Thread: Kings in Swanson River in the past?

Supporting Member

Default Kings in Swanson River in the past?

A month or so ago, and old timer from out north told me that the Swanson River used to have a run of King Salmon. He said they were still around into the 70's, but they got wiped out. Has anyone here ever heard that before? Sure would be nice to have them reintroduced if they were in the Swanson in the past.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The Kenai Peninsula to Anchorage Southern Intertie Project Draft EIS (September 2001) cited "small numbers" of Chinook occurring in Swanson River (page 3-101).

This may have been the information source: https://www.fws.gov/r7/fisheries/fis.../t_1993_21.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The Kenai Peninsula to Anchorage Southern Intertie Project Draft EIS (September 2001) cited "small numbers" of Chinook occurring in Swanson River (page 3-101).

This may have been the information source: https://www.fws.gov/r7/fisheries/fis.../t_1993_21.pdf
    Intersting read. Thanks.

That would make sense, since smaller streams such as Stariski had runs. Unfortunately, such runs fall prey to over-fishing and whole runs can easily be wiped out, especially when combined with a bad year or environmental factors.

Interesting read for sure.

Minor runs of kings occur(ed) in a host of streams/tribs in Cook Inlet that were never in the spotlight. Peter's Creek in Chugiak, Eagle River, Bird Creek, Indian Creek. Not sure that 20 mile Placer or Portage ever had kings. Stariski Creek was mentioned as well as Swanson in the opening post. In the Kenai drainage, Beaver Creek once had spawning kings as did Soldotna Creek. Slikok may be spared their fate given recent regulation changes to protect Slikok spawners. Juneau Creek, Russian River, Quartz Creek, and Grant Creek are some of the minor creeks hosting early run Kenai kings.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That would make sense, since smaller streams such as Stariski had runs.....
    Heck, Crooked Ck. isn't much different than the Swanson, and they even call Swanson a "river"......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That would make sense, since smaller streams such as Stariski had runs. Unfortunately, such runs fall prey to over-fishing and whole runs can easily be wiped out, especially when combined with a bad year or environmental factors.
    We had Silvers/Coho in Leif Creek a number of years ago. A small run. Likely only came in on one tide. BUT, a couple idiots decided that would be a good place to dip net. Haven't seen any there in the past several years now. Not a one.

As a little kid, I remember seeing a small king in Beaver Creek back in 1974 below the Spur Hwy culvert. Pretty certain that population has been completely extirpated.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

I have friends that said as few as 15 years ago you could see 50+ pound kings right off the road where slikok creed crosses.
    I haven't seen a fish there in 9 years. I am guessing a few may trickle in at the bottom but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    I have friends that said as few as 15 years ago you could see 50+ pound kings right off the road where slikok creed crosses.
    I haven't seen a fish there in 9 years. I am guessing a few may trickle in at the bottom but not sure.
    I remember slikok being packed with kings when I was a kid. The pool below the culvert off of college road would be loaded too. I used to ride my bike down there and watch them.
    I also remember riding down there once and someone had snagged a bunch of the hens and cut the eggs out and just left the carcass on the bank. I'll bet there was 20 dead kings there that just had the eggs taken.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I remember slikok being packed with kings when I was a kid. The pool below the culvert off of college road would be loaded too. I used to ride my bike down there and watch them.
    I also remember riding down there once and someone had snagged a bunch of the hens and cut the eggs out and just left the carcass on the bank. I'll bet there was 20 dead kings there that just had the eggs taken.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Horrible to hear that. Recent mainstem regs are powerless to protect fish subjected to that kind of abuse in the creek itself. It wasn't that long ago.... 2013 or 2014 that Slikok was down to only 24 hens past the weir. There were also some notorious brown bears wreaking havoc on the few that made it past. Haven't seen a recent stock assessment on this trib. Extra sad that a population in this much trouble is literally right in the backyard of the ADFG Soldotna office.
    The KeenEye MD