2014 Homer Elks Derby

Yeti

Reaction score
Hope I didn't miss a thread already, anybody heading down for the Elks King Derby? I have not fished this late in the fall down there and am wondering where would be a good place to start looking for the bite

Kardinal_84

Reaction score
I'll be fishing it in a powerboat. I hear the fishing is good everywhere. It's not like the March derby. Fish are considerably smaller but much more numerous.

Managed one off the kayak last week. Try again today if the weather allows.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

fishon

Reaction score
Hope I didn't miss a thread already, anybody heading down for the Elks King Derby? I have not fished this late in the fall down there and am wondering where would be a good place to start looking for the bite

Fish are in all areas. Lots of recruits so handle with care. Good luck. FISHON !!!

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
When is this? I couldn't find much info on it. Other than historically being the first weekend in oct.

tomfishhunter

Reaction score
Anybody catch fish or did it get blown off? Haven't been able to find any info on the derby

Kardinal_84

Reaction score
Anybody catch fish or did it get blown off? Haven't been able to find any info on the derby

We managed a few but it was a little slower than we had hoped for. I know a few boats came in with some really nice fish! Leader day one was a touch over 20 pounds. Couldn't stay for the banquet so not sure who won it.

Day one we managed to boat 14 kings...unfortunately 12 of those fish were under 20 inches. Day two, switched out the gear that was hitting all of the smaller kings and managed 5 to the boat with 3 over 20".

Crazy weather. Super sunny and flat calm one minute. Howling wind, pouring rain, and big waves the next. Had a blast! Enough so we will be hitting it again this coming weekend!

Not the best video but for posterity's sake....