Thread: Weekend Shrimpers

Default Weekend Shrimpers

I'm curious, does anyone intentionally leave their pots soaking "during the week?" And, if so, what kind of results do you have when you do pull them?

I usually shrimp during the week and just kind of watch over my sets while fishing, and have observed that several sets near mine seem to never be pulled (unless they're pulled in the dead of night)--and have addresses in Anchorage or the Interior.

Is this an effective technique if one has to go back to work until the next weekend (not that anyone needs additional incentive to go back to the water, right?)?

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    I'm curious, does anyone intentionally leave their pots soaking "during the week?" And, if so, what kind of results do you have when you do pull them?

I usually shrimp during the week and just kind of watch over my sets while fishing, and have observed that several sets near mine seem to never be pulled (unless they're pulled in the dead of night)--and have addresses in Anchorage or the Interior.

Is this an effective technique if one has to go back to work until the next weekend (not that anyone needs additional incentive to go back to the water, right?)?
    Yep. Havenít done it much in recent years, but used to leave them out all summer. Usually checked every week or so, but sometimes sat for 3 weeks. Still plenty of shrimp in there after a week.

Unless you put in a ton of bait, out of Valdez I would not do it. We get too many poachers. I usually find a 2-day set is pretty good. 3-day the take seems to drop and by 4-day, it really drops off. I even use the large bait containers and put two in. Now in my honey hole, quite a few miles out, I would consider a 3-4 day soak and would try a week soak if I knew I was going to make it back.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

I used to find that witha longer soak I owuld get more octopus. Not all bad, but frustrating if thats all you got. You also have to be make sure to not be in the way of iceberg flows from glaciers and be ready to search sometimes for your pots. They can get drug by debris too. Have plenty of weight in them and a solid buoy.

Iíve left mine out for weeks at a time as well. It all comes down to how long you can keep bait in your trap and how many unethical people are in the area you shrimp. Iíve never had a problem where I normally drop pots but Iíve had a few strings pulled by others when Iím in closer to the harbor. I use the bait jars that use the slits instead of the holes and I can easily keep bait for a week.