270 vs 284...lets argue:):)

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
I agree Sayak, the 270 will likely live forever
LuJon- now ya done it buddy, we all know the 308 ( and don't even whisper 30-06 ) would do it all and with style and affordability.
All these other guns is just for scratchin the buying itch! :)

The problem is you guys are all like skeeters giving me a reason to itch!

Smitty (bless his heart) keeps hitting me over the head with the 7mm fanatic stuff! Smokey buys a purdy new 284 everything shooter. Here I am without a 7mm to my name! I could get a 280 like Smokey or a 7x57, 7mm mag or the Weatherby version like Smitty has but I'd rather beat to my own drum and get one of those short fat 7mms.

Fellers I'm itchin so bad right now that I'm gonna either have to go soak in the tub full of corn meal and epsoms salts or go buy me a gun!

Keep arguing....I'll be back after I go look for a cure for this itch!

HuntKodiak

Reaction score
EK,

You don't own a 7mm and you should.

Seems like a good enough reason to me. Then after you play around a bit, you can look in the mirror and argue with yourself. :lol:

HK

mfletcher

Reaction score
You just have to know how to hide them here and there and pretty things out of 'em.

JEFFSTER

Reaction score
I grew up reading Jack O' Mr.270 himself and thus went on to take my first deer, bear, and antelope with a .270 Think he was even quoted as saying the 7mm was a slightly better bullet between the two.
I never favored the 130 gr as much as the 140 gr though as the BC was better in my mind. I would always lean to the .270 because it was what I started out with. No reason other than that. Ford vs Chevy if you will.

green sourdough

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a fast twist 7mm WSM for some time. Those high BC bullets sure are enticing.

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
Well fella's I have one cornered! We'll see what tomorrow brings!

I wonder where Smitty wandered off to? I was sorta spectin a better debate outta him! I already agree with most everything he says I just don't want him to think I'm a push over! If I give in to easy he might get a swelled head and then he'd have to raise his scopes even higher!

mainer_in_ak

Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the most prominent hunters that I've met in this state have shot some form of 7mm for many game animals. One guy lives in the bush off what he shoots, one guy is an elder and was once "hunter and gatherer of the year" up north. One guy wrote a book about hunting in Alaska. All these fellas shot game. I took an older guy dipnetting last year and he told me a story of when he lived somewhere down in remote southeast and shot a massive bear that killed his dog. Two shots from a 280 but his dog was dead so now all he had was a dead bear along with the dog. This old fella is a forum member here, but can't remember his name. I've observed a pattern over the years of meeting people who successfully take all animals with some form of 7mm. It makes perfect sense considering a 175 grainer from a 280 rem. 7mm wsm or 280 win. is going to do the same thing as a 180 grainer from a 30-06. EKC doesnt have to worry about what's suitable for AK though, so again......either one.

Smitty of the North

Reaction score
SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points
Smitty of the North, you helped me alot with the troubles I was having with my 270 WSM but after solving those I have no criticisms of WSM cartridges at all - they feed well, they are efficient as proven with PPC and BR rounds years prior - I have fallen in lust with my 270 WSM but I used to be a died in the wool 7mm "man" - "IF" you are gonna handload the 7mm WSM would be alright but for some reason unknown to me the 7mm hasn't been as popular as the 270/300/325 WSM, at least from what I see - I don't think you would go wrong with either but the fact that the 270 WSM will darn near match the 270 Weatherby and in a lightweight more handy rifle is all I need - Now, if a sweet deal on a 7mm WSM that I really "needed" came past I will admit that I would be a bidder
Oh, I just hate the WSMs. I said, I wouldn't choose a 7mm WSM, OR the 270 WSM.

I believe that PPC, and BR stuff as it relates to the WSMs is a bunch of unproven hooey.

Also, it hasta be a huge stretch to say, the "270 WSM will darn near match the 270 Weatherby".

I seen a test by Layne Simpson where the 270 WSM barely beat the regular 270, and with one FL was behind it.

He tested both handloads and Factory Loads. If I can find it I'll post it again, or maybe I should PM it to you, since it usually does't get a good reception by all.

Smitty of the North

OK, it gets a little misaligned when it's copied over, but you can figger it out.

BALLISTICS COMPARISON
.270 Winchester and .270 WSM
270 Win. -- 270 WSM
Best accuracy handloads: .82-- .89
Best accuracy factory loads: 1.18-- 1.09
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average accuracy handloads: 1.69-- 1.75
Average accuracy factory loads: 1.54-- 1.61
Average accuracy overall: 1.64-- 1.70
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highest velocity, 130 gr, handloads: 3,153-- 3,262
Highest velocity, 130 gr, factory: 3,218-- 3,156
Highest velocity, 140 gr. handloads: 3,011-- 3,040
Highest velocity, 140 gr. factory: 3,077-- 3,134
Highest velocity, 150 gr. handloads: 2,952-- 3,058
Highest velocity, 150 gr. factory: 2,841-- 3,058
Highest velocity, 160 gr. handloads: 2,834-- 2,844

Smokey

Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the most prominent hunters that I've met in this state have shot some form of 7mm for many game animals. One guy lives in the bush off what he shoots, one guy is an elder and was once "hunter and gatherer of the year" up north. One guy wrote a book about hunting in Alaska. All these fellas shot game. I took an older guy dipnetting last year and he told me a story of when he lived somewhere down in remote southeast and shot a massive bear that killed his dog. Two shots from a 280 but his dog was dead so now all he had was a dead bear along with the dog. This old fella is a forum member here, but can't remember his name. I've observed a pattern over the years of meeting people who successfully take all animals with some form of 7mm. It makes perfect sense considering a 175 grainer from a 280 rem. 7mm wsm or 280 win. is going to do the same thing as a 180 grainer from a 30-06. EKC doesnt have to worry about what's suitable for AK though, so again......either one.

I think for the most part the 7mm stuff is just the most "comfortable" load that a hunter could use, it has all the killing power one would need for almost any game animal within reason, and at a distance that most shooters should confine their shots to, and stops short of being a heavy recoiler.
So, its a pleasant, adequate, versatile round and it does not matter which 7mm you decide on, as it is rather irrelevant...IMO Just pick a flavor and go shoot something!:)

Smokey

Reaction score
EKC, clearly the barrel is bent just by looking at the pics - but it shouldn't effect "your' shooting much! :)
OK, more dies, more bullets, another scope, - I like I like!

Dan in Alaska

Reaction score
I am a big .284 caliber fan, due to what many have already mentioned - bullet selection, higher-BC, etc. My dad used to joke that there's nothing a .270 can do that a .280 can't do better. :D

I have a Kimber Montana on order in .280AI, and I think it's going to be an ideal rifle for lots of hunting situations. At 5# 10oz, she's going to be lighter and sweeter than her pot-bellied WSM sister! EKC, I say skip the chunky WSM's altogether and stick with the prom queen - the .280AI!

I shamelessly stole this picture from another forum, but it's too sexy not to share:
montuckysfinest.jpg

Smokey

Reaction score
Too late Dan, I fear EKC et some of that Iowa beef that had "mad cow disease" and he went and bought one of the "chubby" guns...
Poor guy, we just can't save em all I reckon...

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
EKC, clearly the barrel is bent just by looking at the pics - but it shouldn't effect "your' shooting much! :)
OK, more dies, more bullets, another scope, - I like I like!

Anybody can shoot a straight barrel!

Dan in Alaska

Reaction score
Too late Dan, I fear EKC et some of that Iowa beef that had "mad cow disease" and he went and bought one of the "chubby" guns...
Poor guy, we just can't save em all I reckon...
At least he stuck with the 7WSM over the wussy .270WSM. He'll be taking lunch money on the playground instead of giving it! :D

elmerkeithclone

Reaction score
Yeah...Well...least wise I don't itch no more! Besides my chubby ugly gun can hold a barbed wire fence down so as to save my......can yours?