10mm Best Hunting and DG defense bullet.

Tenmm

Reaction score
This is a great post!
At "bear defense distance", assuming that would be close, wouldn't a jacketed bullet be more likely to expand, or over-expand close, where the velocity is higher?
Probably depends on bullet construction, and at what velocities it expands. I consider "bear defense distance" to be pretty close, and at the point where you have to fire your weapon to save lives, good hits are going to be of first importance.

I guess, expansion would be good, if there was adequate penetration.

What kind of penetration have you gotten with jacketed bullets?
I shot a caribou and found both bullets just under the skin on the far side. I've not tried with a hardcast though, Ill have to do that when I get a chance.

Would a Hornady XTP of a given weight, penetrate as well as a Hard Cast of the same weight?
I'm going to say no, just because of the expansion. Its true that 18" vs 12" of penetration could mean all the difference in a bear encounter. Which brings me to the next question.

In your opinion, are we putting too much emphasis on penetration, in our choice of projectiles for bear defense?
Yes. Use what you are competent and comfortable with, knowing a handgun is a marginal choice of defensive weapons when unhappy bruins are involved.

I use ONLY Cast bullets in my handguns for Bear Defense, 357 and 44 Mag. And, Heavier than normal weights. To err on the side of penetration, I guess.

Thanks
Smitty of the North
This is all my own opinion, of course, and I hope I'm articulating my thoughts adequately. When carrying an autoloader as backup, I keep a spare mag of hardcast within reach.

Daved

Reaction score
I just got the 10mm Glock 20. Ordered a lone wolf barrel to shoot cast bullets with if I want. Was planning to shoot the laser cast 180g. Might get the flat nose 200g instead, still not sure. It shoots 180g FMJ just fine, but I think penetration and hitting a bone to stop a dangerous critter is important, so I am going to carry it in the woods with the cast bullets if I am worried about big bears. I might use it to hunt with some, like for pigs and maybe deer, then some of the other bullets would be just fine.

AK Bearcat

Reaction score
Hope that you like your G20. Which one did you order? The wife and I both have G20sf's that we carry all the time. I hope that you find a good load using the Laser cast bullets. We shoot a LOT of the Laser cast 180 grain bullets and have not had any issues with them. You may find that you will need to send the Lone Wolf barrel back to have the chamber 'opened up' a little as the chambers are on the tight side. We had issues with the cast reloaded ammo chambering. You might also want to watch the Nosler Pro Shop for their seconds and blam bullets. Sometimes they have their 10mm jacketed bullets at about the same price as cast bullets.

I just got the 10mm Glock 20. Ordered a lone wolf barrel to shoot cast bullets with if I want. Was planning to shoot the laser cast 180g. Might get the flat nose 200g instead, still not sure. It shoots 180g FMJ just fine, but I think penetration and hitting a bone to stop a dangerous critter is important, so I am going to carry it in the woods with the cast bullets if I am worried about big bears. I might use it to hunt with some, like for pigs and maybe deer, then some of the other bullets would be just fine.

MarineHawk

Reaction score
I have been very pleased with Double tap 200 gr wfhcfn or whatever. Hard cast flat bullet. Very reliable and accurate in my glock 20 with standard length KKM barrel and my delta elite. Must have got a bad box once as I had a few light primer strikes in both guns, which neither had ever had before. Mike at DT sent me a free box and sure enough, 100% reliable. As I recall, it was just a bad batch. Not sure. With cost and availability issues associated with 10 mm, I consider reloading a great option. Got a Dillon 550B and cranking out 10 mm ammo at a fraction of the prices I was used to paying. Like $7-8/box of 50, compared to paying $35-40/box for commercially available options. A simple reloading kit can be bought pretty cheaply. Something to consider.

Dan

Dan, I hope you are well. I have the same favorite 10mm round--the DT 200gr WFNHC. It has functioned flawlessly in my G20SF with my 4.6" and 6" KKM barrels. I generally love BB ammo, but their 200+gr loads do not function reliably with my KKM barrels. I'm sure it's just because of the tighter tolerances of those barrels. Also, the 230gr DT also doesn't function reliably in my setup. It probably has something to do with the COAL and with of the wide bullet nose not fitting well in those barrel throats.

The BB 180gr HPs do function flawlessly in my set up. It's a wicked beast, thought I would only use it in personal self-defense of on animals in the deer/caribou size range--being a hollow point.

This is what I got over my chrono:

Double Tap 200gr WFNHC (Factory says 1,300fps) - 6.0” Barrel
1,266 fps
1,249 fps
1,238 fps
1,226 fps
1,233 fps
AVG: 1,242 fps
FPE: 685 ft-lbs

Double Tap 200gr WFNHC (Factory says 1,300fps) - 4.6” barrel
1,190 fps
1,151 fps
1,200 fps
1,189 fps
AVG: 1,183 fps
FPE: 622 ft-lbs

Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP (Factory says 1,350 fps) - 6.0” Barrel
1,386 fps
1,381 fps
1,391 fps
1,383 fps
1,370 fps
AVG: 1,382 fps
FPE: 763 ft-lbs

Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP (Factory says 1,350 fps) - 4.6” barrel
1,334 fps
1,311 fps
1,279 fps
1,280 fps
AVG: 1,301 fps
FPE: 677 ft-lbs

Kruger

Reaction score
We are preparing to ship 11,000rds of 220gr Hard Cast 10mm ammo up to Anchorage here in a couple weeks as well as 4,000 rounds of 10mm range ammo. Our 220gr rounds have a BNH of 21-22. They are also coated with Hi-Tek. This is a black coating that prevents leading and is very friendly to Glocks. Also keeps your barrels much cleaner. These will be selling for $26 per 20rd box. As for velocity we are working at getting 1150fps 1200fps out of a regular G20, those with 1911s and 6" barrels will get better velocities. We have no intentions of trying to reach extreme velocities. Not all pistols are equal and safety is paramount. Our velocities will be based on a Glock 20's 4.60" barrel.

kk alaska

Reaction score
Would like to buy some 220 gr loads where is it available?

Kruger

Reaction score
Our present deal is with Alaskan Custom Firearms of Anchorage.