Thread: roof underlayment

Default roof underlayment

so utting on my plywood this weeked and have spoken to two metal roofing contractors. Both recomend using the new synthetic underlayment over tar paper, ( I have 30 lb tar paper sitting here, that I will take back) one was pretty insistant that my first two rows be ice and water sheild , other said not so important with this pitch, They are not making money on the underlayment, as I am doing that with the plywood , to dry it in b4 someone can get here to do the metal...so it was not like they were trying to upsell me on their service
    7/12 pitch, 5/8 cdx
    (If eves were not 20 feet off ground and ridge near 30 I would do metal roof myself)

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    so utting on my plywood this weeked and have spoken to two metal roofing contractors. Both recomend using the new synthetic underlayment over tar paper, ( I have 30 lb tar paper sitting here, that I will take back) one was pretty insistant that my first two rows be ice and water sheild , other said not so important with this pitch, They are not making money on the underlayment, as I am doing that with the plywood , to dry it in b4 someone can get here to do the metal...so it was not like they were trying to upsell me on their service
    7/12 pitch, 5/8 cdx
    (If eves were not 20 feet off ground and ridge near 30 I would do metal roof myself)
    If one of the contractors you're getting quotes/opinions from isn't Mitchell Twogood, you should be sure to contact him. You won't be disappointed you did. http://www.seamlessalaska.com/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If one of the contractors you're getting quotes/opinions from isn't Mitchell Twogood, you should be sure to contact him. You won't be disappointed you did. http://www.seamlessalaska.com/
    just read this after returning from picking up supplies from him, and we decided today (b4 reading this) that is who we will be using for install....well his brother

just read this after returning from picking up supplies from him, and we decided today (b4 reading this) that is who we will be using for install....well his brother
    Huh. Didn't know he had a brother working with him, but Mitchell is a good guy. You can't go wrong with him.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

We find decay under Graces here in SE. Clean under felt. Every area is different I guess and the only thing 2 roofers agree on is the 3rd one doesn’t know what he’s doing. Hahahaha.

I use 30# felt, that's pretty much it, never had a callback...have fixed a lot of that 3rd guy's work though....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

7/12 pitch, 5/8 cdx
    I had a 6:12 on my old place and only used felt. Never a problem. I did however go with Skyline roofing ie,.....no exposed screws. Wonderful stuff!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

plywood on and ice/water shield and synthetic underlayment. Killer weekend for two guys ( and me being 67, the other 32). Nice to be dried in. We chose roofer adn he will do it in two weeks, since its and easy one ( but up high, 2nd story) he is squeezing us in between other jobs.

thanks for all the advice

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I had a 6:12 on my old place and only used felt. Never a problem. I did however go with Skyline roofing ie,.....no exposed screws. Wonderful stuff!
    Same thing, Skyline is great roofing.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Huh. Didn't know he had a brother working with him, but Mitchell is a good guy. You can't go wrong with him.
    he does not work "with him" but has his own company doing installs..."Ever Dry Roofing". Name is Weston. At least he said he was his brother and only uses Seemeless for his supplies. Did not get a chance to confirm with Mitchell as he was not there the other day when we were picking up underlayment.