19’ Grumman Steering

Reaction score
Who has steered a 19’ Grumman from the middle or front seat with a tiller extension pole ? Interested

Last edited:

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
If your talking just a pole, no motor..... I used to have a 17' Michi Craft and polled it all over the place standing, using a pole. Used to shoot carp and bullfrogs. You can actually paddle with a pole too. Those were the days.

Reaction score
Dave
sounds like they were using a tiller extension fiberglass pole and putting a short piece of radiator hose as a joint at the handle and operating it from the front of canoe

poleing done that gigging flounder on the outer banks in a flat bottom John at night after tide went out back in the 70’s.

Reaction score
Dave
In NC we had big dark bullfrogs man they are good eating ……..love frog legs deep fried with a little lemon juice on them. That too brings back memories. Remember watching them twitch while deep frying .
as big as chicken legs

Sid

Reaction score
Have used a pole many years ago, on lakes , ponds an very slow moving water works great

Daveinthebush

Administrator
Reaction score
Thinking about the post now, I remember Heimo Korth using a tiller extension on his canoe (Might have been Bob Harte). He did really well with it. He'd start the motor and then hurry up front to the end of the tiller and go from there. He did this as a way of life and was an expert. He knew the Collen River like the back of his hand and it can be done, I am sure. I miss my bull frog hunting days. Best day was 238 frogs.

Sid

Reaction score
A few years back the people of Maine but the 5 / 6 HP motors in the middle of the canoe an stand next to it an up or down the rivers , run out of water ? would tip the canoe up so prop was out of water an push the canoe up or down with a stick / pole it worked for them the creeks / brooks / rivers were open no log jams that I saw , an shallow , long time ago like 45 plus years , things have changed a lot ,

Reaction score
Thinking about the post now, I remember Heimo Korth using a tiller extension on his canoe (Might have been Bob Harte). He did really well with it. He'd start the motor and then hurry up front to the end of the tiller and go from there. He did this as a way of life and was an expert. He knew the Collen River like the back of his hand and it can be done, I am sure. I miss my bull frog hunting days. Best day was 238 frogs.

yes a long tiller extension with rubber flexible joint. Those are old names in canoeing. Wish I had a steering wheel toward the front.
238 frogs was a super night. I never even came close to that number.
Big Mud Turtles also remember my dad jumping out of pick up truck close to home and pulling a big wash pan size mud turtle out of his hole by the tail. That was great eating! He told me the trick was to grab it’s tail before it could turn around in its hole. Wow !