Thread: Portable Air Conditioner?

Default Portable Air Conditioner?

Have any of you guys ever tried one of those portable, one room air conditioners? The kinds that are a pretty small box, you don't have to vent, and I guess you just put water or ice water in them? I really don't want to be frying in my bed trying to sleep again if we get temps like we did last summer. I've heard mixed reports so that's why I ask. Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I worked a stint in warmer climates we called them swamp coolers. Definitely took the edge off, but I've never used one up here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Get a small one room Window Shaker, Air conditioner unit. they take 110 volt and need to be in a window, but they work. Last year we used fans. I invited a Boy Scout troop from down south. They ended up sleeping on cots, down stairs over the concrete floor, with a fan on all night. I keep all the doors closed during the day.

Supporting Member greyinggrayling's Avatar

My experience with swamp coolers in Texas - noisy, drips from condensation, and introduces a lot of moisture into the room. You would be better off figuring out a way to vent a small room a/c.

This is the type I'm talking about, not necessarily this particular brand: https://www.asseenontvpros.com/Arcti...ner_p_390.html

Never thought I'd be looking for an air conditioner in AK...!!! The times, they are a changin'....

I got one of those for my wife to help her sleep on hot nights. It won't cool a room, but it works pretty good for cooling a person.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I got one of those for my wife to help her sleep on hot nights. It won't cool a room, but it works pretty good for cooling a person.
    So are you saying it works good if you set it right next to you in bed?

Yes, she sets it on the headboard aimed at her. Filled with water it lasts through the night.

I got hers at Home Depot. I don't recall the exact price, but it was close to price shown in your link.

Thanks. Is it very loud?

I don't think so, but I'm 3/4 deaf. Too many years around jet engines. It's just a little fan in it. Not too loud.

My wife likes white noise. Helps her sleep. So it's good for her.

reviews on that unit from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Arctic-.../dp/B0787DD3RX

We bought a big one, different brand, but same functionality... it's worthless. I mean, I guess it's ok as a room fan, but I put a thermometer on the coffee table 4 feet from it when it was 90+, and it didn't drop the temp one single degree.

What we ended up getting was this: https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FF.../dp/B00W2KG92Y

It works GREAT. Only for the bedroom, but that's what really matters to me.

I noticed that they don't carry this particular item anymore, but any of the mini window mounts would work great for a single room at the house or cabin.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LOL, You're actually comparing one of those little swamp coolers to a window air conditioner?

Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    LOL, You're actually comparing one of those little swamp coolers to a window air conditioner?

Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, yes I am. Why? because they (allegedly) solve the same problem. One works, the other doesn't.

Thanks for your smugness.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Swamp coolers work best in areas of low relative humidity. That’s is why they were traditionally seen in desert areas. In damp climates the air is already saturated with moisture so there is little effect but in very dry climates adding moisture seems to make one feel cooler. Humidity combined with various temperatures plays tricks on our bodies. Back in the late 1940’s my Dad built a big swamp cooler like the ones popular at the time along the Western sections of Route 66. In the already high humidity of the South that cooler moved a great amount of air but did nothing to make make humans feel cooler. It was soon dismantled. Dad had found a really powerful electric motor somewhere and the thing sounded like a wind tunnel starting up but moving air was all it did. The same contraption would have been wonderful in Barstow or Yuma. Swamp coolers work good in deserts.

Unfortunately I donb't have any windows in our bedroom, only a big slidding glass door. That's why I'm hoping to find something that I don't have to vent. Thanks for the info though guys.

My experience is limited to Norther California, and the desert are of Oregon. swamp coolers also need air movement to bring new air into the space wanting to cool.They work by pusihg air past a matted material that is wet with water. If you only have a big sliding glass door, and keep it closed, the swamp cooler wont have anyplace to push the "cold" air into. When I worked with new seasonal people they would close all the windows and complain that the "air conditioning" was not working. Open a window, get airflow and cool air comes in ( from swamp cooler), room temp drops. Swamp coolers need a water source and electricity.

My understaning of most air conditioners cool mostly the existing air by running it past a cold surface and need things closed up. They need an exhaust for the heat byproduct of the action of the Freon condenser

Have any of you looked into these new "ductless" heating and cooling units? Mitsubishi claims as much as 40% savings over conventional fuel burning products.