Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denali Highway, Helicopters and Satellite Messengers

Thank you for that. It sounds like a pretty good device. Keep lite with just the mini or text away back at camp with your phone connected. At least you can use the presaved messages. Can someone contact you from home where you can read it on the mini? Like if there was an emergency and they wanted you to get back asap? This seems to be pretty popular, are you guys happy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    Thank you for that. It sounds like a pretty good device. Keep lite with just the mini or text away back at camp with your phone connected. At least you can use the presaved messages. Can someone contact you from home where you can read it on the mini? Like if there was an emergency and they wanted you to get back asap? This seems to be pretty popular, are you guys happy with it?
    I believe the only way to initiate a new message to an InReach...... is from another InReach.
    But if you send a text from your InReach to a cell phone you can text back and forth all you want.

I'm very happy with mine. $12 a month. Ten free 'unique' messages a month. Unlimited texts of three pre-set messages. I don't really chat on it but I do send a 'all is well' pre-set message whenever I feel like it. I keep the location setting on, so the text comes with GPS coordinates and a link to a map. People I choose to get my message know where I'm at. My prenuptial agreement includes secret hunting spots, so I'm all good!

I forgot to add- I do use my phone to pair with the mini. Only when sending unique messages. I've done it without and its not difficult, just time consuming. Presets are easy without the phone. But I bring my phone on trips anyway as my camera. In airplane mode and with one small booster I can get 9 days.

I might just throw this tidbit out there too.... as some of our aging eyes don’t work so good for some of us, there is another way to ‘text’ a msg from your Bluetooth phone/InReach devices that can make things really easy. Rather than looking for tiny blurry letters/numbers on your phone’s keyboard, you can hit that little microphone icon down in the bottom right corner of your phone’s keyboard. Speak s l o w l y and clearly and the spoken msg will magically appear on the screen, ready to be sent. No typing little letters needed.
    Many people know this but thought I’d enlighten others. This microphone works this way for regular ph to ph texting to, of course. I find it quite helpful.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

I use the "speaker" option a lot. Proof reading is essential afterwards though. My phone sometimes uses inappropriate language for all age groups.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

This is a very informative, helpful thread - thank you. I need to get an InReach but would prefer to not carry it and the small gps I use to help get out in the fog or dark. Will the InReach SE suffice or do I need to pay the extra ~$150 or so for the Explorer?

? for those that pull trailers with their ATVs. Are the 2 axle trailers more stable on rough trails than the single axle?

OP, it looks like the trailer is upright in the pics. Did it stay upright the whole time?

Anyone have some safety wisdom to share on ATV trailers?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    ? for those that pull trailers with their ATVs. Are the 2 axle trailers more stable on rough trails than the single axle?

OP, it looks like the trailer is upright in the pics. Did it stay upright the whole time?

Anyone have some safety wisdom to share on ATV trailers?
    My double is more stable regarding ruts and loads, however much bigger and heavier than my single. I do not have a walking axle. I will say that riding motorcycles most of my life taught how precious a front brake is and I think many times when people run into issues on hills they just forget about it so it makes wheelies and front ends going over much easier if you start sliding (not using front brake). So easy to overload an ATV or trailer and so many variables with conditions. We get so comfotable riding and sometimes get complacent with how dangerous any ride can be.

Do long distance multi day fishing trips 150-200 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, Inreach has changed the game allowing for communications with home without expense of satellite cell phone. Was sheep hunting in New Mexico in a very remote area for a week and kept us in touch with the family.

Has anyone shopped the Inreach Mini or Exploer + around for pricing.
    All i seem to find is $350 Mini and $450 Exploer +
    I never realized how many businesses sell Garmin products.
    Link to store locator from Garmin
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/dealerlocator/

I will probably buy it from REI and take the 10% dividend. It will pay for a few months of service.

When I was looking to get various communication equipment for my boating adventures, I reached out to a close friend who does a lot of mountaineering, and whose husband is a recently retired PJ here in AK. He may very well have been on the rescue discussed in this thread, I honestly don't know. I figured if I ever needed rescuing, it would be a good idea to find out what the rescuers recommend. For what it' worth, his first recommendation before I get anything else was the InReach.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

got my inreach from costco for 280. doesnt have any of the preloaded maps or anything but it tracks you and works well.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Kwackkillncrew
    That Explorer SE+ is a bargin if it has the options that you use. It has some of the important things SOS, text and GPS features.
    I see Costco online has it now a day for $289.

A guy really has to read these descriptions close, Explorer+ has a few more options but you pay for them.
    inReach Explorer+ device adds preloaded DeLorme TOPO maps with onscreen GPS routing plus built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer .

They all are cheap protection when it saves a life.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    My double is more stable regarding ruts and loads, however much bigger and heavier than my single. I do not have a walking axle. I will say that riding motorcycles most of my life taught how precious a front brake is and I think many times when people run into issues on hills they just forget about it so it makes wheelies and front ends going over much easier if you start sliding (not using front brake). So easy to overload an ATV or trailer and so many variables with conditions. We get so comfotable riding and sometimes get complacent with how dangerous any ride can be.
    If your quad is locked in 4wd, grabbing any brake will result in all the tires locking up. Can't just drag the front brakes on them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    SPOT works on Globalstar, and InReach works on Iridium.
    I believe it's also the case that SPOT just plain provides less voltage to their antenna, which doesn't help much with reception issues.

In dogsled race trackers we see a heck of a lot of lost data when there are mountains or other rocky stuff immediately to the south (for example, during the Yukon Quest around the Stewart River) or when it's very cold. Races aren't using inReaches but there's a tourism group running from Nenana to Nome at the moment and they've had inReach outages they're attributing to cold. But, that's a problem that's a lot easier to work around than underpowered antennas or disadvantageous orbits.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

In 4wd you are correct (as always)- I did not clarify that. I try to ride in 2 wd as much as possible unless needed and with great tires I find that I can do that much more often than with the stock tires.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123