Thread: Garim 4008 & 5212 Connectivity

Default Garim 4008 & 5212 Connectivity

My SeaSport came with a Garmin 4008 which includes: Black box, radar, GPS and Autopilot. Everything works great. On the rear steering station is a older cheap Hummingbird fish finder. I found a Garmin 5212 touch screen in decent shape with all the cables and cover.

My thought is to put the 5212 up front (everything will connect and all accessories will work with the 5212). Run a networking cable and power cable
    to the rear station and mount the 4008 back there. The installation manual says that this is possible to network the units. The 4000 series and 5000 series are compatible.

Maybe use the Hummingbird for ice fishing.

That way when shrimping and trolling I will have everything all back there within reach at the rear pilot station. There is a roof in back to protect the unit from the rain.

Anyone see any issues in doing this?

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

There really shouldn't be. You can test it all on the dash before you go too deep into the install anyway. If you are going to remove the unit from the aft station, try to have the power on a switch so you don't have an open and hot 12v out there exposed to the elements, the power pins will corrode pretty fast.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Good idea with the power to the back unit. I suppose I could put a switch on the dash that has one of those built in lights that indicate that it is on. Or a small light in line to the power so that when it is on, the dash light will be on until the unit is powered off. Great idea! I hate it when I come back to boat next day and find out that I have left something on. There is a master power switch on the dash that kills everything but starting the engine so a thoughtful electrical connection will be critical. Thanks for the input.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Only question I would have is what network are you running? A Garmin Marine Network or a NMEA2000 network? Make sure you get the right connectors.

Garmin has three networking ports on the back of the unit that uses a networking cable (RJ45). You don't have to connect to the NEMA 2000 side at all. Anything connected to the front unit will function on the rear unit; radar, transducer.... The more I read, you can even "merge" your data points from one unit to the other. It sounds like the best idea. If the front unit crashes, I could even take the rear unit and put it up front to get by. There is even a GMS 10 Marine Network Port Expander if you have too many devices.

Patriot Life Member NRA

You are on the right track....

Dave I have a 4210 in the cabin and the 5008 on the rear steering helm. They are easy to hookup. The one thing you have to be careful of is when you copy one to the other. The boat on the 5212 will tell you how to do it. If you do it wrong it will wipe out all of your way points and routes. I would tell you how to do it but my boat is on my boat and I do not remember the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Dave I have a 4210 in the cabin and the 5008 on the rear steering helm. They are easy to hookup. The one thing you have to be careful of is when you copy one to the other. The boat on the 5212 will tell you how to do it. If you do it wrong it will wipe out all of your way points and routes. I would tell you how to do it but my boat is on my boat and I do not remember the steps.
    I have the manual and the way points are on a SD card. Might be a good idea to make a duplicate SD card just in case. Thanks for the warning!

Patriot Life Member NRA

Well today I received the 5212 and it looks great. Much bigger than the 4008 in comparison. It even came with three cables. Power was easy to figure out, the GPS cord and one other. I had to look at that one and wow, I can now input a camera (If I have the camera on my halibut pole is it "closely monitored"?) on the screen or connect it to a laptop and call the screen up there. Way too cool!

Patriot Life Member NRA