• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

150 or 200hp/Suzuki or Honda?

DanC

Reaction score
Everybody, thanks for your contributions

Everybody, thanks for your contributions

Per your comments I have decided on the 200. It will be Yamaha because that's what the dealer sells. I was confused with Honda because that is what appears in the Hewescraft brochure.

I am adding all the electronics and gadgets available at this time too and am really looking forward to having a new toy.

Subsistence gillnetting to fill the freezer with salmon, spring brown bear in SE,... Ah, but it's nice to dream. It's going to be a long winter until spring when I can get out and play.

Dan

Mort

Reaction score
Props on 150s

Props on 150s

DMan,

I'm running the Solas 14-1/4 x 17 stainless. I started with the Yamaha 17 aluminum, but revs topped out at 5400 and I had real problems with cavitation. Had the Solas props with me (spring bear hunt) so I swapped them out and got right to 6000. Top speed 1 mph higher, fuel economy better, and no cavitation problems. No questions here!

BTW, all testing was done with a heavy boat - 2 guys w/ gear, full/extra fuel, etc.

Can't comment on your different performance, since I'm running a 26' with twins. But Dewey's was great about letting me experiment with the different props til I found the right combo.

Mort

DMan

Reaction score
Per your comments I have decided on the 200. It will be Yamaha because that's what the dealer sells. I was confused with Honda because that is what appears in the Hewescraft brochure.

I am adding all the electronics and gadgets available at this time too and am really looking forward to having a new toy.

Subsistence gillnetting to fill the freezer with salmon, spring brown bear in SE,... Ah, but it's nice to dream. It's going to be a long winter until spring when I can get out and play.

Dan

Dan, if you looking at goodies I would highly recommend the fuel management system. It is very nice to have. Tells you what your current GPH at your current RPM is, Tells you how much fuel you have burned, also can have your GPS wired in so that it will tell you your current MPG at your current RPM. Takes all the guess work out of your gas gauge.

D

DMan

Reaction score
Dan, I heard that when running two screws it would help get to RPM. For some reason I couldn't get the solas over 5400 RPM however my trim wasn't perfect so I am thinking I could probably get to 5500 RPM with it. I was hoping the Yamaha prop would do me a little it better since it is smaller in diameter by about 1/2 inch. The Yamaha 17 pitch I am looking at is the black steel. What RPM are you able to get when you are just running one motor? Dewey's has commited to me that they will allow me to swap around next spring until I find the best prop. I might just take them all out with me one day and go crazy testing.

D

P.S. Was your boat at Deweys around August Sept timeframe? I think I saw it.

ACBMAN

Reaction score
Anchorage only because that's where the work is
Bigger motor

Bigger motor

One other point which I would think is true is that a bigger motor can be run at a lower rpm to do what you need ,if it's not being run anywhere near full rpm you would hope it will run more hours.What do you think?

BrianW

Reaction score
One other point which I would think is true is that a bigger motor can be run at a lower rpm to do what you need ,if it's not being run anywhere near full rpm you would hope it will run more hours.What do you think?

Absolutely, but it should be propped to run up to max rpms as listed by the engine manufacture. Then run at a 'cruise' range, usually around 4000-4500rpms.

DMan

Reaction score

I agree. As long as you can hit 5500 RPM's at WOT then you know that your prop is sized correctly with your motor and your not lugging your motor down and at risk of blowing it. Then you can run at any RPM.

I talked to Yamaha and they said that you can run them way down in RPM's to cruise where you want as long as your WOT is at 5500 RPM or higher. Dewey's did tell me of a boat that blew the motors becuase they were always running the motors at very low RPM's and never got them up in RPM. My Uncle told me on the race cars they run they always break the motors in at WOT to set the rings at WOT that way it will run the best when they are all the way into it.

Within a fairly close truth most motors will burn about that same fuel econ at a certain speed when the prop is sized right. For instance a 115 might burn 11GPH at 6000 RPM where a 150 will burn 11GPH at 5100 RPM and both boats be going the same speed.

I still think to a point though that when it says operating range is 5000 - 6000 it is probably safest to stay in that range and for that reason I usually run 5000 - 5200 RPMS.

I got GREAT fuel econ with the Solas prop were are talking about but I only saw 5400 RPM consistently and I don't want to risk it. I was doing 4800RPM at 32MPH and burning like 9 - 10 GPH. That is on the better range than the 115 pushing my boat at 6000RPM at 11GPH and only doing 30MPH.

Anywas information overload. Sorry

D

BrianW

Reaction score
I agree. As long as you can hit 5500 RPM's at WOT then you know that your prop is sized correctly with your motor...

Assuming that 5500rpm is the max recommended by the engine manufacture. They vary, so I didn't set a specific number in my post.

DMan

Reaction score
Assuming that 5500rpm is the max recommended by the engine manufacture. They vary, so I didn't set a specific number in my post.

Right, I used 5500 as an example since it is what I am familar. Everything I say is subject to question anyway!! HA HA :)

asorum

Reaction score
Rocky's is a great company. We use them here in Valdez and I used them when we lived in Wrangell.

FYI, the Suzuki DF 300 hp won an IBEX Innovation award last week in Miami Beach. They claim it weighs the same as others 250 hp outboards.

Latest posts