess away. It's not like some guy will have his head resting up nice and close to his handloads when he pulls the trigger.

Without the rifle in hand and a chamber cast, you, me, and everyone you cite is guessing. Chill a bit.

My guess is that the chamber tollerences are pretty close. I've got a couple of guns that RCBS built for me, using the same reamer for both the chamber and the sizing dies. Case life is to die for, but at a price. Anything out of whack, and the cases don't fit. And heaven forbid I try those cases in another rifle. The usual thing out of whack is poor neck lubing prior to sizing. Next up is neck wall thickness. Next after that is case length.

Guesswork, but it's a boat we're all in.

MontanaRifleman

Reaction score

Then why don't you just move on? So far you haven't provided us with these so-called sites where "they know exactly what they're talking about", so I think you're probably blowing smoke. A lot of the guys here are about as knowledge as anyone and I've been on a few other sites as well. Sitting in front of our monitors, we have limited info so we have to make educated guesses in effort to help the OP with his problem.

Chill dude...

Armymark

Reaction score
icon1.png

quote_icon.png

You can believe whatever you want, but when it comes to reloading, tossing out hail mary guesses doesn't cut it. Plenty of guys on different sites who know exactly what they are talking about and they don't need to guess. But, if you're fine with that, guess away. It's not like some guy will have his head resting up nice and close to his handloads when he pulls

I noticed you didn't attach the link. Honestly I'm willing to learn, that's why I hang out here. We usually have discussions and tap learn from each other. If you have a link to a web page with members that are way more experienced than those here, give us the link. If you really care about the safety of the guy squeezing the trigger, it is you obligation to your fellow man to lend us access to such a wealth of knowledge.

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
I mic'd the sized cases and they are .008 larger than a new unfired case - I have tried short sizing them, I've tried sizing with the die akjusted to touch the top of the shellholder and I have tried with the die turned 1/2 a turn deeper, all with the same result - I have been handloading for a long, long time but I am by no means an "expert" or a machinist - 2 things ... I'm gonna try an RCBS die (only because that is what is available locally) to satisfy in my mind that I am not the "culprit" here and I don't know what the heck a "beeg'un" press is ??

I was inclined to agree with what the folk at Hornady told you but can't for the life of me see how stretching the neck coincides with the .008 increase in diameter!

Wished I had the stuff in my lap for a first hand look. If that .008 increase is at the base of the shell then I think Murphy has nailed it! Sounds to me like those cases are just a whisker from being "full" length sized!

270ti

Reaction score
You can believe whatever you want, but when it comes to reloading, tossing out hail mary guesses doesn't cut it. Plenty of guys on different sites who know exactly what they are talking about and they don't need to guess. But, if you're fine with that, guess away. It's not like some guy will have his head resting up nice and close to his handloads when he pulls

I noticed you didn't attach the link. Honestly I'm willing to learn, that's why I hang out here. We usually have discussions and tap learn from each other. If you have a link to a web page with members that are way more experienced than those here, give us the link. If you really care about the safety of the guy squeezing the trigger, it is you obligation to your fellow man to lend us access to such a wealth of knowledge.

Not sure what the rules are for linking to other forums, from this forum. Take a look around, plenty of guys who do precision long range shooting hanging on on forums. They have the reloading gig figured out, and have a wealth of knowledge. The problem with this site is that the guys who know something don't bother posting, as they get flame warnings or banned when they disagree with some of the guessing going on.

BrownBear

Reaction score
Lots of folks here know their stuff, too, having been at it for 40+ years including long range.

The point is, everyone is guessing if they don't have the gun and loads. Including the folks you claim but won't name.

Doesn't make one site better or worse, or anyone else's guess better or worse. Calling guys here a bunch of know-nothings and claiming others know better won't get the original poster anywhere closer to answers. Here or with your favorite experts on your other sites. If you've got the hot stuff for him and the great places to look, by all means do him and the rest of us a favor and send us where we really should be going for info. I'm betting their guesses won't be any different than ours.

back country

Reaction score
sorry ! I meant to mention that I misread the mic numbers (my glasses were on the bench instead of my nose)

back country

Reaction score
270ti - I have only one question to pose: why are you looking at this forum if the "others" are so much better ? as the famous English author put it so succinctly "where ignorance is bliss tis' a folly to be wise" ...

"WE" seem to be doing just fine, at least I am happy with the help and advice I've received herein and the posters are good people

Armymark

Reaction score
I suppose you could consider that we are guessing. I feel that without seeing the case we are all trying to eliminate some possibilities to help a brother find a solution. I myself have my way and others have theirs based on our experience level. I have been wrong here before and someone pointed out something that o had no experience with. There are some people here with a great amount of experience and to catagorically assume everyone here is not worth listening to was an insult to people who will try to help not laugh at someone who has encountered an obstacle would make it so no one could learn from anyone. Kind of like a secret web site where all the knowledge is without any sharing of that valuable experience

MontanaRifleman

Reaction score
Not sure what the rules are for linking to other forums, from this forum. Take a look around, plenty of guys who do precision long range shooting hanging on on forums. They have the reloading gig figured out, and have a wealth of knowledge. The problem with this site is that the guys who know something don't bother posting, as they get flame warnings or banned when they disagree with some of the guessing going on.

I hang out at the LRH forum quite a bit and I don't think their answers would be any different. I have seen these kind of threads there as well, and it's always a trouble shooting guessing game. It is what is.

Latest posts