Thread: Ruger Gp100

Default Ruger Gp100

I went to the indoor range tonight with a few local guys. We were for the most part shooting rimfires but I wanted to run a box of ammo through my Glock 43X carry gun and did. The rest of the guys followed suit with center fires. One older guy had a real clean SS GP100. He had bought the gun, had it worked over by a good Smith and then never shot it. His arthritis made it to much to handle so he was wanting to sell it. He let me shoot 24 rounds through it and man was I hooked on that gun. It was like shooting a custom shop L-Frame. When he said $425 I said sold!

I had no idea that a GP 100 had that kind of potential. I'm stoaked!

What's it chambered for?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Yep. Was issued one in the academy. Shot 125gr+p out of it for 10 years before we had to transition to the Glock. I would have rather kept the GP but it made sense carrying more rounds in the plastic gun. The GP 100 had an awesome trigger pull, good balance and fit my hand like a glove. Only time it ever gave me a problem was on a training day after multiple-multiple boxes down range. It will get sticky if you shoot all day and not clean between the extraction star plate and the cylinder.

Sorry , it's a 357 mag!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Sorry , it's a 357 mag!
    Nice! 4" full lug? A couple decades ago I had a SS 6" target barrel. Like KCB says, it was a good gun. Now I have a Bowen GP-45 (my bucket list gun).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Yes 4" full lug. Serial number of 171-xxxxx indicates late 1988 or early 1989 production. The gun looks like new!

I have been wanting a 357 to carry on my hip while pheasant hunting as sometimes we jump a coyote out of his nest and he will stand there and stare at the bird dogs at 50 yards or so(it happened 4 times this past season). That is a long shot for my snubby SP101 and an even longer shot for my 20 gauge with improved cylinder and 6 shot. However doable with the GP100.....if I don't screw it up! Ha!

I have a pristine 686-4 in 4 inch but they are starting to be worth some money and hanging it on my hip and dragging it through the brush in the elements isn't going to happen. Having a rugged GP100 that shoots as well as that Smith is the answer.

Congrats! Had one in the 80's...fine revolvers.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I like mine. Bought it as a heavy duty 357 and it has been wonderful. 6" for this one. The trigger was very good out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yes 4" full lug. Serial number of 171-xxxxx indicates late 1988 or early 1989 production. The gun looks like new!

I have been wanting a 357 to carry on my hip while pheasant hunting as sometimes we jump a coyote out of his nest and he will stand there and stare at the bird dogs at 50 yards or so(it happened 4 times this past season). That is a long shot for my snubby SP101 and an even longer shot for my 20 gauge with improved cylinder and 6 shot. However doable with the GP100.....if I don't screw it up! Ha!

I have a pristine 686-4 in 4 inch but they are starting to be worth some money and hanging it on my hip and dragging it through the brush in the elements isn't going to happen. Having a rugged GP100 that shoots as well as that Smith is the answer.
    What variety of grips came on yours, and how do you like them?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I see that they also make it in a .44 Special. What a perfect personal defense caliber.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What variety of grips came on yours, and how do you like them?
    This one has Uncle Mike's grips. It shot good with them but I like the Hogues better. I'll probably go that route.

My little brother bought one about like this one off of gunbroker that has Pachmayr grips. I am anxious to shoot his with those grips.

I put Pachmayers on my Smith 44mag and liked them a lot. I now have the Hogues on my Ruger 45colt and like them as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either, it's just gonna be personal preference.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Love my 6" half-lug GP100. Great gun. Good buy.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble