Thread: Skiing the Tordrillos

Default Skiing the Tordrillos

I've been dreaming of skiing the Tordrillos for years, so finally took the chance to check it out this past weekend. Only played around in the foothills, but it was still awesome! Unfortunately a friend had to turn around due to a problem with his airplane's ski, so ended up solo.

Hard to see, but this was the one good patch of soft snow in safe terrain that I found to ski. Had my eyes on some bigger lines in steeper terrain, but being alone I decided to play it safe.

Tons of terrain beckoning me back on my flight home. Can't wait for more!

Awesome!

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Supporting Member

The dream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ster w View Post
    The dream!
    the access! the weather! the lines! The dream!

Thanks for sharing. Inspiring photos!

if you get a chance, i would like to see how you're tying your skis to your plane. i haven't hooked any load to the exterior of a plane and would like to see how you do it.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    if you get a chance, i would like to see how you're tying your skis to your plane. i haven't hooked any load to the exterior of a plane and would like to see how you do it.
    thanks.
    I can certainly take a couple of pictures the next time I head out. I've only done exterior loads a couple of times. The first was with a caribou head, and in that case I used paracord to secure it tightly. On the advice of some pilots on another forum I bought some Titan Straps, and those are what I used for my skis.

thanks! does it seem like there's much vibration going on out there? that's one of the two concerns i'd have...1. gear banging around where i've tied it down and, obviously, 2. having something come partway untied.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    thanks! does it seem like there's much vibration going on out there? that's one of the two concerns i'd have...1. gear banging around where i've tied it down and, obviously, 2. having something come partway untied.
    None. Again, my experience is limited, but Iíve had zero issues with vibration. Granted, I made sure that things were very secure, but it was smooth flying both times.

It should be noted that Iím only cruising at 75-80 mph, so your experience may differ at higher airspeeds.