Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laker Heartbreak

I've landed 37 Lakers through the ice since January. Prior to this winter, I've only ever caught 1 and it took me three years of trying, though not as hard as I went after it this winter. Here's another one.

You're killing me. Those fish are spectacular!

This was my first-ever lake trout from last year. He's a little guy, but dang it was fun watching them slash the surface of the water! I'll be back at it this spring, for sure!

My wife was able to land several really nice ones too! Over Valentines weekend, she caught 15 to my 4 and we were fishing right next to each other, lucky gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Lakers are easily the most exciting fish to catch through the ice, I am addicted after the past few months.
    I agree 100%. Lakers are the funnest to catch in the winter. Rainbows/steelhead the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I agree 100%. Lakers are the funnest to catch in the winter. Rainbows/steelhead the rest of the year.
    Agree to disagree on the rest of the year comment, only cause I'd rather hunt than fish any day!

But I do like a February Steelie fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Agree to disagree on the rest of the year comment, only cause I'd rather hunt than fish any day!
    ]
    Well then, why aren’t you out predator hunting in the winter instead of sitting over a hole in the ice?

I hear you - I enjoy fishing, but I love hunting.

I've taken my fair share of predators, but it's not the same as Big Game to me. Certainly exciting, no doubt!

Those are very nice lake trout Nick!.......and the best part is you're releasing those big trout that are sexually mature.

Brian.....I hope you pan fried that smaller trout as they are some of the best eating freshwater fish in Alaska.....IMO

Over 40" and 20#.... if you added 6" and 6# maybe
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post

Brian.....I hope you pan fried that smaller trout as they are some of the best eating freshwater fish in Alaska.....IMO
    I've had lake trout once before, and it was indeed excellent. That one, though, lived to swim another day. We'll be back up there again this spring, though, so one might end up in the pan over a campfire.

Default Laker Heartbreak

Did you get the # from that tag? It’s cool to see what the history of these fish are. We caught one there this year that was tagged in ‘98.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12