Thread: Log Cabin Stain/Seal

Default Log Cabin Stain/Seal

Alright I'm sure this has been beat up on here but I suck at navigating the search on this page. I need to get some stain or sealant on my logs before the season turns colds. What stuff would folks recommend for the lowest maintenance possible? Might be moving out of state for a few years so using something that doesn't need to be reapplied every season is a bonus. I have been told everything from Permachink $100 a gallon stuff too $20 dollar a gallon CWF from home depot. What would you recommend??

Thanks,

A contractor friend of mine swears by some stuff called "Sikkens". SBS carries it. Also I like what is called ABR X100. It's a two part system....pre finish/finish. Sherwin Williams can get it for you.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I just stained our cabin, we used Superdeck log home oil finish. I am no expert but I think you want to stay away from water based urethanes. It came out well, we used a weed sprayer for a faster application and then brushed it. If and when I do it again I will get an electric spray gun. We applied a lot of stain and I was weary it would get sticky, it has not. It really absorbed into the wood nice and should protect it well. Time will tell.

I believe Home Depot sells it, I bought if off a gentlemen that had 5 gallons left over for $100 bill. The 5 gallons did the whole cabin with some left over.

Id post pictures but I guess they are too big...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    A contractor friend of mine swears by some stuff called "Sikkens". SBS carries it. Also I like what is called ABR X100. It's a two part system....pre finish/finish. Sherwin Williams can get it for you.

That's what we used on our cabin. Got it from SBS. We were happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    I just stained our cabin, we used Superdeck log home oil finish. I am no expert but I think you want to stay away from water based urethanes. It came out well, we used a weed sprayer for a faster application and then brushed it. If and when I do it again I will get an electric spray gun. We applied a lot of stain and I was weary it would get sticky, it has not. It really absorbed into the wood nice and should protect it well. Time will tell.

I believe Home Depot sells it, I bought if off a gentlemen that had 5 gallons left over for $100 bill. The 5 gallons did the whole cabin with some left over.

Id post pictures but I guess they are too big...
    We used some Superdeck on a dock. Boss didn't like it, as it did end up sticky. Ended up stripping the whole thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

I'm going to need to put something on my cedar logs pretty soon. So has the Sikkens held up for you pretty well? My friend said a place he did still looks new after a couple years. What color did you use? he sent me a pick of a can of cedar 077, but it looks too orange"ish" to me. Don't like orange, but it may turn more brown after application? I know the ABR X100 does.

Any of you guys use Timber Flex? I guess that was what was on my place for a very long time, I don't know how long as my house was built in the 70s, but it's all but gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm going to need to put something on my cedar logs pretty soon. So has the Sikkens held up for you pretty well? My friend said a place he did still looks new after a couple years. What color did you use? he sent me a pick of a can of cedar 077, but it looks too orange"ish" to me. Don't like orange, but it may turn more brown after application? I know the ABR X100 does.

Any of you guys use Timber Flex? I guess that was what was on my place for a very long time, I don't know how long as my house was built in the 70s, but it's all but gone now.
    Yes, it's held up good for the last 3 years. I can't remember the name of the color, but my wife says she thinks it may be natural oak. I think they recommend re-staining it in 5-10 years.

Sikkens? This is now PPG Prolix from what I am seeing. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jinak123 View Post
    From what I see Sikkens is a product by AkzoNobel. PPG Prolux is just one of their "brands" if you will. There are numerous brands. The can I was looking at is Sikkens ProLux Cetol SRD. After much searching I found this link on the AkzoNobel (huge) website: https://www.sikkens-wood-coatings.com/products/

Quote Originally Posted by jinak123 View Post
    I think that is correct. Four years ago I put Sikkens Prolux Cetol SRD on the logs of my cabin and have been very happy with the results. I have not noticed a need to recoat yet but know the time will come. When I did a google search of the original product PPG Prolux came up and it looks to be the same product, just a new name as it says on the can.