Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board of Fisheries 2019-2020 Proposal Book

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    The Red/Ayakulik and Karluk rivers got hammered by a couple lodges. Yes the trawl fisheries did not help. But those two rivers could never handle the pressure a couple of lodges put on them. They used to be world class rivers. Even catching a few huge steelies on their way out in the Spring. The rivers problem was also that they were a few of the rivers people could actually fly fish decently for Kings in the State. Miss those days.
    Your post intrigued me so much because I use to go there that I looked into it with kodiak fish and game stuff. According to the information the harvest rate on kings in the river was less than 5% before the population when down. I floated Karluk in the 1990’s maybe one trip I saw another group. There use to be a lodge at Karluk lagoon small operator there use to be a French guide who rented the cabin at portage until the landowner kicked him out that was in the 1980’s he left in the 1990’s. No sport harvest hammered the Karluk king please use facts. Thank you

Kid,

There was a lodge in Larsen Bay that pumped a lot of people onto that river.

Intriguing but provide the data. it just is not in existence, pol. Call I think it is Taylor in Kodiak the kings counted at weir compared sport take in the river is minuscule the harvest is not above 5% of what came in I do not think ever. They have the tables. When we floated for kings like I said before never saw anyone and when we got to lagoon the game and fish people at cabin at weir were happy to see us because they rarely saw anyone. The cabins at portage prior to the downturn in kings where ramshackle built in territorial days 2 of them slept 8 people 5 in bigger one 2-3 in small one. The portage is not a good area to fish kings dead water. So I do not know where all the lodge people stayed or fished. I stayed in both the cabins during June and for fall steelhead fishing in October - November several times now koniag inc. has them on lock down and has rebuilt them and added one based on what I can see on internet.

On a different subject does anyone think non resident fish guiding or alien non resident fish guiding should be prohibited this year to prevent spread of the corona virus to Alaska communities? It seems a foregone conclusion that no foreigners will come so if someone travels here from lower 48 do they quarantine for 14 days before they can interact with a guide and people to fish? Or can they ignore self quarantine and go do whatever in our communities? What about halibut charters that’s not much social distancing during the boat ride to the fishing grounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12