Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RHAK, Preference Points, and Wyoming's proposed bill

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Ö.the world is a business.
    Unfortunately to it's detriment....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Jake, this really hit a nerve with me. We are Americans, yes, and we pledge alligiance to the flag and our country...but we are also Alaskans with states rights that allow us to benefit from being residents.

Article 8 of our state constituion declares that our wildlife resources are held in public trust for Alaskans, for their "maximum benefit" and "common use." Nonresidents ain't "entitled" to any of our wildlife resources according to federal and state laws, but we can and do let them particpate. And we should.

Given that Alaska is massively subsidized by the federal government, and because there are numerous court decisions that describe what a state can and cannot do as far as restricting non-resident actions, I don't think you can say that 'Nonresidents ain't entitled to any of our wildlife resources." That simply isn't true. You then go on to describe one of the strongest arguments for why nonresidents are entitled to some level of wildlife participation in Alaska via Pittman-Robertson funds. Nonresidents bring way more $$$ for wildlife to Alaska than residents do.

Now, I think the MBG requirement is bollocks. And I also think it is fair to state that the Kodiak bear and the draws like the Eagle River sheep tag are overly skewed to non-residents.

But I'd also wager that non-residents get way less than 10% of most drawing tags. In general, I think you'll never please everyone and overall Alaska does it better than any other state I've hunted and I've hunted quite a few of them.

I don't think we need to be exactly like other states.
    But if/when they start restricting AK residents hunting in their states even more why should AK not follow suit and do likewise?
    Why allow nonresidents significantly more access to our game animals then their state might allow us of theirs?
    Why sell our big game tags for less money than other states?
    And as Brian spoke of why allow them more access to our game animals, in some cases anyway, then we do our own residents?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    But if/when they start restricting AK residents hunting in their states even more why should AK not follow suit and do likewise?
    Why allow nonresidents significantly more access to our game animals then their state might allow us of theirs?
    And as Brian spoke of why allow them more access to our game animals, in some cases anyway, then we do our own residents?

You say you don't think we need to be like other states and then say if they're doing such and such to us, non residents not just from AK, why don't we do it to them too. Which would make AK just like them.

So which is it?....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Ya not sure if you read that. But it does sound like your saying be just like them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    You say you don't think we need to be like other states and then say if they're doing such and such to us, non residents not just from AK, why don't we do it to them too. Which would make AK just like them.

So which is it?....

I don't think we need to manage our fish and game like other states do.
    I don't think we should have the same regulations as other states do.
    I don't support a preference point system that other states have.
    But "IF" they are going to reduce our residents take in their states then maybe, in allocation only, we might consider doing the same?
    So really only in allocation regarding percentages allowed resident vs nonresident would we be like them.
    That and our tag fees need to be on par with other states.
    If AK charges a non resident $500 for a tag that goes for $1,000 for the same species in another state then are we not short changing ourselves?
    Not that we should match dollar for dollar but they should be somewhat close.
    Hopefully that all makes sense?

But "IF" they are going to reduce our residents take in their states then maybe, in allocation only, we might consider doing the same?
    So really only in allocation regarding percentages allowed resident vs nonresident would we be like them.
    If AK charges a non resident $500 for a tag that goes for $1,000 for the same species in another state then are we not short changing ourselves?
    You steal all of the red and orange starbursts out of the bag don't you.?

The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

A 500 dollar tag here. For a hunt thatís gonna cost the guy $5500 to do and a $1000 tag there thatís gonna cost me $2000 to do. And you think we should charge the same tag fees? Alaska is unique. Comparing costs fees figures and whatever else to states in America just doesnít work.
    Master guide 212

A 500 dollar tag here. For a hunt thatís gonna cost the guy $5500 to do and a $1000 tag there thatís gonna cost me $2000 to do. And you think we should charge the same tag fees? Alaska is unique. Comparing costs fees figures and whatever else to states in America just doesnít work.
    Why does it matter to the ADF&G budget the money someone spends to complete the rest of their hunt?
    If the average black bear tag in the Western States goes for $340 you believe we should only charge $250 or $300 because it cost more for the rest of the hunt?
    Are you saying our game tags should be discounted because our state cost more to hunt in?
    That ADF&G should receive less funding from our nonresident tags because the rest of the hunt costs more?
    I feel that if anything, especially in the hard to get species tags, we should charge a premium.
    Especially considering the odds of being able to hunt sheep,goats, caribou etc anywhere in the lower 48.

Why does it matter to the ADF&G budget the money someone spends to complete the rest of their hunt?
    If the average black bear tag in the Western States goes for $340 you believe we should only charge $250 or $300 because it cost more for the rest of the hunt?
    Are you saying our game tags should be discounted because our state cost more to hunt in?
    That ADF&G should receive less funding from our nonresident tags because the rest of the hunt costs more?
    I feel that if anything, especially in the hard to get species tags, we should charge a premium.
    Especially considering the odds of being able to hunt sheep,goats, caribou etc anywhere in the lower 48.

So you say charge a premium. Mark says make it cheaper so more people can afford it. Iím saying make it affordable so people will do it. If theyíll pay 700 bucks for the black bear tag I donít care. I sure as heck wouldnít.
    But if your over priced and our tag is 340 and the tag in Idaho is 340. Guess where the bear hunters are going. Idaho. Cheaper everything. No incentive to come up here and spend double what it would cost down there.
    Master guide 212

So you say charge a premium. Mark says make it cheaper so more people can afford it. Iím saying make it affordable so people will do it. If theyíll pay 700 bucks for the black bear tag I donít care. I sure as heck wouldnít.
    But if your over priced and our tag is 340 and the tag in Idaho is 340. Guess where the bear hunters are going. Idaho. Cheaper everything. No incentive to come up here and spend double what it would cost down there.
    It's cheaper to vacation in Idaho as well.
    Yet we still see that massive influx of tourists each summer.
    I wonder why that is?
    By the way what's the cost of an Idaho Caribou tag?lol
    Besides if the hunt costs $3,000 more is selling the tag $100 cheaper going to sway their budget enough to make a difference?

It's cheaper to vacation in Idaho as well.
    Yet we still see that massive influx of tourists each summer.
    I wonder why that is?
    By the way what's the cost of an Idaho Caribou tag?lol
    Besides if the hunt costs $3,000 more is selling the tag $100 cheaper going to sway their budget enough to make a difference?
    Now your talking like a guide!!! Lol
    Master guide 212

More critters will make more tags, how many people leave the kenai to moose hunt somewhere else.
    Locals leave the old moose refuge to hunt moose where they have a more likely chance of getting a legal animal.
    We should be crawling with moose not waiting for this recent burn to help populations. Mismanagement at its finest and you expect a lottery to be better?
    Not saying that there are no legal bulls in unit 15 but itís not like it could be, or trying to change the thread, just one example.

I like grape soda pop and French fry taters..

Alaska is unique. I just shot two mountain goats on otc tags. No where else in the world(?) can that be done? In February even!
    Love you Jake and your approach to guiding. But I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

That goat hunt you just went on, sounded pretty easy. In fact easier than most DIY moose hunts Supposedly it's a safety issue. But I saw nothing inherently risky about that hunt. In fact any Kodiak goat hunt has no more risk than a Kodiak deer hunt or caribou hunt or elk hunt.

So why should a non resident be forced to hire a guide for a hunt like that?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    That goat hunt you just went on, sounded pretty easy. In fact easier than most DIY moose hunts Supposedly it's a safety issue. But I saw nothing inherently risky about that hunt. In fact any Kodiak goat hunt has no more risk than a Kodiak deer hunt or caribou hunt or elk hunt.

So why should a non resident be forced to hire a guide for a hunt like that?
    I can appreciate devils advocate point of view. Couple things. The goats we shot sounded easy. Well. Yes. Compared to any other goat hunt they were. Why were they easy? Well because 22 years of mountian hunting makes a guy smarter and more selective with where how and when he pulls the trigger. There were goats I coulda put the ice cleats on, had someone on avalanche watch with me, and rappelled them off the cliffs in three feet of snow with 45 mile an hour winds with severe hypothermic conditions. Those options are there. I just was more selective with how I did things because my wife was with me and sheís a new hunter. Sheís not prepared or experienced enough to attempt
    The majority of the goats we saw ask jeff how many goats his clients shoot that are beach droppers....May get a better feel for whatís normal.
    I watched a pilot fly once. Looked easy. I thought why do you need a license to do this??

To say Kodiak goats arenít any more dangerous than a deer
    Or caribou hunt is awfully ignorant in my opinion. Thereís some goat country on Kodiak that Will kill you dead so fast itís not even funny. I never said it was a safety issue I donít believe either. Experience in the mountains will save your life.

Part of this issue is no one is forcing a non resident to hire a guide. If they WANT to hunt a goat a guide is required. No one is forcing them to do anything. If I want a plane ride am I forced to hire a pilot? Or get my own license, pay the money do the time get the experience. Or skip the plane ride because Iím not in a position to afford that luxury. Am I forced
    To buy car insurance? I could just avoid driving? But thatís not reasonable. So I buy a vehicle that I can afford the insurance on. I donít expect someone to change the rules to accommodate my financial situation for enjoying a opportunity.

No matter how it sliced served or prepared we all like our steak different. And opinions on this issue will change about when my religion changes from a door to door evangelist. Point of view is just that. My point of
    View comes from 43 years as a resident and 22 years as a guide. I see aspects of this others man not see or think about due to lack of inside experience. Iím not saying one way is right and the other wrong. What Iím saying (at least I think what Iím saying) is that thinking of making the changes I see here will not produce the desired results. Even though no one can really tell me what the desired result is.
    Master guide 212

Jake Jefferson for Lt. Governor....lol
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

The desired result is in the article linked by the OP.
    It stated the goal was more tags for resident hunters and less tags for non resident hunters in Wyoming.
    Apparently this was to satisfy growing demand by Wyoming residents for more resident tags by reducing nonresident tags.
    It didn't pass in Wyoming but it raises the question about how Alaskan hunters feel about allocation issues and the number of tags given to residents vs nonresidents here as well.

So
    How many tags for residents get?
    And how many tags do non resident get?

And does tag mean hunting opportunity or just a drawn tag? Because we donít even need a tag
    For some things.

Maybe weíll know more wend. RHAK is as much the voice of the resident hunter as APHA is the voice of the guides. And both are deciding the fate of those they do not represent.
    Master guide 212

Sometime I like to add Texas Pete to my pork rinds oh man!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast