Thread: Remington Ammunition ?

Default Remington Ammunition ?

Just bought a couple boxes of Remington 45/70 ammo for a new 1886 rifle and noticed there is what looks and feels like a serrated ring around the brass right at the base of the bullet. The only reason I bought the ammo was because I couldnt find any brass.

Couple of questions: Why do they put that ring there, and does it weakens the brass for reloading? I can feel the ring is etched into the brass and it is quite prominent.

I believe that that ring is there to help keep the bullet from pushing in farther into the case. Most 45/70s feed from a tube magazine and that is a lot of weight stacked on top of each other under recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I believe that that ring is there to help keep the bullet from pushing in farther into the case. Most 45/70s feed from a tube magazine and that is a lot of weight stacked on top of each other under recoil.
    Makes total sense thanks

Many larger calibers generating more recoil are roll crimped. This means rolling the front edge of the case over into a grove called a cannelure in the bullet. The front edge of the case digs into the bullet helping to keep the bullet in place. The ring is not at the base of the bullet. There is more bullet sticking into the case.
    Attachment 98680

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The ring is not at the base of the bullet.
    Out of curiosity I googled up an image of a Remington 45/70 load, and they are in fact putting a cannelure in the case below the base of the bullet.

It's a logical conclusion that such will weaken the brass for reloading...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Yes, the heavy crimp is molding to the cannelure. Most levergun shooters use the Lee fcd to achieve proper bullet tension in a tubular magazine.

Like this? Here?

Patriot Life Member NRA

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Keeps the bullet from slipping to far into the case. Some cases have them, some don't. On the box it says, "Full Pressure Load." I am sure for "modern" firearms and not your 1800's trap door Springfield.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Yes the ring in the picture is exactly what i was referring too. Sure seems like it would weaken the brass. Feeling it with a fingernail it seems to be etched in pretty good. Guess I should have bought another brand for reloading.

That is probably a weak spot but it's at a spot that won't make much difference for reloading. The case mouth will probably split before the cannelure gives any problems.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    That is probably a weak spot but it's at a spot that won't make much difference for reloading. The case mouth will probably split before the cannelure gives any problems.
    YES.. I've loaded lots of 38 and 357, and I believe, 44 mag cases that had that 2nd crimp. No problem. I've seen it on all kinds of handgun cartridges, including 380.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've seen this on quite a few straight walled cartridges...doesn't really cause any issues at the chamber pressures most straight walled cases operate at.

While it could provide a potential spot to fail after a bunch of reloads...the case mouth or the primer pocket will go long before it does.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think it is a good idea for a 45-70 even though I don't do it. I wonder what die Remington uses to do that second crimp, any body know?

Also a big fan of Lee Factory Crimp Dies and use them for my straight walled cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I think it is a good idea for a 45-70 even though I don't do it. I wonder what die Remington uses to do that second crimp, any body know?

Also a big fan of Lee Factory Crimp Dies and use them for my straight walled cartridges.
    It's not a 'crimp' in the traditional sense. It's just a cannelure rolled into the brass to serve as a ledger stop at the base of the bullet. It could be embossed in the brass when the case is formed or after the bullet is seated.