22 250 for caribou?

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
I couldn’t think of a worse idea than long range head shots on anything. Head shots are very low percentage shots that result in a lot of wounded animals running around jawless or blind.

While I would agree with this for pretty much any game you're going to hunt up here, I think it depends on the animal. We hunt wild hogs back home and always, universally, shoot head shots. The gristle and fat on a hog's body closes up a bullet hole pretty fast, so what you get with a vitals shot is a hog that will run fast for a while before collapsing, but leave no blood trail because the fat closed up the bullet hole. With a behind the ear head shot, what you get is a hog that collapses instantly on the spot. Saves you a lot of secondary hunting for an animal, and since most of that hunting is done at dusk, saves a lot of lost hogs.

I know that isn't at all applicable to the big game in AK, but you since you mentioned white tails (non Alaska game), I thought I'd offer a different view.

hodgeman

Reaction score
While I would agree with this for pretty much any game you're going to hunt up here, I think it depends on the animal. We hunt wild hogs back home and always, universally, shoot head shots.

Out of curiosity, what sort of ranges are you talking about? I've always been under the impression that most hog hunting is a relatively close range affair within cover- not unlike hunting whitetails in the Smokies where I grew up.

Thebear_78

Reaction score
I can’t speak much of hog hunting as I have killed a few but shot them behind the shoulder. I have heard a lot of stories about how tough this “gristle shield” was but got thru and thru penetration with 130gr TTSX in the 270.

As far as bullets for the 22-250 and big game. The 53gr TTSX and 64gr Nosler has proven effective on whitetails. One of my buddies back home in michigan uses a 22-250 for whitetails every year. He had some shoulder injuries that cause him to be a tad recoil shy. Shortly after his shoulder surgery I loaned him my encore 22-250 and he used winchester 64gr PP load. It worked like a charm for 4 whitetails from 60-225 yards that first year, one buck and 3 does, all one shot stops and only one doe had the bullet fail to exit. It was a quartering toward angle and bullet stopped somewhere in the intestines after busting thru the shoulder joint at 60 yards.

The next year he picked up a remington 700 dal but didn’t get very good accuracy with the 64gr winchester load, 3-4” at 100 yards, and picked up some barnes 53gr TSX that I loaded up for him, little better accuracy but still not very impressive 2-3”at 100 yards. HE used those loads for a couple years and never recovered on from a whitetail. He had the rifle rebarreled and trued up last summer, and went with a 1-12 twist shilen barrel and put it in a decent stock. He picked up some nosler ammo with the 60gr partition. Its now shooting MOA or better and he used the partition on 3 whitetails last year. All broadside, all pass thru, and bang flops or short recovery.

A fast expanding bullet in the vitals of a whitetail will scramble the insides and drop a deer just as fast as a 180gr 30 cal bullet every time. The trick is in bullet placement.

FL2AK-Old Town

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what sort of ranges are you talking about? I've always been under the impression that most hog hunting is a relatively close range affair within cover- not unlike hunting whitetails in the Smokies where I grew up.

Pretty much.

20 yards and under and usually from a tree stand or a vehicle. One friend hunts using a 30-30 or 243, another uses a 223. Some guys will use a 44 handgun. They aren't exceptionally difficult to kill, i.e one doesn't need a heavy caliber, but they don't bleed well I guess.

Latest posts