Thread: My new seed starting setup.

Default My new seed starting setup.

Just completed this setup today in one of my spare bedrooms.
    Each shelf has two light fixtures.
    Two 32 watt t8 bulbs per fixture.
    I need to tidy up the cords a bit and hook up some timers.
    I do have them on surge protectors. 4 on one surge protector to one outlet and 4 to another on the other side.
    This will have room for 16-1020 flats.
    Should be more than enough space for me as of now.
    They hang on chains so I can easily adjust the height.
    All my seeds are in as well as all my trays, seed starting mix, fertilizer, etc.
    Getting excited for the 2020 gardening season!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That looks great. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I'm not a gardener but I want to ease my way in. I want to start with an herb garden. We have done a few plants outside in planters but I love coking with fresh herbs so I was planing on making something similar to your setup but smaller. Hopefully have herbs year around. Maybe under the grow lights in the off season and outside in the summer? One of the things I haven't figured out is lighting. The grow lights look pricey and I was thinking about just getting some shop lights like yours and get the right bulbs. What bulbs? LED, flourescent? Is there a special color or type? Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    That looks great. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I'm not a gardener but I want to ease my way in. I want to start with an herb garden. We have done a few plants outside in planters but I love coking with fresh herbs so I was planing on making something similar to your setup but smaller. Hopefully have herbs year around. Maybe under the grow lights in the off season and outside in the summer? One of the things I haven't figured out is lighting. The grow lights look pricey and I was thinking about just getting some shop lights like yours and get the right bulbs. What bulbs? LED, flourescent? Is there a special color or type? Thanks for any info.
    I got my idea for this from a YouTube "Homesteading" channel that I follow.
    They have some great videos on doing exactly as you described.
    When I get a chance I'll pm you links to them.
    If your on the Kenai Peninsula this summer if gladly give you a garden tour and a few pointers.

Cool, I just put together almost exactly the same set up! Kobuk - if you want to do herbs, you can get the same kind of fixtures as above at Lowes for about $18 each. I bought GE brand grow light bulbs for around $24 each. Each fixture requires 2 bulbs. My fixture and bulbs are 4' long. With just one 4' fixture, you could have a nice little herb garden. At Lowes they sell two different kinds of bulbs. The light spectrum determines what grows best, and there is a description on the bulb box that explains. For the bulbs I bought for starting seeds, they also work for green plants. You just raise or lower the light fixture depending on what you are growing.

My bulbs cost ~$2 each.
    No need for the expensive bulbs for starting plants.
    The daylight bulbs will work just fine.
    I have several other grow lights I've bought over the years.
    I'll use some of them when my Rhubarb I'm starting from seed gets bigger in a month or two but they're not needed for plant starts.

Thanks guys! I will do a little more looking and reading. I asked a local greenhouse a few weeks ago about plants and they didn't have any in yet. Not sure if I want to start from seed. Do you buy your seeds local or mail them in? Kasilof, I might take you up on your offer, we have a place down by Clam Gulch.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    Thanks guys! I will do a little more looking and reading. I asked a local greenhouse a few weeks ago about plants and they didn't have any in yet. Not sure if I want to start from seed. Do you buy your seeds local or mail them in? Kasilof, I might take you up on your offer, we have a place down by Clam Gulch.
    You really need to be careful when buying seed.
    Those big displays at the box stores come as a package either from the corporate office or the seed vendor.
    They're often full of varieties that do not grow well here if at all as they arrive as a standard display that gets sent to stores in every state.
    Buying plants from a local greenhouse is a great way to go. They usually only stock things that do well here. And are full of helpful advice and knowledge.
    Buy starts no sooner than a week or two before you intend to plant them.
    It's way too early now unless you have a heated greenhouse.
    An indoor herb garden is easy to grow from seed.
    And would be fine to start now. They quite likely need a grow light in the lowest light months.
    I order 95-100% of my seeds.
    That way I get the exact variety I want.
    You can grow corn here outside but only a very select variety. I grow the Yukon Chief that was developed by UAA to grow here.
    Other corn varieties take too long and will likely not produce fully developed ears.
    Some need higher soil temps just to germinate as well.
    Same with tomatoes and some other traditionally warmer weather crops.
    You need the right variety of tomatoes to even have a shot of producing fruit if grown outside.
    And some things like melons almost always need a greenhouse here in AK.
    Most Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli)do well some varities just produce better for me.
    Kale is an easy one here as well as potatoes, zucchinni and a few other things.
    I order most of my seed from Denali seed company.
    They grow their seed plants in Michigan but they sell things they know grow well here. They list in their descriptions which things grow outside in AK and which need a greenhouse.