Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a Walkie Talkie/Communication Device Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I may have given you bad info, its been awhile since i have used mine. Its a 130. In any case i did get the rino and the walkie talkie to communicate. However i did not receive the location... its possible what I recall was with another Rino... i hope you didn't run out & buy one on my post.
    Nope, not yet. Thanks for letting me know. Because I was considering it.

After using several of the 2-way radios for the past few years, I realized that the ones that performed the best relating to less use of battery power are the Midland GXT series such as the GXT950. This one has a "power/volume" on a rotary knob that is located on top of the radio near the antenna. Any radio where the power/volume control is not setup this way uses a lot more battery power, because even to control the volume you have to press a button (Up/Down arrow). This requires more battery power than turning a rotary knob with your fingers.

Also, another feature I don't want on a radio is having a small LED blinking light. While this LED uses little power to operate, it still uses battery power if you keep the radio on for extended periods of time. Also, don't relay on the rechargeable battery that comes with the radio, since this battery won't last more than 1-2 days or so if you transmit/receive several times each day. Bring a bunch of Alkaline batteries with you.

The radios that include GRMS channels work very well since they can transmit at a higher power level than the CB channels, but require a license if you want to be "legal." I do have the license because it's not very expensive (around $85.00 for 5 years), but if I well remember the license only covers family members:
    https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

So far that radios I like the most are the Midland GXT series such as the GXT950, or at least some of these ones:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?i=aps&k=Mid...ch-alias%3Daps

Speaking of batteries the lithium batteries seem to really last a long time.
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

I bought a pair of Motorola GMRS radios and they worked well. Decent signal when trees or gentle topography blocks line of sight. I checked the cost of the GMRS license and it's a little cheaper than Ray remembers, only $70 for ten years. I think they're the Talkabout T-600 model. Picked them up at AIH for about $100.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I bought a pair of Motorola GMRS radios and they worked well. Decent signal when trees or gentle topography blocks line of sight. I checked the cost of the GMRS license and it's a little cheaper than Ray remembers, only $70 for ten years. I think they're the Talkabout T-600 model. Picked them up at AIH for about $100.
    Good tips, Thanks CT. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Good to hear from you. I'm assuming everything went well with your cabin project. You should send some pictures some time.

You mean my ongoing and humbling education in remote logistics? Almost done. With the roofing. Ugh, wish I had it all dried in. Will try to get out there this weekend.

If things were a little more along with the cabin it would be our "social distancing" place of choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12