Thread: Cost for terrain vehicles and snowmobile

Default Cost for terrain vehicles and snowmobile

Preparing for our move to Alaska, we are just looking for opinions about the cost of certain items;
    Can some of you give the price you´d be looking at to buy a snowmachine (snowmobile) and a smaller sized terrain vehicle?
    We would be buying new, not used. Rough costs would be nice as we realize it depends on a few things.
    The terrain vehicle would not be used in winter, mainly for gravel/dirt path on property. Not used a lot, just when necessary.
    Thanks.

It would help if you listed size of terrain vehicle (is this an ATV or a side by side?), engine you are looking at, brands, towing and payload rating, etc. Regarding snowmobile's (snowmachine's here)- do you want a trail machine, utility machine, mountain machine, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, wide track, super wide track, long track, size lugs, etc. So much to be considered. There are many great brands and models of ATV/SXS and snowmachine's and personally I don't think that cheapest is always best (I would not buy an off brand). Let us know more or less what you are looking for and we can help out.

Once you decide on make/model- I suggest emailing the dealerships and see what they can do for you. Many times if you are planning to buy multiple machines, they will reduce costs, and one dealer up here does not charge for installations of purchased accessories which can add up drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    It would help if you listed size of terrain vehicle (is this an ATV or a side by side?), engine you are looking at, brands, towing and payload rating, etc. Regarding snowmobile's (snowmachine's here)- do you want a trail machine, utility machine, mountain machine, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, wide track, super wide track, long track, size lugs, etc. So much to be considered. There are many great brands and models of ATV/SXS and snowmachine's and personally I don't think that cheapest is always best (I would not buy an off brand). Let us know more or less what you are looking for and we can help out.

Once you decide on make/model- I suggest emailing the dealerships and see what they can do for you. Many times if you are planning to buy multiple machines, they will reduce costs, and one dealer up here does not charge for installations of purchased accessories which can add up drastically.

^^^ This. Would double-ditto the point about buying multiple machines from the same dealer: from direct personal experience, it works whether the machines are multiple sno-gos or if it's a combo of sno-go and ATV.

For a plug number, if you budget $10,000 each for the sno-go and ATV, you'll probably be in the ball park: Easy to spend more on a high-spec Side-x-Side, noticeably less on an ATV and either more or less on a sno-go depending on your preferences.

As the others have noted, there's a pretty big range. I bought my two most recent new snowmachines for $6,500 and $7,500 respectively, but they were both prior year models and relatively low power fan-cooled engines. On the other side, a family member recently bought a heavy duty 4-stroke utility (towing) machine for $13-14,000.

For ATVs you can get a totally decent four wheeler for somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7k, but if you want more power, a 6x6 (my preference) or a side-by-side, that cost can climb significantly.

The best time to buy a snowmachine is at the end of a bad snow year. Of course, one can't plan on that.

You did not say where you are moving too. The best advice I got back in 98 as I was planning on moving here was(I was going to a bush community): Wait until you get there and see what everyone else has. There is a reason why they are driving what they are. Also, if you buy what everyone else has, someone has probably already broke it and knows how to fix it. Someone may already have the part.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Thanks everyone. It was hard for me to be specific as we never had one of either, just looked in google at prices. The info helped.
    Great idea about getting one people are familiar with so if we need repairs, someone could do it.
    We do not yet know where we will settle down in. Although we have 5 places on the top of our list (due to personal reasons), we are starting the move with a 4-6 week drive in a circle through Alaska (kind of). Whichever place suits us best is the place we will choose and then we´ll rent place for 6-12 months and then if we like it there, stay, and if not, maybe try another town.It won´t be in the bush, though, places like Tok, Healy, Valdez, Glenn Allen (only here because it seemed the land was so cheap compared to other places) , Soldotna, etc I guess we´re driving through around 100 places all in all...

Quote Originally Posted by flopitdown View Post
    It won´t be in the bush, though, places like Tok, Healy, Valdez, Glenn Allen (only here because it seemed the land was so cheap compared to other places) , Soldotna, etc I guess we´re driving through around 100 places all in all...
    Valdez is the most beautiful of the places. Although finding property here and places for sale are tough. When someone moves their place is usually sold by word-of-mouth pretty quickly.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by flopitdown View Post
    Thanks everyone. It was hard for me to be specific as we never had one of either, just looked in google at prices. The info helped.
    Great idea about getting one people are familiar with so if we need repairs, someone could do it.
    We do not yet know where we will settle down in. Although we have 5 places on the top of our list (due to personal reasons), we are starting the move with a 4-6 week drive in a circle through Alaska (kind of). Whichever place suits us best is the place we will choose and then we´ll rent place for 6-12 months and then if we like it there, stay, and if not, maybe try another town.It won´t be in the bush, though, places like Tok, Healy, Valdez, Glenn Allen (only here because it seemed the land was so cheap compared to other places) , Soldotna, etc I guess we´re driving through around 100 places all in all...
    Tok, Healy, Valdez, glenallen....whew you might be in for quite the culture shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Valdez is the most beautiful of the places. Although finding property here and places for sale are tough. When someone moves their place is usually sold by word-of-mouth pretty quickly.
    Valdez is unlikely, but we´ve been told the drive there is beautiful. We look forward to that so much.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Tok, Healy, Valdez, glenallen....whew you might be in for quite the culture shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And that is part of the fun and part of life for me. I grew up in New Jersey, lived in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Virginia, then moved to Europe and lived in Estonia, Italy and now Austria. Although even I expect Alaska to be different than all of those countries, that has always been my personal final destination at the end of the road (I guess you can say it like that). And worse case scenario, I hate it, so be it. Then I come back to Austria. Although I know myself pretty good, once I get there I know what´s going to happen; hard choice as to decide where we should settle down in, then settle down for good. I´m not a guy who knows everything, but I just know me