Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Susitna River Dipnet Fishery

Default New Susitna River Dipnet Fishery

Looks like the BOF is um, dipping a toe in:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Di...902t4R5Exi0B8Q
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I'm all for this one!
    We've been needing a way to alleviate some of the congestion on the Kenai Peninsula the last few years.
    It's gotten so bad that some of my friends who live in Kenai and own legal riverboats don't even go anymore due to the crowds, rude disrespectful people, poor boat handling skills etc.
    Maybe there's a way they can stock some fish up there just for this fishery to expand it a little in the future?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I'm all for this one!
    You and me both!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

While I am all for reducing the congestion and craziness of the kenai dipnet fishery, this new p/u ( or mybe pu) fishery show, just how unfair and incompetent this board is. They curtail the kodiak seine fleet from fishing off the capes,and limit the uci drift fleet from their so called conservation corridor out of concern for northern district salmon escapements, and then open a brand new dipnet fishery on the very stocks they were concerned enough about to limit those two fisheries. Stupid is as stupid does. Thank you mr. Penny.

Boat access only. Well, I've been looking for a reason to get a river boat.
    -Tim

Can only fish Wednesdays and Saturdays I wouldn't hope that the kenai will be free of the crazies yet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Can only fish Wednesdays and Saturdays I wouldn't hope that the kenai will be free of the crazies yet.
    Oh for sure it won't. It will take a lot more than another dipnet fishery opening up to do that. BUT....every little bit helps!....lol.

Personally I believe that one of the big problems on the Kenai is river bank access for people that actually want to wet a line. I'm sure there are lots of folks like myself that would rather fish for their salmon than dipnet for them. My kids and I can catch all the fish we need for the winter via rod and reel. But, for a long time, I said I didn't need a boat to get my fish, and I didn't. Really didn't want any part of that sh*t show out on the river. But now, seeing that every other fisherman has to pretty much combat fish in "prescribed" areas, I finally had to break down and get a legal boat for the Kenai. I know that many just like to get their fish for the year in a couple outings and be done with it, thus are the dipnetters. But for many being out on the river is a real pleasure. I know I'd be out there with a rod in my hand everyday of the summer if I could. But many don't want to combat fish either, so they just decide to dipnet instead.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Shoulder to shoulder fishing does suck. I use to fish at night and wouldn't have to deal with it. Little tougher to do that with a family so we try to ge our reds other ways then the kenai.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I doubt this will relieve pressure on the Kenai. A lot of people I talk to at Fish creek are there because it's close by or in my case, dip the Kenai anyway because the fish are superior
    -Tim

I wonder if this fishery will be listed in conjunction with our other dipnet fisheries in South Central as far as limits and such?
    Or will it be a stand alone with additional limits not including what you get elsewhere?
    I didn't see anything about it in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I wonder if this fishery will be listed in conjunction with our other dipnet fisheries in South Central as far as limits and such?
    Or will it be a stand alone with additional limits not including what you get elsewhere?
    I didn't see anything about it in the article.

PROPOSAL 234
    5 AAC 77.540. Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Salmon Fishery Management Plan. Create a personal use salmon fishery on the Susitna River, as follows:
    5 AAC 77.540. Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Salmon Fishery Management Plan.
    (h) In the Susitna River, salmon may be taken by dip net only as follows:
    (1) from July 10th through August 15th, Wednesday 6:00 am to 11:00 pm, Saturday 6:00 am to 11:00 pm, and Sunday 6:00 am to 11:00 pm
    (2) from a boat or from shore between ADF&G regulatory marker located 1 mile downstream from Susitna Station to Bell Island/Alexander Creek cutoff ADF&G regulatory marker.
    (3) the annual limit is as specified in 5 AAC 77.525, except that no king salmon may be retained and any king salmon caught must be returned to the water unharmed. Northern pike caught must be retained.
    (4) a permit holder for this fishery shall report to the department as specified in permit conditions, the department may alter, time, area, species retained and limits based on salmon abundance.
    (5) When the department projects that both sockeye and coho abundance will be above the midpoint of all 4 escapement goals: Larson, Judd, Chelatna Lake and Deshka River the commissioner may extend, by emergency order, the personal use fishery through August 31st
    What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? Provide Alaskan residents an opportunity to harvest chum, sockeye, coho, and pink salmon in the Susitna River. Residents of the Mat-Su Valley would like the option of a PU fishery on the Susitna River and not having to travel hundreds of miles away to the Kenai or Copper Rivers. The most recent ADFG abundance estimates indicate there are inriver fish to harvest. Recent abundance and harvest of these stocks indicate to us there is a harvestable surplus of salmon inriver and a limited PU fishery is warranted. If there is not a harvestable surplus of salmon in river then the BOF needs to shift the allocations slightly and direct the commercial fishery to share in the harvest (or lack of harvest) with other users and uses.
    PROPOSED BY: Matanuska Valley Fish and Game Advisory Committee (HQ-F19-040)
    ************************************************** ****************************
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks.
    Made me look up that administrative code.
    Doesn't completely answer my question but some of it anyway.

5 AAC 77.525. Personal use salmon fishery

(a) Only one personal use salmon fishing permit may be issued to each household per year.

(b) Repealed 7/21/91.

(c) In the personal use taking of salmon, unless otherwise specified in 5 AAC 77.500 - 5 AAC 77.548, the total annual limit for each personal use salmon fishing permit is 25 salmon for the head of a household and 10 salmon for each dependent of the permit holder.

(d) Notwithstanding any provision in 5 AAC 01 - 77, in the Cook Inlet Area, a person may possess sport-caught and personal-use caught salmon on the same day.

History: Eff. 6/20/82, Register 82; am 6/30/83, Register 86; am 7/1/86, Register 99; em am 4/30/91 - 5/30/91, Register 118 [not printed]; am 7/21/91, Register 119; am 6/22/2002, Register 162

Authority: AS 16.05.251

Seems like it should be included in the upper cook inlet limit.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Seems like it should be included in the upper cook inlet limit.
    That's what I was thinking.
    As it stands you could legally harvest a limit from this fishery as well as the copper and the Kenai/Kasilof fisheries.
    Not very many people would do that but still surprised they made it possible.

PWS fish, UCI fish, different management plans I guess
    -Tim

where does the UCI start, anchor point?

As far as Personal Use goes, Kasilof...

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is Cook Inlet has Upper and Lower management areas, the Upper is north of Anchor Point. Lower Cook Inlet is everything else north of the latitude at Cape Douglas and west of the longitude of Cape Fairfield (this includes Res Bay).

UCI map:
    https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/f...s_Sections.pdf

LCI maps:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...bdistricts.pdf
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Question

Anyone have a map of this new dipnet fishery on the Susitna?

Kinda know where Susitna Station is, so it begins one mile downstream from there.
    But, not familiar with the Bell Island/Alexander Creek cutoff ADF&G regulatory marker?

Or could someone create an un-official map using their river knowledge & computer skills?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Fish and Game has to develop exactly where the Fishery will occur and the exact dates. About an hour down river from Deshka Landing, above Bell Island. F&G will put markers up so you know where to Fish in between. Kinda parallel to Flat Horn Lake. Here is the RC from the meeting

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...e_prop_234.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast