Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for non-residents driving the haul road

Default Options for non-residents driving the haul road

Hey guys,

I have a friend of a friend who is wanting to come up to Alaska to do a fly-out fishing trip. I'm not looking for names of pilots, places or rivers to go. I already have a few ideas in mind for him to try, but what I'm not sure about is how non-residents access the haul road (or Dalton highway). I've driven it many times myself and I'm familiar with all the locations, rivers etc. So just to be clear, I'm not soliciting advice on where to go. I'm just asking how a non-resident can travel up there. In other words, what are his options? Can he rent a car and go up there? I've heard that many rental places don't rent to people traveling the haul road because of the rough conditions. What are some other things people have done in the past. I know non-residents go up there to go hunting and fishing because I've seen the stories and pictures on this forum. I'm just not sure how they traveled up there. Thanks for the tips.

I really appreciate the help.

Seen folks up there in U-haul pickups quite a few times.

Never used this outfit, so can’t comment on their service directly, but it looks like exactly the right option.

http://www.arctic-outfitters.com/dalton

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post

"Customer assumes all responsibility for Uhaul equipment (including mechanical,body and glass) when they travel on the following highways: Steese Hwy north, Elliot Hwy, Dalton Hwy, Denali Hwy, Taylor Hwy, Edgerton Hwy, Cassiar Hwy, Campbell Hwy, and Dempster Hwy. Uhaul does not provide any roadside services on theses roadways"

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Never used this outfit, so can’t comment on their service directly, but it looks like exactly the right option.

http://www.arctic-outfitters.com/dalton
    Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    "Customer assumes all responsibility for Uhaul equipment (including mechanical,body and glass) when they travel on the following highways: Steese Hwy north, Elliot Hwy, Dalton Hwy, Denali Hwy, Taylor Hwy, Edgerton Hwy, Cassiar Hwy, Campbell Hwy, and Dempster Hwy. Uhaul does not provide any roadside services on theses roadways"
    Thanks guys, already sent all this useful information over to my friend. I knew I could count on the AOD community for help!

Or he could rent a vehicle for you and borrow yours to take up north. !!😂

Years ago we tried to rent a car to drive the Denali Hwy and were told by all that we tried that we could not drive their cars off the pavement. We found a used car lot (don't remember which one) that also rents their cars in Anchorage.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Or he could rent a vehicle for you and borrow yours to take up north. !!
    I used to buy the occasional vehicle from oil field service companies and keep them around for my visitors in the summer so they wouldn't need to borrow mine. I'd keep them for a while and then sell them. Usually for a profit.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Try

airport equipment rental, i think they rent pickups.

Having a vehicle is one thing. Knowing what you are getting into is another. There is a search feature on the upper right of the window. Type in "Haul" or "Dalton". Lots of posts and information. Just a little: I take water and 2-3 extra 5-gallon cans of fuel. I only run E rated tires. Tire plugs, the large cans of fix-a-flat, super glue, plastic bag and razor blade for the windshield cracks, tools, extra food, radiator sealant, tow strap…… You might be getting the picture. The run can get interesting for sure. I have never really had a problem but have seen others on the side of the road with tires looking for a ride south. Trailers left on the road edge with frames bent. Another item to consider too is the Alaska Mile Post. I actually ran into one of the original authors on a trip up there one year. She, had a huge truck camper and was re-writing that section. Her husband had died, she sold the business and wanted to do the trip and the re-write for the new owner. Good for her.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Years ago we tried to rent a car to drive the Denali Hwy and were told by all that we tried that we could not drive their cars off the pavement. We found a used car lot (don't remember which one) that also rents their cars in Anchorage.
    I think all major car rental services have as part of their rental agreement that their vehicles aren't to be driven on dirt roads. I have it on good authority that their vehicles will drive on dirt roads, not saying I've ever done it, but they can be driven on dirt roads. Maybe one of these days they will install a GPS tracker that makes their vehicles completely incapable of driving on dirt...maybe they have that ability now, but last year they didn't have that feature.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    I think all major car rental services have as part of their rental agreement that their vehicles aren't to be driven on dirt roads. I have it on good authority that their vehicles will drive on dirt roads, not saying I've ever done it, but they can be driven on dirt roads. Maybe one of these days they will install a GPS tracker that makes their vehicles completely incapable of driving on dirt...maybe they have that ability now, but last year they didn't have that feature.
    That would never fly around here since 95% of the Borough roads are gravel. Not to mention all the gravel we have during construction season.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Doesn't make sense. Many roads around North Pole, Delta, driveways... are gravel. They just don't want you on the "listed" roads. Try calling Hertz because your transmission went out 30 miles south of Dead Horse or at McLaren River. Your on your own.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Of course you can drive a rental car on a dirt road. All the rental car agreement has to do with is a damage waiver, if you break their property while in violation of the agreement then it's on you even and especially if you paid the extra money for their insurance. It's a line in a contract that you sign saying you will accept the responsibility for their property. You can drive a rental car wherever you want, but if you break it you get to pay to fix it.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Maybe I’m a rebel. I have rented from thrifty, uhaul, hertz and a couple of the smaller mom and pop operations. Most of my miles are on legit paved roads. But. I have driven all of them from Cantwell to Paxson or reverse. I have had 3 of them stuck up to the axles in the bog at my property. They will go where you point them. You need to understand your liability if you damage something, OR, if something just happens to go sideways while you are renting it. I always take extra gas, tires, food, shelter, all that stuff. I may not be the most responsible renter but I do not jeopardize my safety. Can it be done, sure. Are you wise to do so, probably not. Will I do it again, first chance I get.
    Nick Clegg
    Husband, Father, Hunter,
    Usually in that order
    http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Give Delta Leasing a call and ask them about rentals. They have offices in Anchorage, Fbnks, and up here in Deadhorse. 90% of the rental fleet up here is through them. They don't seem to mind renting trucks out AND will recover trucks (if need be) down on the haul road.

Brice equipment also rents trucks out of Deadhorse and I am pretty sure they rent them out of their Fairbanks location too. I don't know about their recovery service, but it seems they expect their trucks to be used for the haul road.

Many years ago, before I had my own pickup, I was reliant on a company pickup. But, they wouldn't have liked me driving it up the haul road. I looked at the options of renting and it would have cost something like $1,000 for a week. Instead, I bought a used pickup for about $4k, drove it up there, hunted for a week, put it on Craigslist when I got back and sold it for $4k. I don't even think i switched the title. I was pretty young/dumb and it might not fly for insurance purposes since I don't think I even switched the title. But, I think there is some sort of grace period to switch the title. Might be an option?

I also did the same thing with a motorhome when my wife had her family coming up for a visit. However, after having the motorhome for a couple weeks, my wife decided we weren't going to sell it. So, we still have that one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast