Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Putting up a dry cabin to rent

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    If you are going to be building during the summer, when it's fishing season, you might want to reconsider. Most locals are getting their food for the winter. I tried to get an estimate once for pouring my slab for future construction, I couldn't even get someone to come out and give me a bid till after fishing season. You need to arrange work or workers well in advance as the construction season is very short. You have frozen ground in the spring and have to be flexible on your time frame.

    Thanks for the advice. We will be there 1 year before we have it built, so I guess we´ll start asking right away.

  2. #22
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    I have a friend who does this sort of thing.
    He's pretty good at it and has all the tools.
    He charges $35+ an hour iirc.
    I once asked him why he doesn't get licensed, bonded, insured.
    He said if he did that his rates would be $100+ an hour.
    So if you do find a local to help you be aware of the fact you may not have legal recourse if the place isn't built correctly as your builder will not be licensed, bonded, or insured for this kind of work.
    If they do shoddy work that needs fixed later that's likely going to be on you to pay for.

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have a friend who does this sort of thing.
    He's pretty good at it and has all the tools.
    He charges $35+ an hour iirc.
    I once asked him why he doesn't get licensed, bonded, insured.
    He said if he did that his rates would be $100+ an hour.
    So if you do find a local to help you be aware of the fact you may not have legal recourse if the place isn't built correctly as your builder will not be licensed, bonded, or insured for this kind of work.
    If they do shoddy work that needs fixed later that's likely going to be on you to pay for.

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

    Thanks, understand

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    You might give Spenards Building Supply a call about their cabin kits. They talk about them on their site but I didn't see any details.

    Building season is VERY short here. The grounds can be frozen, roads not usable, etc. People will agree to do something and then a better job comes along and your project is forgotten about or put off.

    I've met some of the nicest, smartest, and hardest working people in Alaska. I've also met people at the other end.

    Good luck!

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    You might give Spenards Building Supply a call about their cabin kits. They talk about them on their site but I didn't see any details.

    Building season is VERY short here. The grounds can be frozen, roads not usable, etc. People will agree to do something and then a better job comes along and your project is forgotten about or put off.

    I've met some of the nicest, smartest, and hardest working people in Alaska. I've also met people at the other end.

    Good luck!

    Thanks, I also considered cabin kits, would still get someone locally to help, if nothing more than to get to know some locals and get their opinions about the area or advice on where to go to see what we want to see.

  6. #26
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have a friend who does this sort of thing.
    He's pretty good at it and has all the tools.
    He charges $35+ an hour iirc.
    I once asked him why he doesn't get licensed, bonded, insured.
    He said if he did that his rates would be $100+ an hour.
    So if you do find a local to help you be aware of the fact you may not have legal recourse if the place isn't built correctly as your builder will not be licensed, bonded, or insured for this kind of work.
    If they do shoddy work that needs fixed later that's likely going to be on you to pay for.

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    Your friend's full of it...my license, bond and insurance for the year ran about $1000....at $40/hr, I make that back in three days, and not only is my butt covered if something happens, I have legal recourse if a customer tries to stiff me, which your friend does not...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  7. #27
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Your friend's full of it...my license, bond and insurance for the year ran about $1000....at $40/hr, I make that back in three days, and not only is my butt covered if something happens, I have legal recourse if a customer tries to stiff me, which your friend does not...
    Well I'm not in the carpentry business so I have no first hand experience.
    Just going by what he told me when I asked.
    He's been making a living doing this for over 20 years that I know of.
    I'm sure he's priced it out before for his personal situation. Your situation may be different somehow.
    But I'm not going to debate this with you as I honestly don't know the details.
    I will mention this to him next time I see him and see what he has to say.
    But either way a local neighbor that the op is looking for is often not licensed, bonded, or insured for this. That was/is my main point.

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  8. #28
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    Your main point is not wrong...I was an under-the-table contractor for nearly as long, before I decided to get legit...business skills are usually not something that comes easy to wandering carpenter types, and I am no exception...hopefully the OP will comply with all relevant state laws when he arrives, whether pertaining to labor, hunting/fishing, etc....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Your main point is not wrong...I was an under-the-table contractor for nearly as long, before I decided to get legit...business skills are usually not something that comes easy to wandering carpenter types, and I am no exception...hopefully the OP will comply with all relevant state laws when he arrives, whether pertaining to labor, hunting/fishing, etc....

    Sorry if I gave the impression I intend to move to Alaska and break any state laws regarding building a cabin, hunting or fishing or anything else. That was not my intention. I was just asking about building a cabin on my land and renting it to tourist to find out information before we get there because we have fun making plans, and we find it important to have at least some plans/ideas instead of just showing up clueless about everything. If we pay a neighbor to build a cabin, I did not see how that is illegal. If he does not pay taxes, whether he is a company or private, hopefully that´s not my responsibility (to make sure everyone who does something for me reports what I pay them).
    I never mentioned hunting or fishing, we´re not moving to Alaska for this. We do not hunt, we have no interest in this. I have nothing against hunters, as long as they eat the food or donate it to homeless shelters, but we are not moving to Alaska to kill what we want to be around. Even if someone just kills for fun, that´s their business, not mine.
    I don´t eat seafood, which I will feel weird saying when we are in Alaska. I never liked the flavor. Maybe I´d go fishing with friends (once I have some), and give what I catch to them to eat. But I don´t have any intentions of breaking fishing laws just to be a rebel.
    All in all, sorry if I somehow gave the impression I don´t care about laws or anything and will do what I want regardless what anyone says.

  10. #30
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    You did not give that impression, fella....and this is mainly a hunting/fishing website, lol....the state laws pertaining to licensed contractors have been getting tightened up in recent years, mainly due to crap like this:

    https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...d-contractors/

    ...bottom line is, if you hire an independent contractor, and they don't possess a professional license from the state, they are breaking the law. If you hire an employee, and you don't withhold taxes or report their income to the federal government, you are breaking the law...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    You did not give that impression, fella....and this is mainly a hunting/fishing website, lol....the state laws pertaining to licensed contractors have been getting tightened up in recent years, mainly due to crap like this:

    https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...d-contractors/

    ...bottom line is, if you hire an independent contractor, and they don't possess a professional license from the state, they are breaking the law. If you hire an employee, and you don't withhold taxes or report their income to the federal government, you are breaking the law...

    Okay, I understand, and thanks for the article.
    We´ll make sure we´re doing the right thing when we´re there
    Thanks.

  12. #32
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    You did not give that impression, fella....and this is mainly a hunting/fishing website, lol....the state laws pertaining to licensed contractors have been getting tightened up in recent years, mainly due to crap like this:

    https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...d-contractors/

    ...bottom line is, if you hire an independent contractor, and they don't possess a professional license from the state, they are breaking the law. If you hire an employee, and you don't withhold taxes or report their income to the federal government, you are breaking the law...
    Reading that would certainly make me want to hire a professional for any build somebody's going to live in.
    Certainly not someone like the guy in the article who says he's built a bunch of cabins before but then leaves you with a mess to tear down and start over.
    I've always liked this Red Addair quote:

    "If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.”

    There are some good builders out there with and without professional licensing etc.
    I know some of each.
    Some I trust and respect their work.
    Some I wouldn't trust to build me a doghouse!
    I know a guy who tried doing remodel and handyman work like my buddy does.
    He has failed miserably. Partially due to his attitude and partially to lack of building skills and knowledge.
    I've stayed at a local place where they rent small cabins.
    The owners husband built the cabins and she manages things cleans them etc.
    It's probably good retirement money for them.
    They're in a decent location and built things right and have really thought of everything in their setup.
    So I know it can be done!

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #33
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    There are some good builders out there with and without professional licensing etc.
    I know some of each.
    Some I trust and respect their work.
    Some I wouldn't trust to build me a doghouse!
    Amen.


    .....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •