Thread: Oil?

Default Oil?

It's time for an oil change, actually overdue, in my 450 Grizzly. I'm just kinda looking for an overall consensus on what you guys like? I'm assuming that the spendy Yamalube isn't actually necessary when the rig isn't under warranty anymore? Thanks
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like Mobil One synthetic 5w30 for ATV's, snowblowers, generators, and personal vehicles

Tried Royal Purple in our Honda P500. Burned like nobodyís business. Went back to the correct SAE automotive oil. No more burn. I donít know if thereís much benefit in high dollar oil for putt-putt engines in our ATVís. Maybe for the racing rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Tried Royal Purple in our Honda P500. Burned like nobodyís business.
    That's funny you say that. When I first bought my Jeep wrangler I used royal purple.....(I know an engineer that raved about the stuff). At first all was well, but within a short time it started using more oil than I thought it should. Meaning, it was burning at least a quart in 3k miles. Didn't think that was right for a new engine. Started using Mobil One and it still is hardly burning any oil. So do most of you guys use synthetics in your wheelers or is it a toss up?

The Yamaha machines take oil that has an additive for the inner wet clutch!!!

Donít throw just any oil in there.

For summer 10w40 is what is recommended to run. For winter use 5w30 or overall use year round.

Anchorage Yamaha/Polaris here in town sells the 5w30 now for like $7 a quart. There is only 10w40 in gallons right now and you should only need 2.8 quarts roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need the JASO MA certification for wet clutches. I use Shell Rotella T6 5W40, full synthetic. All mine are Hondaís...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    The Yamaha machines take oil that has an additive for the inner wet clutch!!!

Donít throw just any oil in there.

For summer 10w40 is what is recommended to run. For winter use 5w30 or overall use year round.

Anchorage Yamaha/Polaris here in town sells the 5w30 now for like $7 a quart. There is only 10w40 in gallons right now and you should only need 2.8 quarts roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I should go Yamaha next. The Polaris PS-4 synthetic oil is $12 a quart
    -Tim

You can buy the Shell Rotella Synthetic for $20-22 a gallon. So $5+ a quart for full synthetic. There isnít a better deal out there.

We run Mobil1 in our other rigs. Our Polaris takes PS-4 5-50, can't get it from Mobil. Polaris sends me a coupon for $10 off on their oil change kit, so $35.99-10= $25.99 for 2 qts and a filter. I always change out the oil drain plug washer and that was pretty spendy for what it is. Their parts people didn't know if there was one as no-one (including their mechanics) has ever asked for one.

No more than we ride ours the oil change kit from them won't put us in the poor(er) house.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    We run Mobil1 in our other rigs. Our Polaris takes PS-4 5-50, can't get it from Mobil. Polaris sends me a coupon for $10 off on their oil change kit, so $35.99-10= $25.99 for 2 qts and a filter. I always change out the oil drain plug washer and that was pretty spendy for what it is. Their parts people didn't know if there was one as no-one (including their mechanics) has ever asked for one.

No more than we ride ours the oil change kit from them won't put us in the poor(er) house.
    What qualifies you for the coupon? Part of a new buy deal? If you have an engine with an oil pressure relief valve plug, you should polish the dowel at oil changes.
    -Tim

I don't know. We bought the rig new last year and got a mail coupon within an offer for several Polaris goodies. I don't care much to work on stuff unless I can work in a fully equiped shop wearing white coveralls and not get dirty...hasn't worked out yet. I was going to have Hatcher Pass do the oil change for me as the unit was under warranty so I let the coupon slide. When I got closer to having enough time on the unit for the oil change I stopped by HP Wasilla on my way back from ANC where I'd just had the oil changed in our Tundra; that oil change in the PU cost $80 some. Hatcher Pass wanted $$$ to change the oil as part of a service package plus they wanted my ATV for 3 to 4 weeks, to be stored outside. I passed on that service. I got another oil coupon mailer and picked up the oil kit at HP near Nancy Lakes. I checked on them doing the oil change and got the same $$$ story as the main store; part of a service package and about a month wait with my ATV stored outside.

I hope another coupon comes soon. Still looking for the white coveralls.

Thanks for the tip on the dowel.

Tyvek coveralls are white.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Tyvek coveralls are white.
    They're great for sheep hunting too!!!

I wear white Tyvek coveralls when sneaking up on coyotes.

I run Amsoil ATV-UTV oil in my 2012 750 Grizzly and beat the heck out of it.

I worked as a Honda motorcycle mechanic for about 8yrs in the 70s. Any of your normal automotive engine oils will work fine. Synthetics do not thicken up as much as non synthetics in cold weather which makes cold cranking a little better. Oils don't break down as such but contaminates such as dirt, and unburned gas and carbon gets past rings and builds up in the oil over time. Oil filters don't get all the crud out of the oil so it needs to be changed over time. Contaminates are what cause most of the wear in engines. If you keep reasonably clean oil in your engine, it won't make much difference what brand it is. Do not put additives such as STP in anything with a wet clutch. If sitting for a long period of time such as over the winter it acts like glue on your clutch plates. Sometimes to the point of having to manually prying the plates apart. If you like synthetic oil, Walmart sells a brand x that is around $15 for 5 qts. I use it a lot. Also, your 4 wheelers, motorcycles and especially aircooled engines need better oil than cars because they are run a lot harder than cars and in a lot dirtier conditions than most cars. Cyl head temps on aircooled engines run at around 375 degrees which is just below the give up point of oil. Basically oil is oil, keep it clean and things will be fine.